• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
lemoogle said:
This is the most ridiculous misinterpretation of what he said ever.
He was on topic because this thread turned into general athletics talk due to the world champs. Then he brought up edwards because even a performance of 18.04 which is one of the 3 greatest performances of all time is still so far from Edwards' world record, which is a record from the era that was being discussed as being very suspicious in the very same thread.

Nothing to do about him being british, only his comment on "should we treat edwards the same as all the other record breakers from that era, or not because he is british " .

Hey, he introduced "british uber race theory", not me. You interpret how you like. It reads pretty damm clearly.

Pharazon said:
triple jumping is a different kind of thing though because it's so weirdly technical..

take a look at his 18.43 wind assisted jump... the rythm is just perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUJ2GfVkKY

Not saying it exactly correlates but, how long did Bob Beamon's record stand ? (Not quite 23 years I checked).
Even he never could get the perfect alignment of that one jump again, and didn't come within 2 feet of that effort in competition.

Sometimes in those events the perfect storm arises.

(The only holder of a the long jump record that lasted longer than BB is Jesse Owens, anyone care to run his name through the grinder ?)

Catwhoorg said:
Not saying it exactly correlates but, how long did Bob Beamon's record stand ? (Not quite 23 years I checked).
Even he never could get the perfect alignment of that one jump again, and didn't come within 2 feet of that effort in competition.

Sometimes in those events the perfect storm arises.

(The only holder of a the long jump record that lasted longer than BB is Jesse Owens, anyone care to run his name through the grinder ?)

Edwards has something like 6 out of 10 best jumps of all time.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
mikeoneill said:
lewis and powell has 2 of the top 3 alltime LJ from topkyo 91

isn't steroids supposed to be very effective for LJ and TJ?

More so for Long jump I guess to look at the guys. It seems that for triple jump being a lighter weight makes it easy for you to travel through the air as opposed to the powerful run up of the long jump.

Fat burners like thyroxine might be more prevalent in triple jump but I don't know.

The link below shows the top 10 triple jumpers of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAgLGLPtOnE

That wind-assisted 18.43 looks crazy, he was almost in the pit as he was taking the jump!

Toplist of all time is below. Note that it only takes the longest jump at each meeting. Edwards' 18.16 at gothenburg isnt included for this reason.

http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/jumps/triple-jump/outdoor/men/senior

Dull bike related trivia, i once saw Jonathan Edwards walking near my workplace carrying a bike.

lemoogle said:
This is the most ridiculous misinterpretation of what he said ever.
He was on topic because this thread turned into general athletics talk due to the world champs. Then he brought up edwards because even a performance of 18.04 which is one of the 3 greatest performances of all time is still so far from Edwards' world record, which is a record from the era that was being discussed as being very suspicious in the very same thread.

Nothing to do about him being british, only his comment on "should we treat edwards the same as all the other record breakers from that era, or not because he is british " .

Exactly. It's simple enough to understand.

Martin does go full *** though from time to.time.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Exactly. It's simple enough to understand.

Martin does go full *** though from time to.time.

I tell you what. How about I give you the benefit of the doubt on this, and we actually try and have a conversation for a change? You in?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Who will win the british doper of the year award?
Chris Froome is one of 10 sportspeople nominated for the 2013 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The Tour de France winner joins sailor Ben Ainslie, cricketer Ian Bell, wheelchair sprinter Hannah Cockcroft, runner Mo Farah, rugby player Leigh Halfpenny, jockey AP McCoy, tennis player Andy Murray, runner Christine Ohuruogu and golfer Jutin Rose.

Wimbledon champion Murray is the runaway bookies' favourite to take the win.

Last year the award was won by 2012 Tour de France champion and Olympic time trial gold medallist Bradley Wiggins. Mark Cavendish scooped the award in 2011, and track sprinter Chris Hoy won it in 2008. Before Hoy, the only cyclist to have won the award since its inception in 1954 was Tom Simpson in 1965.

Dawg deserves this. His domination this season was special.

the sceptic said:
Who will win the british doper of the year award?

Dawg deserves this. His domination this season was special.

Cound is at home now speed dialling in the votes for Dawg. Maybe Walsh will pump through a few calls to secure the victory which will make a perfect chapter to the new autobiography.

Everyone knows Murray is going to win that thing by around the same margin as Saddam Hussein used to win his general elections.

But I supposed BBC SPOTY does have some relevance in the clinic in that it presents the idealistic utopian, good vs evil, truimph vs lazyness, simplistic attitude to sport that gives doping the perfect everlasting cover.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
The bodybuilder with the racket will take it.
you mean this guy?

article-0-058FE04C000005DC-545_468x582.jpg
murray_798430c.jpg

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
1. Murray, by a lage distance, but not the utter mile some suspect
2. Farah
3. McCoy
4. Ainslie
5. Froome

None of the rest matter in votes terms, although Halfpenny might be a wildcard if the ruggerb*****s vote en masse. Ohurougu remains unforgiven.

Coach of the year will go to Gatland, the ****. (No, I'm not forgiving him)

Most unlucky to miss, in my humble, probably David Florence; first slalom canoist to do the c1. c2 world double in 60 years - but sport's far too niche.

(Oddly Interesting titbit - no English born winner since ZaraPhilips in 2006 - 07 Calzaghe (WAL), 08 Hoy (SCO), 09 Giggs (WAL), 10 McCoy (IRE), 11 Cavendish (IOM), 12 Wiggins (BEL) - front runners this year - another Scot, the same Ulsterman, and two African born.)

As for RTE/Ireland, I think Dan Martin ought to win it, would love it if Martyn Irvine did win it, have come round to believing Rob Heffernan will win it. McCoy, bizarrely enough will not.

(I know my own country is strictly off topic, but I couldn't not tip te cap to Martin and Irvine, sorry)

gooner said:
Here's your sports personality of the year from last year. What an ***hole.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...x-jibe-only-moments-after-victim-leaves-stage

Sounds like he's in full control. Luckily those advisors apologised.

Sure this guy won't spill the beans?

“Initially there was just stunned silence. It was bizarre and shocking”

The cyclist made the sick joke into a microphone just moments after an abuse victim had left many of the audience in tears as she recounted her harrowing ordeal.

As compere Jon Hammond approached Wiggins, who had donated a signed shirt for the auction, his face appeared on a giant video screen as he told Mr Hammond: “You’ve got a posh voice. I like posh voices. S*** me off.”

Last night advisers to the Tour de France legend issued an apology for the crude remark, which Wiggins made at the £300-a-head Firecracker Ball in aid of the Barnardo’s children charity.

Fellow guests said drink had been flowing “extremely freely” at Rudding Park Hotel near Harrogate, North Yorks.