• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
D6XA-luWAAAvx-O.jpg

Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
claude cat said:
tobydawq said:
Optimism turned to realism:

“Maybe I should be the one shitting myself then, about Roglič,”
I doubt he's too stressed.

How did Roglič gain another 16 seconds today? Was it luck due to the crash or was it another sign of his strength? If the latter then I think Yates might be a little more stressed today.

Well obviously it was the crash. Given Roglic was the only GC rider not involved in the crash, I'd say he had a bit of luck.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Implosion again. Maybe just conceed Yates is a great puncheur/climber which is why he won the Vuelta. But he's gonna have a horrendously horrible time ever trying to win Giro / Tour. I think he doesn't have the real engine for it
Oh c'mon, if you dominate a whole giro and only crack on stage 19 how on earth can you say with certainty he will never win the giro. This was an off day, he has shown time and time again he is actually very decent in longer TT's, and just becuase he messed up today that doesn't change.

Kind of speculative, but imo the conclusion made by Simon and his team after last year's Giro might be wrong. It seems to be the common opinion that his implosion was a result of him attacking uphill at every opportunity to gain time. First of all, I think that his attacks made the race very hard not only for him but also for the other contenders as could be seen by the attrition rate in the third weak. Many were hit hard, unfortunately him as well.
Regardless of this he was riding to his personal strengths last year, which is mainly being very explosive on all kinds of climbs. In the process he gains a few seconds in many stages instead of big chunks of time at once.
This year he is taking a totally different approach, which is doing nothing on every stage that isn't, say, 4 or 5 stars. He clearly tried to improve his TT and probably also his ability for the high mountains. Still, I can't get away from thinking that this isn't really natural for him. I guess we'll have to wait and see but for me it would be like Nibali stating: Attacking above 2000 m is too exhausting, I want to win the Giro now by taking bonus seconds in intermediate sprints. Maybe I'm totally wrong about all of this and it was just an off-day, but I'm worried this approach just doesn't work for him.

Re:

Sestriere said:
Kind of speculative, but imo the conclusion made by Simon and his team after last year's Giro might be wrong. It seems to be the common opinion that his implosion was a result of him attacking uphill at every opportunity to gain time. First of all, I think that his attacks made the race very hard not only for him but also for the other contenders as could be seen by the attrition rate in the third weak. Many were hit hard, unfortunately him as well.
Regardless of this he was riding to his personal strengths last year, which is mainly being very explosive on all kinds of climbs. In the process he gains a few seconds in many stages instead of big chunks of time at once.
This year he is taking a totally different approach, which is doing nothing on every stage that isn't, say, 4 or 5 stars. He clearly tried to improve his TT and probably also his ability for the high mountains. Still, I can't get away from thinking that this isn't really natural for him. I guess we'll have to wait and see but for me it would be like Nibali stating: Attacking above 2000 m is too exhausting, I want to win the Giro now by taking bonus seconds in intermediate sprints. Maybe I'm totally wrong about all of this and it was just an off-day, but I'm worried this approach just doesn't work for him.

So far though, there’s been no opportunities for him to attack.

Poursuivant said:
Sestriere said:

Last year he would've been all over that 1km at 8% in L'Aquila. Also, him and the team have stated that they would take a slower approach to prevent him cracking again.

Sestriere said:
Poursuivant said:
Sestriere said:

Last year he would've been all over that 1km at 8% in L'Aquila. Also, him and the team have stated that they would take a slower approach to prevent him cracking again.

The problem with this is that he also started cracking in the final two stages of last year Vuelta. He lost a good chunk of time to Lopez and Mas in those two stages. He just had a huge lead going into those two stages over everyone except for Valverde who struggled even more on those two stages.

Koronin said:
Sestriere said:
Poursuivant said:
Sestriere said:

The problem with this is that he also started cracking in the final two stages of last year Vuelta. He lost a good chunk of time to Lopez and Mas in those two stages. He just had a huge lead going into those two stages over everyone except for Valverde who struggled even more on those two stages.

I think we watched a different couple of stages,he was very strong on stage 19 and just lost out to Pinot who was going for the stage win. He gained more time there than the 20s he lost to Lopez and Mas the following day, when the race was in the bag.

TRENDING THREADS