• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Expletive in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Matt-White-Screenshot-2019-05-21-TOUGH-TIME-TRIAL-2019-GIRO-D-ITA.png

Chaves quietly building his form at Giro d'Italia
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chaves-quietly-building-his-form-at-giro-ditalia/

Mitchelton-Scott sports director Matt White played down any idea that Chaves could move into a GC role again at this year's Giro, preferring to look at the longer-term picture.
"I honestly don't think he's got the condition. He came here purely to support Simon. His TT was OK, but nothing's changed," White told Cyclingnews.

Matt White sure shot down that thought pretty quickly. :)

Re:

Pirazziattacks said:
Which line will they go with now- bad legs, poor preparation, illness, injury? You've got to hand it to MS, they don't fail in half measures. Today was extremely Richie Porte.
No he hasn't, but there haven't been any opportunities apart from today and yesterday so it doesn't say that much. He has just *** the bed on the two most important stages so far which shows he simply isn't better. Thats 8 minuets and bye-bye.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Apart from the (explosive!) prologue, has he ever looked good this Giro?

What a major let down. Guess he can try next year, but at this point I really doubt he has it in him to win an actual grand Tour with not Vuelta like profiles.

I don't know how to break this to you, but the Vuelta is an actual Grand Tour, with Vuelta like profiles. :p

Hasn't recovered from his crash in stage four - May withdraw from the Giro and support Adam at the TDF - It's obvious when your number one support rider is allowed in the break to chase a stage win that something is amiss with Yates - 2018 TDF A.yates got ill which was why Nieve was in the break - At the end of the day, MS has stuffed up 3 or the last 4 GT's.

Re:

yaco said:
Hasn't recovered from his crash in stage four - May withdraw from the Giro and support Adam at the TDF - It's obvious when your number one support rider is allowed in the break to chase a stage win that something is amiss with Yates - 2018 TDF A.yates got ill which was why Nieve was in the break - At the end of the day, MS has stuffed up 3 or the last 4 GT's.
Is this something you know? With regards to the crash and how much it influenced him. Seems a bit weird considering I have heard him say on multiple occasions that he really looked forward to the mountains and some other stuff that really didn't indicate him getting badly injured. Seems like an easy out for a rider which has a tendency of not being consistent.

If he abandons, better ride the Vuelta again.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Did you read the full sentence or did you just give up after 3 words? @RedheadDane

I said: A grand Tour with NOT Vuelta like profiles. So any GT that included multiple mountain stages that are ridden full out.

But the Vuelta is a Grand Tour. You can't call it less a Grand Tour because it - obviously - has Vuelta-like profiles.
The Vuelta has the kind of profiles it does, and is ridden the way it is, still as much a GT as the Giro and the Tour.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Is this something you know? With regards to the crash and how much it influenced him. Seems a bit weird considering I have heard him say on multiple occasions that he really looked forward to the mountains and some other stuff that really didn't indicate him getting badly injured. Seems like an easy out for a rider which has a tendency of not being consistent.

If he abandons, better ride the Vuelta again.

I fairly much know Yates is inconvenienced by his crash - At the end of the day it was his crash

RedheadDane said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Did you read the full sentence or did you just give up after 3 words? @RedheadDane

I said: A grand Tour with NOT Vuelta like profiles. So any GT that included multiple mountain stages that are ridden full out.

But the Vuelta is a Grand Tour. You can't call it less a Grand Tour because it - obviously - has Vuelta-like profiles.
The Vuelta has the kind of profiles it does, and is ridden the way it is, still as much a GT as the Giro and the Tour.
Exactly, when Froome and contador were minutes ahead I bet everyone knew it was a Grand Tour

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Fairly much know? What does that mean? Dont use it as a fact when you don't know it. I have heard nothing from anybody about it. Again, its a super convenient excuse. Lets hear what he has to say.

It's simple - Information about injury or illness is kept in-house - Let's see if Yates is still in the race in two or three days.

RedheadDane said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Am I calling it not a grand tour? No

Try again. I'm tired of repeating myself and you putting words in that I never typed. I'm talking about the TYPE of GT. Not a GT in itself.

I'm saying he'll never win actually hard GT's. Only easier ones. Maybe if the Giro or Tour have a mono climb type tour he'd win. But GT's of THIS style, he wont...

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
Fairly much know? What does that mean? Dont use it as a fact when you don't know it. I have heard nothing from anybody about it. Again, its a super convenient excuse. Lets hear what he has to say.

It's simple - Information about injury or illness is kept in-house - Let's see if Yates is still in the race in two or three days.
Again, I have seen NOTHING to suggest that was the case. Bad excuse.

I was looking forward to Yates attacking in the mountains. But he was awful today. They need to analyze what's wrong and if today was only a bad day (which I very much doubt, I think something is wrong with him and that he will lose more and more time on later stages) he should attack from the get go tomorrow. Roglič's team is non-existent. He and Lopez can do an assault tomorrow if they are good. But he needs good legs, which he hasn't had since opening TT.

RedheadDane said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

For a native english-speaker like me, I would probably say, "I doubt he has it in him to win an actual grand Tour unless it has Vuelta-type profiles."

Valv.Piti said:
Pirazziattacks said:
Which line will they go with now- bad legs, poor preparation, illness, injury? You've got to hand it to MS, they don't fail in half measures. Today was extremely Richie Porte.
No he hasn't, but there haven't been any opportunities apart from today and yesterday so it doesn't say that much. He has just **** the bed on the two most important stages so far which shows he simply isn't better. Thats 8 minuets and bye-bye.
What? You've either misunderstood my post or responded to the wrong post, but nonetheless I'll take this opportunity to say that your weirdly aggressive posting and constantly tedious and overly parochial fandom is incredibly irritating.

Sciatic said:
RedheadDane said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

For a native english-speaker like me, I would probably say, "I doubt he has it in him to win an actual grand Tour unless it has Vuelta-type profiles."

Yes, but your version is less expressive than the non-native English speaker's version, and everybody understood his meaning.