• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My dream is that both these guys become incredible climbers and blast everyone with epic 1-2 attacks and long range moves, ultimately breaking Quintana in the 2020 tour de france on the final stage of the tour getting 1-2 on the stage and moving up to 1st and 2nd on GC :D

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

fungusbear said:
My dream is that both these guys become incredible climbers and blast everyone with epic 1-2 attacks and long range moves, ultimately breaking Quintana in the 2020 tour de france on the final stage of the tour getting 1-2 on the stage and moving up to 1st and 2nd on GC :D

If Orica bring in a few more climbers in the next few years can see it happening

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Dog said:
With Quintana and Pinot ineligible for next years white jersey, perhaps one of them should target that.
I think Bardet and Barguil will both be safer bets. Maybe if Barguil crashes into Bardet on a descent :D

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
fungusbear said:
Ramon Koran said:
fungusbear said:
Dog said:
With Quintana and Pinot ineligible for next years white jersey, perhaps one of them should target that.
I think Bardet and Barguil will both be safer bets. Maybe if Barguil crashes into Bardet on a descent :D
Bardet won't be eligible either.
I thought he was 24??
Yes, born in 1990, next year cut off for white jersey is 1st jan 1991

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Ramon Koran said:
fungusbear said:
Ramon Koran said:
fungusbear said:
Dog said:
Bardet won't be eligible either.
I thought he was 24??
Yes, born in 1990, next year cut off for white jersey is 1st jan 1991
ah gotcha. Incidentally does anyone know the next race we will see one of the Yates twins? San Sebastian perhaps?

//forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1785462#p1785462]Dog[/url]"]With Quintana and Pinot ineligible for next years white jersey, perhaps one of them should target that.[/quote]
I think Bardet and Barguil will both be safer bets. Maybe if Barguil crashes into Bardet on a descent :D[/quote]
Bardet won't be eligible either.[/quote]
I thought he was 24??[/quote]
Yes, born in 1990, next year cut off for white jersey is 1st jan 1991[/quote]
ah gotcha. Incidentally does anyone know the next race we will see one of the Yates twins? San Sebastian perhaps?[/quote]

I would guess London-Surrey classic and then the three Canadian races (Alberta and the two WT one-dayers). Maybe one or both will have recovered enough by the 2nd August to aim for the overall of Pologne but they'll be against a more rested Kwiatkowski and the team may allow them to go to London-Surrey especially since OGE isn't doing the the Tour of Britain this year even though one or both could be targeting their home race's GC at this point.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
TMP402 said:
//forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1785462#p1785462]Dog[/url]"]With Quintana and Pinot ineligible for next years white jersey, perhaps one of them should target that.
I think Bardet and Barguil will both be safer bets. Maybe if Barguil crashes into Bardet on a descent :D[/quote]
Bardet won't be eligible either.[/quote]
I thought he was 24??[/quote]
Yes, born in 1990, next year cut off for white jersey is 1st jan 1991[/quote]
ah gotcha. Incidentally does anyone know the next race we will see one of the Yates twins? San Sebastian perhaps?[/quote]

I would guess London-Surrey classic and then the three Canadian races (Alberta and the two WT one-dayers). Maybe one or both will have recovered enough by the 2nd August to aim for the overall of Pologne but they'll be against a more rested Kwiatkowski and the team may allow them to go to London-Surrey especially since OGE isn't doing the the Tour of Britain this year even though one or both could be targeting their home race's GC at this point.[/quote]
If Adam has the energy I hope he goes to San Sebastian. He is obviously going to be tired but him and Simon were very strong on stage 20 so still have good form, plus I think Bob Jungels is going and he did the tour too. Adam was really strong there last year. Probably too soon after the tour though.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
postmanhat said:
Both Yates down for San Sebastian this weekend. Gutted I'm going to miss it. Adam fell over on the final descent last year didn't he?
Yeah he did :( Must have sucked considering he made the winning group.

The Yates brothers have to be the dark horses for San Sebastián. If they work together then they can really cause chaos. Only problem is that they have a pretty weak team working for them. Meyer, Weening and maybe Kekeuleireare the only ones who can potentially make it to the finish in the top 25, but realistically the only one who I'd bet on being with the Yates Bros at the front on the last climb is Weening. Unfortunately Albasini, Clarke, Chaves or even Santaromita (who I rate slightly below Meyer in ability over hills) aren't going. A top 5 has to be a goal.

Re: Re:

gazr99 said:
Ramon Koran said:
hrotha said:
Genes ain't the only thing that affect performance or specialization.
True, but they ride for the same team, train together.... The schlecks for example were pretty much identical, I think the yates bros are as similar.

Yes but Andy was always seen as the more talented rider. Haven't seen the fact that Simon was in the BC academy and Adam raced in France affecting their approach to racing, yet

Simon was selected to go through BC Academy, Adam wasn't, so raced in France via Dave Raynor Fund. Simon in terms of points/uci or cq ranking a step up from Adam, but unless you know they are both with identical freedom at OGE it means little looking at rankings.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Yeah they had the offer from Sky but it was much better they went to OGE, their chances of freedom at Sky would have been limited but they've started well. They have been involved with many of the British staff and I expect them to sign for Sky in the future.
Yeah it's always best to go to a team of no-hopers if you want to get plenty of chances to shine :D

Re: Re:

Farcanal said:
Pricey_sky said:
Yeah they had the offer from Sky but it was much better they went to OGE, their chances of freedom at Sky would have been limited but they've started well. They have been involved with many of the British staff and I expect them to sign for Sky in the future.
Yeah it's always best to go to a team of no-hopers if you want to get plenty of chances to shine :D

Wouldn't call Greenedge no-hopers. They play to their strengths and have picked up some nice wins in their short time in the peloton. The backstage pass videos are also a great watch and have some good PR.

TRENDING THREADS