• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
wansteadimp said:
Probably not worth a thread of its own, I came across an old article regarding Michele Verroken's sacking from Drug-free Sport.

She was a driving force for transparency in the fight against doping in the UK.

She was summarily sacked without explanation in early 2004, the main points are in this article:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/2386709/Verroken-refuses-to-go-quietly.html

I've read rumours that it may have been linked to Rio's failed drug, it was also about 18 months before London won the Olympic bid, it may be she was just doing the job too well for the vested interests or there may have been a legitimate reason (not holding my breath on that).

Anyone have any better info as to what actually happened?
indeed very interesting.
Very telling.
Mirrors what we see in other countries, e.g. germany where the government recently interfered to make sure that a damning report on doping would not get published.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
indeed very interesting.
Very telling.
Mirrors what we see in other countries, e.g. germany where the government recently interfered to make sure that a damning report on doping would not get published.
and Puerto swept under the rug 'cept for the usefil village idjits the cyclists.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
EnacheV said:
maybe i'm a little back on info but UK didn't even had a proper constitution few years ago.

they seem to pedal much on tradition and trust

which ofc is stupid and with rules like the quoted above no wonder brits never test positive

Well it is true but posters really should quote the full text of that section:

The requirements vary depending on the level of the athlete. For advice on determining whether, and when, a TUE is required, use the guidance form When to apply for a TUE.

An athlete not required to apply for a TUE prior to competition can make a retrospective TUE application to UK Anti-Doping. This must be no later than ten working days following sample collection.

Even if an athlete is eligible to apply for a retrospective TUE, checks should be made with the prescribing physician that the criteria and medical evidence needed by the Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee (TUEC) can be met before the athlete uses any prohibited substance or method.

Kind of gives a slightly different slant on it don't you think ...

Not Sky and the Sir Dave thread is closed

Sutton left to run the show at BC.

Taylor left Cloughie to do it on his own because Taylor thought he could. This is a case of Sir Dave leaving Sutton to do it on his own because Shane thought he could. "So you think you can get by without me Shane do you. Well let's just give that a go."

Best thing that could have happened. Sky will be stable. British Cycling with Sutton in charge. As the eloquent poster put it a few years ago when Floyd wrote us his letter - I am going to pull up a chair and a case of beer. This is going to be one to watch.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
Sutton left to run the show at BC.

Taylor left Cloughie to do it on his own because Taylor thought he could. This is a case of Sir Dave leaving Sutton to do it on his own because Shane thought he could. "So you think you can get by without me Shane do you. Well let's just give that a go."

Best thing that could have happened. Sky will be stable. British Cycling with Sutton in charge. As the eloquent poster put it a few years ago when Floyd wrote us his letter - I am going to pull up a chair and a case of beer. This is going to be one to watch.

I find it almost unbelievable that they'd leave Sutton in charge, given the ghosts in his past. But there you go.

Brits dont dope

Mr Sutton signed the Team Sky letter saying he never had anything to do with doping during his entire cycling career.
He also told the Mail on Sunday that he 'had been tested 100's of times and never failed a dope test'
100 % Mr Clean

thats why BC still employ him..

and his ghosts are still hidden in the closet !!!

There was a seperate Shane Sutton Thread on CN

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
orbeas said:
Mr Sutton signed the Team Sky letter saying he never had anything to do with doping during his entire cycling career.
He also told the Mail on Sunday that he 'had been tested 100's of times and never failed a dope test'
100 % Mr Clean

thats why BC still employ him..

and his ghosts are still hidden in the closet !!!

There was a seperate Shane Sutton Thread on CN

Just quoting a "tested 100's of times and never failed" just looks like you are trying to paint him as another LA. Post the links (even if they are CN ones) and I will read them - not difficult ...

Justinr said:
Just quoting a "tested 100's of times and never failed" just looks like you are trying to paint him as another LA. Post the links (even if they are CN ones) and I will read them - not difficult ...

Don't you worry JR, Brits don't dope. They are just morally unable. Especially the English ... it has something to do with weather and the queen. The Welsh are unlikely and the Scots, well it's more of a mixed bag; but if the Scots do, they repent big time!

So you can feel much better.

There's nothing to see here.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Ripper said:
Don't you worry JR, Brits don't dope. They are just morally unable. Especially the English ... it has something to do with weather and the queen. The Welsh are unlikely and the Scots, well it's more of a mixed bag; but if the Scots do, they repent big time!

So you can feel much better.

There's nothing to see here.

All I asked for was a link - if it was that easy then why not post it ...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't find a thread for this so decided to put it here.

Walsh has spoken about this today and I wonder what it is he is referring to.

"I just hope I never stop being a journalist," he says. "The sportswriting is fine but journalism is all about that business of comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable. That's what we should be doing." It appears that he's about to become unpopular all over again. Next week, he reveals, "I'll be pursuing a fantastic story of corruption in British sport. It will appal people and I know it will be incredibly difficult to get into print." He confided some details and I can see why it is likely to prove explosive. Alex Butler, be prepared.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/20/lance-armstrong-david-walsh-drug-addled-cycling

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Justinr said:
It will be interesting to see what thats about. Maybe, just maybe, it has f****k all to do with SKY despite The Sceptics post above ...

I would be shocked if that has anything to do with sky.

I was just commenting on the general tone of the article, painting Walsh as a lone anti doping crusader, working against an endless stream of fans with typewrites until one day he gets the dream gig with sky, and becomes their biggest fan.