• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a deliberate and concerted campaign. All part of the attempts to snuff out any criticism of Israel, as we enter the endgame where Israel annexes the West Bank for good.

In the UK there is no honest and unbiased reporting on the Israeli occupation and terrorism of the Palestinian people, nor has there been for maybe a decade.

Re:

macbindle said:
Or a deliberate and concerted campaign. All part of the attempts to snuff out any criticism of Israel, as we enter the endgame where Israel annexes the West Bank for good.

In the UK there is no honest and unbiased reporting on the Israeli occupation and terrorism of the Palestinian people, nor has there been for maybe a decade.
Certain people get very, very angry if you suggest this, yet all the evidence I can find points to that as the main conclusion.

Re:

King Boonen said:

When you don't trust the system ... :cry:

(If this was the US though I'd bet they'd milk it for all it's worth. Wheel her in on a guerny complete with drip, dressed in hospital smock, team of midwives and a doctor (actors would do), a brave smile and a little wave to her colleagues on the back benches. Stirring stuff, brings a tear to the eye.)

Re:

macbindle said:

Could be right there ...
https://www.middleeasteye.net/palestinian-state-west-bank-israeli-settlements
A newly appointed Israeli minister on Sunday dismissed the possibility of establishing a Palestinian state in the West Bank and called for the occupied territory to be annexed.

"Settlements are the new Zionism of the 21st century,” Immigration and Absorption Minister Yoav Galant said.

During an election campaign stop in an illegal Israeli settlement in the West Bank, Galant said: "I am clearly saying no to a Palestinian state. It is not possible to have more than one state west of the Jordan River.”

“We will work to apply sovereignty in all of Judea and Samaria and to strengthen the settlements,” he added, using the terms Israel uses for the West Bank.
Israel’s nation-state law that passed last July stated that building and strengthening the settlements is a “national interest.”

Galant was appointed to his position last week after leaving Kulanu party and joining Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party.

He is formerly the commander of the Israeli army's Southern Command, and led Israel's war in the Gaza Strip in March 2010 that killed 1,400 Palestinians.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
macbindle said:

Certain people get very, very angry if you suggest this, yet all the evidence I can find points to that as the main conclusion.

Sounds like a load iof bollocks to me, it seems the bloke whose awful article you linked to learn't nowt from Macpherson

It all boils down to Corbynistas don't like criticism and will hound and harass those that criticise, and magic grandpa is happy for it to happen.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Of course she will. Hardly anyone in Parliament wants Corbyn as PM, no one in the other parties wants the job and they’re all to scared a GE will be an enormous crap-shoot. It’s just a good way to waste another day...

Britan's PM - the job no one wants. Maybe some one from the Monster Raving Loony Party ("Vote For Insanity") would be appropriate? :D
Corbyn to strengthen the base and do some politcal theatre.

Re:

macbindle said:
Seems like a pointless act. No Tory will vote against it's own government, nor will the DUP bite the hand that feeds it.

Like everything in politics currently, it will be ephemeral.

If the Tories had some backbone, they'd say to the DUP either accept the referendum and a EU border or join the rest of Ireland and leave the UK.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
so what is next ?

that may will survive a no confidence vote seems to flow from a recent survival of the same, though, i would not bet on anything in the current mess the uk politicians are...

an extension beyond march seems the only non-option that would fit all the parties (in a pan-european sense). the eu brass are likely as confused as the british at the moment. i mean the difficulty of the 27 unified opinions about what they want next.

after all, kicking the can down the road is what the politicians are best at. another plebiscite is a theoretical possibility but i cant see the conservatives allowing it. and even if it went through and the brexit was entirely reversed, there is no way germany and france would allow a pre-2016 british perks negotiated with the eu to stand. it would be a less influential, more dependent uk where germany would increasingly tells the brits what to do...a historic nightmare for the uk.

I was listening to LBC on the way home from work 2 days ago and they had a labour MP on and she got asked would Corbyn make a good PM and she couldn’t answer yes...his own party don’t want him as PM, the mess the tories are in and labour can still f#ck this up

Robert5091 said:
macbindle said:
Seems like a pointless act. No Tory will vote against it's own government, nor will the DUP bite the hand that feeds it.

If the Tories had some backbone, they'd say to the DUP either accept the referendum and a EU border or join the rest of Ireland and leave the UK.

Right wing Nationalism, and in the UK its twin brother Unionism, mean it's more than just the DUP and their supporters who are against a unified Ireland (and there's plenty of Unionism on the left too). Would be party suicide to offer such an ultimatum.

python said:
so what is next ?

that may will survive a no confidence vote seems to flow from a recent survival of the same, though, i would not bet on anything in the current mess the uk politicians are...

an extension beyond march seems the only non-option that would fit all the parties (in a pan-european sense). the eu brass are likely as confused as the british at the moment. i mean the difficulty of the 27 unified opinions about what they want next.

after all, kicking the can down the road is what the politicians are best at. another plebiscite is a theoretical possibility but i cant see the conservatives allowing it. and even if it went through and the brexit was entirely reversed, there is no way germany and france would allow a pre-2016 british perks negotiated with the eu to stand. it would be a less influential, more dependent uk where germany would increasingly tells the brits what to do...a historic nightmare for the uk.

I don't see what France and Germany could do. Cancelling Article 50 would return us to the status quo as far as I'm aware. We would no doubt see a lot of resistance from the EU to our influence to start with, but maybe it would bring around a step change in British politics and we'd stop using the EU as an easy scapegoat and actually involve ourselves more (Wishful thinking I know).

I think an extension is almost certain now, and the EU have said they will vote for it in the specific case of avoiding a no-deal while the UK sorts out what it wants. They won't extend it for more negotiation, so Labour claiming they can get a better deal is just stupid, and as such a general election just feels like another massive waste of time.

Jagartrott said:
May's negotiated deal was pretty much the one that anyone could have predicted 2.5 years ago. But somehow, there are still plenty of Brits that think this is not enough? Amazing, the disconnect to reality.

I don't think you can blame the British people. They were promised everything under the sun from politicians and the press. Of course there were plenty of people saying that it wasn't going to happen but with two such opposing viewpoints it's hard for people to do anything other than back a horse or spend a long time looking into the facts and some of it is really hard to understand.

rick james said:
I was listening to LBC on the way home from work 2 days ago and they had a labour MP on and she got asked would Corbyn make a good PM and she couldn’t answer yes...his own party don’t want him as PM, the mess the tories are in and labour can still f#ck this up

Corbyn is massively at odds with the majority of his party and their base now I think. I used to have more respect for him as he stood by his views but would go with the party line when there was such a difference. That's changed and as such even his own MPs don't want to back him as they know he'll end up in the same position as May and Labour will be where the Tories are now, taking the blame.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
kingboonen, i am pretty clear on the british law regarding the article 50. but i dont know if the existing eu rules allow to automatically go to the status quo in an unlikely, but lets suppose a theoretical case the brexit was reversed. lets assume it is so.

the unmodified,' welcome back' would contradict a general tendency of the eu to extract a price for the brexit during the long and painful negotiations. not only, there is likely a fatigue (if not an irritation) with some eu countries re. 'we-are-out-we-in' and 'we-decide-when-and-if', it is likely there is a genuine concern within the eu big wigs as to reliance on a british negotiated position given the (understandable) domestic mess that the brexit caused to begin with.

beside the eu bureaucrats would want to 'teach a lesson' anyone that would even think of an exit..i just dont think given the experience i had acquired watching the euro politics, that business as before is possible.

besides, there are my own premonitions that have to do with franco-german initiatives of a more independent europe (the eu army etc) that the uk had always and vigorously objected based on it's privileged relations with america...

there is a price to pay for ANY mistake. and the brexit was not just a mistake but a blunder.

There was a judgement by the European court that the UK could unilaterally cancel article 50 and be back on the same terms but that is unlikely to happen.

Anyway I am not sure how the UK can get out of the current mess.

Possibly May could put the deal to a referendum, though this opens up a can of worms, what would the question be, would a rejection mean renegotiation, no deal or staying in the EU.

A general election most likely leave us just where we are today with small changes in numbers, the problem with the first past the post system means that political parties MPs are a mish mash of different viewpoints

I am not sure May can reach over to a cross house support for some kind of Brexit because of the baggage she has, could another Tory leader do this, I can't think of anyone and Corbyn i charge of Labour makes it much more difficult anyway

Perhaps if those who Labour MPs who don't like Corbyn formed a new party, (they can't change the leadership), then there may be a way forward, but I can't see this don't underestimate the psychological attachment to the Labour brand.

So we may be stuck with No deal brexit.

King Boonen said:
Robert5091 said:
macbindle said:

Right wing Nationalism, and in the UK its twin brother Unionism, mean it's more than just the DUP and their supporters who are against a unified Ireland (and there's plenty of Unionism on the left too). Would be party suicide to offer such an ultimatum.

The irony is Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU, but this dumb a**e "backstop" idea is absurd. If a no-deal Brexit happens with the UK economy tanking, then it won't be long before there's a "leaky" border.

As the saying goes, "you've made your bed, now lie in it."

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
people should stop repeating nonsensical 'boogeymans' spun by the irresponsible politicians about the british economy doomsday etc.

the markets may stumble for few days, the stupid journos may go into their wow neurosis, but with or without a deal, hard or soft, the british economy is too big, resilient and interconnected to tank. nor anyone, including the evil russians and the chinese, seeing a perverse interest in such.

had it been a smaller less important player, sure, it would be sunk with pleasure by many. or carved and split like the british empire used to do its colonies till very recently...but no worry is necessary, the british may split into peaces
themselves....

Actually you are wrong.

There is a myriad of evidence from non-political sources within industry about the potential for disaster with a no-deal Brexit. It is not for no reason that key foreign investors in the automotive industry are already moving out. There are literally NO credible voices from within industry who are not sh1tting themselves over a no deal. Within parliament, regardless of which side of the Brexit debate, almost nobody is advocating a no deal Brexit beyond a handful of loonies. A no deal will not happen.

These are real issues and should not be talked about glibly and with no evidence. From your previous posts it is clear that you lack understanding of not only the intricacies of the issues, but also the political landscape. If you did you wouldn't be in any doubt about the outcome of today's no confidence vote. There is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER that May will lose.
This whole issue is intractable because of the paradox of democracy, and the orthogonal relationship between a democratic parliamentary system and the plebiscite vote.

None of the key players in the EU want to see Brexit because not only is the UK a heavy contributor to the UK budget, but also because a Brexit that puts the UK in an equal or better position than the status quo would fuel the growing right-wing nationalist moments in other EU countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS