• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

kwikki said:
No medals at all so far for any GB athlete.
Nobody can stop us now.

I guess none of the men want to become a Knight and the women don't want to become whatever the female equivalent is.

Re:

sniper said:
Where did those marginal gains go?

To be honest their tactics in both men's and women's races was poor. With fewer riders and non-ability to ride tempo for 90% course makes Team GB rather ineffective.

In the men's race they missed supporting Thomas 100%, splitting between Froome and Thomas was a poor idea. Alas they weren't going to beat Nibali if he stayed upright.

The women's course didn't suit LA, wasn't going to happen and Pooley strangely did way too much work early on.

Bad tactics to in both races; Team USA played it perfectly but still didn't win. Holland probably just a little better.

Re:

kwikki said:
No medals at all so far for any GB athlete.
Nobody can stop us now.

They need this guy, downshifters and toe clips, believe he's also using the new latex/lyrca spray on trousers. He's in a very aero position. I believe he just lost the fat and the engine has always been there.

2vaflw5.jpg

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

msjett said:
According to Sir Wiggo we are obsessed with beating the brits....except if you a Richie Porte.

Well, there always seems to be toys out of the pram when GB beats Australia ;)

I'd say that is really visible in Rugby, a little bit in cricket, and these days track cycling, but that's about it.

I suppose the first two of those sports are British created during the years of empire, so that feeds right into the Australian feelings of pride/insecurity at being an almost ex colony :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thing is, 99.9% of aussies couldn't give a rats about cycling let alone track cycling, and it was hidden in the news from around the world page, not in the sports section...but it made me smile.

And we deserved the hiding we got in the rugby, the wobbilies had a screamer at the world cup, but haven't really done shite since....

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I suppose Wiggo is really talking about the Team pursuit, and it is a 2 horse race.

I really like the fact there are 2 super motivated teams taking it to such a high level of expertise. I don't really mind who wins, because whoever it is, it will be close and well-earned

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
For those still moaning about the clinic giving disproportionate attention to brits, consider bbc s latest piece claiming/stating the vast majority of Olympic athletes is clean.
Then try to show me similar rubbish from any other state's media, Spanish or German or Dutch or whatever.

Re:

sniper said:
For those still moaning about the clinic giving disproportionate attention to brits, consider bbc s latest piece claiming/stating the vast majority of Olympic athletes is clean.
Then try to show me similar rubbish from any other state's media, Spanish or German or Dutch or whatever.

Under the bizarre, Orwellian relationship the BBC has with the serving government (George "BB" Orwell worked there during the war), they are one of the few state broadcasters to have exclusive broadcast rights to the Olympics. This access to significant sporting events is becoming increasingly threatened. The editorial line will be to assure viewers that what they are watching is not fake until "Auntie" loses all the rights.

It's complicated.

As I say, the most famous novel of the 20th century was inspired by Orwell's unhappy time working there.

Re:

sniper said:
How about Bolt's comments at his presser? Want to bet Jamaican media doesn't disagree with the claim that the majority of the 11,000+ athletes compete clean? Doesn't Russian media claim the majority of their athletes compete clean? Can you find a quote from US Olympic broadcaster NBC that actually says the majority of athletes are not clean? Let's be real here a moment: these TV companies have paid large amounts of money to secure the rights to the Games - do you really think they're going to piss all over that by telling the viewers that what they're seeing is a joke? Really? Is that compatible with being a card-carrying clinic cynic? Wouldn't I be naïve if I really expected that?

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:
How about Bolt's comments at his presser? Want to bet Jamaican media doesn't disagree with the claim that the majority of the 11,000+ athletes compete clean? Doesn't Russian media claim the majority of their athletes compete clean? Can you find a quote from US Olympic broadcaster NBC that actually says the majority of athletes are not clean? Let's be real here a moment: these TV companies have paid large amounts of money to secure the rights to the Games - do you really think they're going to piss all over that by telling the viewers that what they're seeing is a joke? Really? Is that compatible with being a card-carrying clinic cynic? Wouldn't I be naïve if I really expected that?

I think the point is that this is the state broadcaster who have got the rights for peanuts.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

buckle said:
sniper said:

Under the bizarre, Orwellian relationship the BBC has with the serving government (George "BB" Orwell worked there during the war), they are one of the few state broadcasters to have exclusive broadcast rights to the Olympics. This access to significant sporting events is becoming increasingly threatened. The editorial line will be to assure viewers that what they are watching is not fake until "Auntie" loses all the rights.

It's complicated.

As I say, the most famous novel of the 20th century was inspired by Orwell's unhappy time working there.
yeah, good point, and i get that.

It's just so disappointing. We're still in the aftermath of Lance's exposure but the British mainstream media just continue their blind support for cheating and fraud.
To my knowledge, the BBC are quite a bit worse than their German, French and even Spanish counterparts.

Interesting about Orwell, I didn't know.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:
Jamaica and Bolt do get their fair share of flack from the social media's antidoping trolls though, don't you think?
The moaning, I guess (not sure), has been about Britain getting too much flack relative to countries such as France, Spain, Russia, and Germany, not relative to Jamaica.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
sniper said:

Nailed.

Some posters never take the time to try and think things through from other perspectives than their own.

TRENDING THREADS