Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the bigger picture with Yates x 2 is them not doing too many GT's - My theory is you do two GT's in a year every 2nd year - Both did two GT's in 2018, so both should only do one GT in 2019 - Simon has a number of races he can target in the second half of the year while Adam should only FOCUS on the TDF in 2019 - I'm happy for Haig to ride for GC at the Vuelta.
 
Re:

yaco said:
the bigger picture with Yates x 2 is them not doing too many GT's - My theory is you do two GT's in a year every 2nd year - Both did two GT's in 2018, so both should only do one GT in 2019 - Simon has a number of races he can target in the second half of the year while Adam should only FOCUS on the TDF in 2019 - I'm happy for Haig to ride for GC at the Vuelta.
That really depends on the individual and especially if you do Giro/Vuelta it's quite feasable cause you don't peak for many other races.
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
I would love to know what's going through Adam's head & MS mangement's thinking. :)
Adam is under big pressure - We have to understand that Yates x 2 have a BIG influence on the team when it comes to race programs, training camps, overall preparation etc,etc,etc - They almost run the show.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Robert5091 said:
I would love to know what's going through Adam's head & MS mangement's thinking. :)
Adam is under big pressure - We have to understand that Yates x 2 have a BIG influence on the team when it comes to race programs, training camps, overall preparation etc,etc,etc - They almost run the show.
In which case, Simon really f**ked it up! I think Adam can came up with a stage win or two plus a shot at the KOM jersey but that's it.
 
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
yaco said:
Robert5091 said:
I would love to know what's going through Adam's head & MS mangement's thinking. :)
Adam is under big pressure - We have to understand that Yates x 2 have a BIG influence on the team when it comes to race programs, training camps, overall preparation etc,etc,etc - They almost run the show.
In which case, Simon really f**ked it up! I think Adam can came up with a stage win or two plus a shot at the KOM jersey but that's it.
Hvae no doubt that Adam would wish to win a GT stage for the first time - He rides to his form and he should finish top 5.
 
This is another Whitey left field selection - And Simon will be a domestic unless something happens to Adam in the first few days - Surely if you pick Simon then you keep Haig back to ride GC at the Vuelta or MS will have no GC ambitions at the Vuelta - The selection is even weirder when you consider that Durbridge was a last minute inclusion for the Giro and then backs up in the TDF -Anyway anything less than a Top 5 for Adam will be disappointing.
 
Re:

yaco said:
This is another Whitey left field selection - And Simon will be a domestic unless something happens to Adam in the first few days - Surely if you pick Simon then you keep Haig back to ride GC at the Vuelta or MS will have no GC ambitions at the Vuelta - The selection is even weirder when you consider that Durbridge was a last minute inclusion for the Giro and then backs up in the TDF -Anyway anything less than a Top 5 for Adam will be disappointing.
Absolutely. I guess the reasoning is that Simon peaked for Giro, expecting a win there or at least a podium, then go to Vuelta with no expectations. But that didn't happen, so why not stack the team for a tour w/out Froome/Dumoulin and hope for a podium?

I heard an interview at the Giro with Gerry Ryan on the Rapha podcast in which he said he'd like to have a title sponsor rather than continue to self-fund. A big performance at the TdF could land one, so perhaps that also figured into the thinking.
 
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Actually Simon should have abandoned the Giro after it was clear he didnt have the goods to podium and then trained for the TDF. Now it is a waste as support instead of trying to win the Vuelta
No!

If riders start abandoning Grand Tours when they can ride top 5, I really don't know where we're headed.

It's not a computer game where you can just press restart.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY