• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
martinvickers said:
We can safely say, however, that the post 2012 spiral is not done yet. Which, given the time frame suggests Wiggins is done entirely. He'll see out the (huge) contract, collect his silver, and then just f*** off. Hopefully.

I am waiting in anticipation for the public rants. Sky's got quite a bit to worry about with that loose cannon.

Though, it's unfortunate and I hope he can get himself into a sober lifestyle before then. But I doubt it. No "rock bottom" yet.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
It's just getting better.
Dan Hunt to save English football.
Dan Hunt, who replaced Sean Yates as sporting director at Team Sky in January, is understood to have been hired as the Premier League's director of elite performance. He will be expected to work with clubs to effect a shift in the mind-set of English football in an attempt to reverse the alarming decline in opportunities for homegrown players.

The document also highlighted the need for football to be less myopic and look to learn lessons from other sports and disciplines, from music and ballet to rugby and cycling.
but of course.

The "aggregation of marginal gains" theory that has seen first Peter Keen and then Sir Dave Brailsford transform British cycling into a world leading force on the track and the road and latterly provided two successive British Tour de France winners, has become a cliche in sports performance circles.
the basic premise – a restless curiosity to look for anything that will deliver a performance advantage, from sports science and medicine to coaching and psychology
the new system, which grades academies according to their coaching and facilities, would lead to more consistency of philosophy and approach across the game.

"more consistency of philosophy"
"different mindset":rolleyes:
time to bump the "other names for dope and doping"thread

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:

but of course.

Brailsford supposedly turned down a role a few weeks back with the new 8 man FA commission(Rio Ferdinand, Glenn Hoddle, Danny Mills, Hodgson, etc) that Greg **** set up to get the England team in winning mode for the 2022 World Cup.

Football is taking glances over in that direction.

EDIT: word filter again

sniper said:

but of course.

Right. An industry in which one players transfer fee can be worth as much as the entire annual budget for like 50% of world tour teams put together and where the economic impact of success/failure at the international level rises into the billions, has never considered using science to improve performance:rolleyes:

gooner said:
Brailsford supposedly turned down a role a few weeks back with the new 8 man FA commission(Rio Ferdinand, Glenn Hoddle, Danny Mills, Hodgson, etc) that Greg **** set up to get the England team in winning mode for the 2022 World Cup.

Maybe he realized the eventual "so, what is the secret", brainstorm meeting, would go down a bit like Homer Simpson's one in that episode where everyone loves him for saving the city from a meltdown, but overestimates the intelligence behind how he pulled it off.

"Train 2 hours more every day". "wear out football boots till they are at ideal elasticity". I fear the commission would end up feeling a bit like I did when as a 3 year old I realized I can't make a chocolate bar reappear by pointing a toy wand at the wrapper.

Homerdefined_zps09006419.png

Eenie meenie miney moe. Did Brailsford invent science? The answer is, `No'.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
martinvickers said:
As for RTE/Ireland, I think Dan Martin ought to win it, would love it if Martyn Irvine did win it, have come round to believing Rob Heffernan will win it. McCoy, bizarrely enough will not.

(I know my own country is strictly off topic, but I couldn't not tip te cap to Martin and Irvine, sorry)

You will be staggered to hear Dan Martin didn't even make the shortlist of 11 for it. I still can't get my head around it.

Irvine did though.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
You will be staggered to hear Dan Martin didn't even make the shortlist of 11 for it. I still can't get my head around it.

Irvine did though.

Saw the list. O'Brien was very lucky to edge out Martin, and frankly, eleven seems an arbitrary number; should have gone for the dozen and included Dan - hope his Brum accent hasn't been held against him; that would annoy me intensely.

Given Jason Smyth's relationship to Tyson Gay, his selection looks...brave. Wonder what's happening in the Gay case actually - has there been a hearing?

Back to the RTE 11, quite a solid list all round, mind - usual nod to Gah, had forgotten the sailor, notable lack of golfers. Other than bonkers omission of Martin, hard to argue with it. Sexton nomination maybe a bit generous after mediocre 6N and a welsh dominated lions tour, but then I'm biased 'cos I have no affinity with the lions anyway.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
gooner said:

Irvine did though.

Amazed to hear that. During a recent visit I was surprised how many riders were out training in November, it seemed cyclings profile is the highest since the days of Kelly and Roche. It cant be the Brummie thing, bias like that would be completely atypical. Anyway, Chapeau Dan for a brilliant season which I'm certain would have been even better without the Vuelta crash. Some comittee should review their selection criteria.

MartinGT said:
The panel for the UK award is laughable, a bunch of people who have never even been involved in Elite sport apart from watching it on their fat a@rses.

Not all of them.

I think Tanni Grey-Thompson, Kelly Holmes and Marcus Trescothick may dispute to varying degrees the never having been involved in Elite sport.

Avoriaz said:
Not all of them.

I think Tanni Grey-Thompson, Kelly Holmes and Marcus Trescothick may dispute to varying degrees the never having been involved in Elite sport.

:D

I was sent this list from a mate.
Director of BBC Sport - Barbara Slater (Chair)
BBC head of TV Sport - Philip Bernie
Executive editor of BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Carl Doran
From BBC Radio 5 live - Mark Pougatch (presenter, 5 live Sport)
Three newspaper sports editors (to be rotated annually) - in 2013, Alison Kervin (Mail on Sunday), Adam Sills (Daily Telegraph), Dominic Hart (Mirror)
A multi-sport broadcaster/journalist - Sue Barker
Liz Nicholl, chief executive of UK Sport

Yes Sue Barker played Tennis, but I think she is more famous for trying to n0b the captains on Question of Sport.

I do apologies anyways for my outburst. I shall not be watching it. Total laughable award when they have Golfers, Darts and Snooker players on it.

Probably not worth a thread of its own, I came across an old article regarding Michele Verroken's sacking from Drug-free Sport.

She was a driving force for transparency in the fight against doping in the UK.

She was summarily sacked without explanation in early 2004, the main points are in this article:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/2386709/Verroken-refuses-to-go-quietly.html

I've read rumours that it may have been linked to Rio's failed drug, it was also about 18 months before London won the Olympic bid, it may be she was just doing the job too well for the vested interests or there may have been a legitimate reason (not holding my breath on that).

Anyone have any better info as to what actually happened?

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
UKAD allows for ten days to make a RETROACTIVE application for a TUE AFTER a test...WTF.

maybe i'm a little back on info but UK didn't even had a proper constitution few years ago.

they seem to pedal much on tradition and trust

which ofc is stupid and with rules like the quoted above no wonder brits never test positive

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Linford Christie was the best ever..

he used to dress up in a T-shirt with a big splash on it 'DRUG FREE'

and then he said one time drug cheats should be jailed..

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
wansteadimp said:
Probably not worth a thread of its own, I came across an old article regarding Michele Verroken's sacking from Drug-free Sport.

She was a driving force for transparency in the fight against doping in the UK.

She was summarily sacked without explanation in early 2004, the main points are in this article:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/2386709/Verroken-refuses-to-go-quietly.html

I've read rumours that it may have been linked to Rio's failed drug, it was also about 18 months before London won the Olympic bid, it may be she was just doing the job too well for the vested interests or there may have been a legitimate reason (not holding my breath on that).

Anyone have any better info as to what actually happened?

No further info, but this certainly opens up some interesting avenues for further research. Thanks.