• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
white jersey, 2nd on GC, BOOM

So he dropped Dan Martin in the 4km of descending between the top of the Aspin and the 3km mark? :eek:

Yep, and looked very easy on the climb. Revised GC now out -

https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/751493163303469056

The set of riders in position for a good GC finish is already thinning down quite a bit so there's definately opportunities if he has a good weekend and the team let him carry on.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
PremierAndrew said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:

So he dropped Dan Martin in the 4km of descending between the top of the Aspin and the 3km mark? :eek:

The set of riders in position for a good GC finish is already thinning down quite a bit so there's definately opportunities if he has a good weekend and the team let him carry on.

Is there any reason why the team would tell him to knock it off?

He's young, but it's already his third GT and he finished the first two. So they should hardly need to protect him from going too deep, and it's not as if they have some vitally important team goals at this point that would require sacrificing him. What have they got to fight for that's better than the white jersey and/or a good minor placing?

Good point on the reduced number of GC-relevant riders. Particularly as the remaining ones include GVA and a few domestiques.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
PremierAndrew said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:

Is there any reason why the team would tell him to knock it off?

He's young, but it's already his third GT and he finished the first two. So they should hardly need to protect him from going too deep, and it's not as if they have some vitally important team goals at this point that would require sacrificing him. What have they got to fight for that's better than the white jersey and/or a good minor placing?

Good point on the reduced number of GC-relevant riders. Particularly as the remaining ones include GVA and a few domestiques.

Yep agree, just hoping the regular expectations management is just that rather than actual team strategy.

Either way it's a win win situation for Adam.
He's 23 not much is expected of him yet, so if he cracks in the last week he can still improve.
If he maxes out at 20th then he can build on that and hopefully win in the future ;)

Apart from a crash i won't be upset!

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Oliwright said:
Either way it's a win win situation for Adam.
He's 23 not much is expected of him yet, so if he cracks in the last week he can still improve.
If he maxes out at 20th then he can build on that and hopefully win in the future ;)

Apart from a crash i won't be upset!
20 th would be a huge disspointment, he should be getting top 10, or go for stage wins.

Re:

roundabout said:

That's just incredibly unlucky. How in the world...... that timing.....
Poor guy, that's a serious crash though and he looked to be quite hurt sitting on the ground.

I read comments that he's ok, but I can't imagine that he's ok after such a crash. Must battered up and I'm afraid such a crash will cost him.

I can't help but think of a Dutch saying "What is good, comes fast". Sure they're 23, and expectations shouldn't be too high, but on the other hand, they're almost 24, and they're at the age at which Quintana had already gotten 2nd at the Tour for example. Contador won the Tour at 24.

Career trajectories may differ a lot, but I feel that there's not that many riders that steadily progress through to the absolute top. Nibali is the only one I can think of.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I can't help but think of a Dutch saying "What is good, comes fast". Sure they're 23, and expectations shouldn't be too high, but on the other hand, they're almost 24, and they're at the age at which Quintana had already gotten 2nd at the Tour for example. Contador won the Tour at 24.

Career trajectories may differ a lot, but I feel that there's not that many riders that steadily progress through to the absolute top. Nibali is the only one I can think of.

The San Sebastian win might signal their way forward, and this crash now compromises this TDF, so we must wait for the Vuelta for more signs.

Re:

Red Rick said:

Well the Yates twins seem more like Nibali than Contador. Not absolutely top top tier GC potential (enough to win a couple of Grand Tours, but not dominate multiple GTs), while at the same time having decent ability in hilly one day races

Re:

TMP402 said:
Not only that, the Yates' are in their third season - Quintana and Contador were in their fifth seasons when those events happened. I think seasons ridden can be the more accurate measure of a rider than age.

100% correct with your post. It's usually in a riders 4th season that teams get serious about GC in Grand Tours - It will get serious for Adam in 2017 if he re-signs for OBE.

I hadn't seen the video of his crash yesterday. I'm really happy the motorcycle wasn't right behind him, it could have been so much worse...

He has been very impressive, let's see where he ends up on GC.

Very good ride by him today. He looked at a few points like he was under pressure on the final climb but he held on. He made a bit of a mistake in not chasing Froome and instead letting Valverde lead the group at a pace suitable for Quintana. It's hard to see him getting another chance this year to take yellow. But much more experienced riders made the same mistake.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Very good ride by him today. He looked at a few points like he was under pressure on the final climb but he held on. He made a bit of a mistake in not chasing Froome and instead letting Valverde lead the group at a pace suitable for Quintana. It's hard to see him getting another chance this year to take yellow. But much more experienced riders made the same mistake.

He has to be "smacked out" of his fetish for sitting on the back of the bunch when he's frankly NOT of "holding on like grim death". He leaves himself totally exposed when key moves go off the the front of the group giving himself so much more work to regain touch.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Found imself in a complicated situation, ha only had 7 seconds on most riders, had he rode to catch froome he would have been spent and not been able to sprint for a podium. In which case he would have lost yellow to first place rider. Let's not forget he's only 23 and needs to conserve energy for the three weeks to get in the top 10. IMO he did the right thing in not chasing Froome.

dirkprovin said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

He has to be "smacked out" of his fetish for sitting on the back of the bunch when he's frankly NOT of "holding on like grim death". He leaves himself totally exposed when key moves go off the the front of the group giving himself so much more work to regain touch.

He was at the front on the climb on Friday, so have to admit I was expecting the worst when he just sat on the back yesterday

TRENDING THREADS