• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Bloody shame Adam crashed on the descent today, but shown again that he's absolute class, cresting the final 2.7km 9.5% climb just a couple of seconds down on Jrod and Piti, ahead of anyone else who went up with the peloton.

Yeah excellent performance. And altough he crashed, he did the right thing taking risks to catch Valverde. He knew it was the winning move.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Bloody shame Adam crashed on the descent today, but shown again that he's absolute class, cresting the final 2.7km 9.5% climb just a couple of seconds down on Jrod and Piti, ahead of anyone else who went up with the peloton.

I'd assumed it was Simon. But Adam seems to be developing into an all-round climber at an astonishing rate

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Simon did not finish the Tour,they pulled him out ;)

Anyhow, stage wins are definitely the target. Basically doing the #Barguil of last season.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Akuryo said:
Well, who could predict two month ago, that the Vuelta would be that crowded with almost every top climber there is in the pro peloton right now. :eek:
thats right:D
I wrote it cuz I think ist better to go for GC with 2 leaders (yates+chaves) if they are very young.;)

ILovecycling said:
Yeah,it looks like they want stage hunting from him as chavito will be only gc rider (which is not good decision imho)

Your logic escapes me !!! You can't nominate someone as GC rider when in all likelihood, he'll only go half to 2/3 distance (which is sensible for a neo pro who's never raced longer than one week.

Think they'll nominate a degree of support for Matthews for "his stages" otherwise it's "go stage-hunting" with maybe some protection to the bottom of major climbs.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
dirkprovin said:
Your logic escapes me !!! You can't nominate someone as GC rider when in all likelihood, he'll only go half to 2/3 distance (which is sensible for a neo pro who's never raced longer than one week.

Think they'll nominate a degree of support for Matthews for "his stages" otherwise it's "go stage-hunting" with maybe some protection to the bottom of major climbs.
and how is chaves nominated?:rolleyes:he is also young,only a bit older than yates

ILovecycling said:
and how is chaves nominated?:rolleyes:he is also young,only a bit older than yates

Chaves is 24, as against the Yates twins 21. Whilst he missed the 2013 season, he also has at least one full year's greater racing experience at senior level (2012 with Colombia Coldeportes) whereas this is Yates' first year at senior level.:rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
dirkprovin said:
Chaves is 24, as against the Yates twins 21. Whilst he missed the 2013 season, he also has at least one full year's greater racing experience at senior level (2012 with Colombia Coldeportes) whereas this is Yates' first year at senior level.:rolleyes:
he was injured almost all the time,and coldeportes is not really wt calendar team you know.
pointless discussion here...I just wanted to state that they should have two leaders for gc as one of them can fail or injure.why not to try gc with yates? hell he is young but in worst case he can ride with grupetto after 1st week.whats the problem...

ILovecycling said:
he was injured almost all the time,and coldeportes is not really wt calendar team you know.
pointless discussion here...I just wanted to state that they should have two leaders for gc as one of them can fail or injure.why not to try gc with yates? hell he is young but in worst case he can ride with grupetto after 1st week.whats the problem...

People are scared the story of Lövkvist will repeat itself: Too many races too early in his carrer. Had some promissing results which he could never reach again. Don't know if he really was overraced in his early years, but it is a theory around here ...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Akuryo said:
People are scared the story of Lövkvist will repeat itself: Too many races too early in his carrer. Had some promissing results which he could never reach again. Don't know if he really was overraced in his early years, but it is a theory around here ...
I know,but its not a risk in hell to ride for gc first 10 days,and if he is feeling good by then and has good GC spot,then continue to the end.

hard to decide for the team I think.

ILovecycling said:
I know,but its not a risk in hell to ride for gc first 10 days,and if he is feeling good by then and has good GC spot,then continue to the end.

hard to decide for the team I think.

His brother essentially admitted it was "time to pull the plug" when they did so at 2nd rest day of the Tour. Adam is unlikely to have a high GC placing even if he rides "up to his 2014 form' as:

- the first stage is a Team Time Trial. Whilst OGE is one of the top teams in this discipline, they are not sending many of their "main men" to the Vuelta so there is likely to be a time loss.

- Even if OGE has a good ride; at this point of his career Yates' TTing is a weakish link and he is unlikely to be able to hold-on for race distance if they're going for a good one.

- Stage 10 is a 30km TT. For the reason stated above, he's likely to shed some more minutes.

TBH, both he and Chaves are likely to have shed a far degree of time by half distance. This will probably give them more leeway for breakaways but the main rationale for selecting Yates is getting exposure to GT racing; which is another step up on anything else he's ever raced before. Any success and positive exposure he may gain (as was the case w Simon at the Tour) will be a bonus.

I think OGE will want to get both Yates through the season in sound health and fitness; then they have a preparation for next year which allows for the step up in miles that will equip them to finish a GT.

Luigi_Max

BANNED
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
My reading of the comments about Chaves was that it was a very tentative attempt at GC, more that they will expect him to do his best in all the stages rather than they actually expect him to place too highly. Yates is younger so seems to be riding purely for experience and if he does anything more it would be a huge bonus.

However you never know what could happen, Sebastian Henao rode the whole Giro to finish 22nd and did really well in a couple of the stages late in the race. He is almost exactly a year younger than the Yates brothers.

Luigi_Max said:
My reading of the comments about Chaves was that it was a very tentative attempt at GC, more that they will expect him to do his best in all the stages rather than they actually expect him to place too highly. Yates is younger so seems to be riding purely for experience and if he does anything more it would be a huge bonus.

However you never know what could happen, Sebastian Henao rode the whole Giro to finish 22nd and did really well in a couple of the stages late in the race. He is almost exactly a year younger than the Yates brothers.

Fair point re Henao but he already had a year in senior ranks whereas this is essentially Yates' first year out of juniors/amateur ranks. What I expect may happen is that if Chaves/Yates happen to be felling "up for it" on any particular stage, the team may give them maximum protection possible up to "the business end".

TRENDING THREADS