Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The attitude has nothing to do with his bad preparation/lack of recovery/whatever is hampering his performance at the moment.

I don't know why cycling fans are so sensitive on trash talking. It is so much better than those standard interviews with riders always saying the same old *** they were saying 50 years ago. It adds something to this sport.
 
Continue to believe that private in-hose team stuff will always be released to the media - When your number one domestic Nieve goes in the break in the first difficult stage in the mountains and in the previous stage sits up on the only mountain suggests the team is not 100 % confident in their leader.
 
Re:

SafeBet said:
The attitude has nothing to do with his bad preparation/lack of recovery/whatever is hampering his performance at the moment.

I don't know why cycling fans are so sensitive on trash talking. It is so much better than those standard interviews with riders always saying the same old **** they were saying 50 years ago. It adds something to this sport.
I like humble, old-fashioned champions, so it's not better for me, and it adds nothing to this sport.
 
I have no issue with trash talking, but if you go as bold as simon did pre-race and then are this bad, you set yourself up for an incredible amount of stick and criticism, which he's deservedly got. You effectively become the joke of the race, and there's nothing wrong with that
 
Re:

yaco said:
Continue to believe that private in-hose team stuff will always be released to the media - When your number one domestic Nieve goes in the break in the first difficult stage in the mountains and in the previous stage sits up on the only mountain suggests the team is not 100 % confident in their leader.
The last two days Pozzovivo and Caruso were both in breakaways yet I'm pretty certain the team is 100% behind Nibali. It's just how you do it. You send strong guys in the break to be certain they will be there when they are needed. Also I think the team might have expected Chaves to be the number one domestique for Yates but obviously that didn't turn out so well.
 
I dont suspect anyone is laughing at Simon Yates ..probably the opposite...He must have over trained and come in on the turn to the Giro
What he said was harmless banter and he did sound confident but that could be MS as a team talking him up ..He sound more Matt White than Simon Yates. I feel sorry for him as now two years in a row he has little to show for his hard work ( going second training at 8pm at night,etc I believe)

A few years ago MS were touted as the team that would have multiple GT winners. They took focus of sprinting and classics etc ..But ?
 
Jan 25, 2016
178
2
2,835
Super long, high, hard mountain stages might not be the lads thing. Has he shown otherwise? He was beaten on the Vuelta's Queen stage despite having the best domestique. Or his crash was bad, or he didn't get training right. But I think the first theory is right.
 
Re:

hammerthaim said:
Super long, high, hard mountain stages might not be the lads thing. Has he shown otherwise? He was beaten on the Vuelta's Queen stage despite having the best domestique. Or his crash was bad, or he didn't get training right. But I think the first theory is right.
Did the Vuelta even have a queen stage?

He was good enough on the Zoncolan, he won over Hazallanas earlier in the year so I don't quite believe he can't do it on huge climbs either.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
hammerthaim said:
Super long, high, hard mountain stages might not be the lads thing. Has he shown otherwise? He was beaten on the Vuelta's Queen stage despite having the best domestique. Or his crash was bad, or he didn't get training right. But I think the first theory is right.
Did the Vuelta even have a queen stage?

He was good enough on the Zoncolan, he won over Hazallanas earlier in the year so I don't quite believe he can't do it on huge climbs either.
This. I think Yates is a bit of an open book in GTs. When he feels good he attacks, and when he thinks his rivals are weak he attacks repeatedly and with little regard for distance or race context. He's gone solo from ~30k out on climbs that didn't look hard enough, he's attacked when it seemed unnecessary and at the Vuelta last year he attacked even when Chaves had the stage sewn up.

And when he's weak, he blows up. He won the last GT he finished but he's also blown up in 2 of his last 3, weird stuff. I suspect he's not the best at managing his effort and that grinding it out when he's not feeling great isn't his strong suit. That said, yesterday is still hard to explain because he's had a fairly quiet season and seemed to be building toward peaking in the 3rd week. Perhaps that's just the outside perception and he actually hasn't had a good season rather than it having gone to plan before the Giro.
 
He simply reminds me of what the yates bros have always been with the exception of one magical season by Simon. Very solid climbers, very solid gc riders, but not quite up there with the big boys. Show that stage before last years giro and everybody would say Yates exactly as expected.
 
Better today, but still work to do. At least he still has the fight to dig in when things aren’t going well which is a great quality.

Perhaps he has just messed his prep up and will slowly come to form in the third week, a top 5 finish on GC and a stage win are still very much possible, which would at least salvage something from the race.
 
Sep 17, 2014
712
0
0
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Perhaps he has just messed his prep up and will slowly come to form in the third week, a top 5 finish on GC and a stage win are still very much possible, which would at least salvage something from the race.
I hope so, at least he seems to be getting better.
 
Yates first stage ITT suggests he was in the right shape at the beginning of the Giro - Rode better today but it's noticeable he is lacking explosiveness when going up a climb - He's diesel like in his approach to climbs.
 
Jan 29, 2012
422
0
9,280
Don't know what's wrong, today he was a little bit better, maybe he peaked to late? But actually my idea about him is, that he just not strong enough for the high mountains and long stages with a few of them, last year his form was outstanding and wasted to much energy for the GC, but superb he took so many stages. Stages like Vuelta, with a mountain at the end are his thing, explosiveness. On the otherhand his time trial is much better. Maybe the Giro GC doesn't suite him that much for 3 weeks? I hope he does Le Tour next year.

A bad preparation? It's possible but why is his brothers form then outstandig this season? I believe as twins they train a lot together and share each other knowledge? Quiting the Giro i believe is not an ideal option, he may become better, end get some freedom now to go for a stage. And working for this brother in the Tour? Can't see Adam winning The Tour, nope, even he has the same form of the beginning of the year. Taking a rest after this Giro and then defend his title in la Vuelta is much better.
 
Re:

Oliver said:
Don't know what's wrong, today he was a little bit better, maybe he peaked to late? But actually my idea about him is, that he just not strong enough for the high mountains and long stages with a few of them, last year his form was outstanding and wasted to much energy for the GC, but superb he took so many stages. Stages like Vuelta, with a mountain at the end are his thing, explosiveness. On the otherhand his time trial is much better. Maybe the Giro GC doesn't suite him that much for 3 weeks? I hope he does Le Tour next year.

A bad preparation? It's possible but why is his brothers form then outstandig this season? I believe as twins they train a lot together and share each other knowledge? Quiting the Giro i believe is not an ideal option, he may become better, end get some freedom now to go for a stage. And working for this brother in the Tour? Can't see Adam winning The Tour, nope, even he has the same form of the beginning of the year. Taking a rest after this Giro and then defend his title in la Vuelta is much better.
It's a bit of a mystery. He looked pretty good in some one week stage races this season; it's not like he had no form. Perhaps it is like Nibali in the 2015 Tour; he wasn't in form early enough and paid for it dearly on PSM. However, the form was there, as shown in week three. Perhaps Yates will win a stage next week. Not sure if we can declare that he cannot handle multiple (high) mountain stages. He did well on Zoncolan last year, and wasn't the stage before the second rest day a difficult multi mountain stage?
 
May 20, 2016
954
0
0
It seems to me that he is getting stronger now by each stage. I hope that this trend continues and we will see some real action in the 3rd week and if so then I don't see a reason why podium should be out of reach for him.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
roundabout said:
Red Rick said:
Yeah probably one of the 3 strongest guys in the race right now. Gap to Roglic is huge though, but the plan should be pretty simple.

Balls deep on the Mortirolo and reevaluate after that.
He looked pretty underwhelming vs Carthy today :confused:
Carthy didn't solo half the Sormano and is like 10 minutes extra down on GC.
The kick is there, sustaining the rhythm not so much. Either way he certainly gets better but where's Chaves?
 
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
roundabout said:
Red Rick said:
Yeah probably one of the 3 strongest guys in the race right now. Gap to Roglic is huge though, but the plan should be pretty simple.

Balls deep on the Mortirolo and reevaluate after that.
He looked pretty underwhelming vs Carthy today :confused:
Carthy didn't solo half the Sormano and is like 10 minutes extra down on GC.
The kick is there, sustaining the rhythm not so much. Either way he certainly gets better but where's Chaves?
Busy compensating for Yates' lack of funny quotes in the backstage pass
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY