• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'd really love to see Geraint and Simon make some kind of
appearance at the upcoming London 6 Day. Both have very
impressive madison results on their respective palmares. A
couple of (not too strenuous or serious) races over a couple
nights. Maybe G v. Simon one night and then G and Luke v.
Simon and Adam the next night so they could each win one.
Probably not going to happen for various reasons, but I wish.

EDIT: Now I think a SKY v. Mitchelton-Scott team pursuit to
break a tie might be fun! What would Hugh D. McIntosh do?

Really looking forward to watching SY go berserk at the Tour next year. If Dumoulin or Froome (or Thomas) are going to win next year, they are going to have to do it against a guy who is now arguably the world’s number one climber and who has now made it abundantly clear over two GTs in a row that he will attack them day after day after day until either they explode or he does.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Sky was full train for like 2 stages in the Giro, and they only needed a few dudes cause that's how it works on climbs like the Zoncolan. I just have a very hard time seeing Yates make up the 2 minutes he drops in TTT(somebody please nuke) and ITT.

Froome seemed worse off then admited after the pre-ITT crash at the Giro. The first week was "damage limitations". Apart from battling the Sky A team plus Tommy D, he now has the prospect of Mas who can ITT & climb too. (not to mention Bernal)

The Giro & Vuelta do suit him better generally.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Good job to Simon on winning. I find it kinda funny that Adam was thought of as the better GT rider and Simon the classic rider at the beginning of their careers and it has kinda swapped.
Twin magic. ;)

You know honestly I was thinking of that before in that we would have no idea if they or any other twin switch during a race. I'm not saying any have done it but it was a thought and if that would actually help them during a Grand Tour.

Re: Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
Mayomaniac said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Good job to Simon on winning. I find it kinda funny that Adam was thought of as the better GT rider and Simon the classic rider at the beginning of their careers and it has kinda swapped.
Twin magic. ;)

You know honestly I was thinking of that before in that we would have no idea if they or any other twin switch during a race. I'm not saying any have done it but it was a thought and if that would actually help them during a Grand Tour.

The first Yates GT win is one they raced together. Coincidence? :lol:

I think he'll go to the tour next year and although I don't think he is the favorite he will surely be a force to be reckoned with. Let's not forget he dominated Dumoulin and Froome for 17 stages at the giro and they are seen as the favorites for the tour next year. Anyway, although I still wouldn't call myself a fan I just have to say that watching him is a joy. So aggressive, not afraid to take initiative and extremely explosive. In a vuelta where everyone called Enric Mas the new Contador it was Yates who really deserved that title.

Don't be so thick. They called Mas the new Contador because he is spanish, so another spanish rider with the style of Contador.

Ofcourse Yates doesn't fit that title because a) he's not Spanish and b) Mas has a time trial in this vuelta much closer than Contador

But mainly, the whole point of being called a new Contador is the spanish passport.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Don't be so thick. They called Mas the new Contador because he is spanish, so another spanish rider with the style of Contador.

Ofcourse Yates doesn't fit that title because a) he's not Spanish and b) Mas has a time trial in this vuelta much closer than Contador

But mainly, the whole point of being called a new Contador is the spanish passport.
I know, hell I have been on the "Mas is the new Contador" hypetrain myself. I just wanted to say that the way Yates rode massively reminded me on Contador

Re:

Red Rick said:
Sky was full train for like 2 stages in the Giro, and they only needed a few dudes cause that's how it works on climbs like the Zoncolan. I just have a very hard time seeing Yates make up the 2 minutes he drops in TTT(somebody please nuke) and ITT.

I’m not saying that SY will just smash up the Sky train. I do think that it would be great to see the train threatened simultaneously by a superior TTist, who benefits from the train himself, and a superior climber, who crucially is both more aggressive and more explosive than Quintana. I think that creates more tactical difficulties or more opportunities to make the wrong call. Roglic is a wild card.

Great win for Yates and what a year for Brit cycling. I wonder what riders like Pinot and Porte are thinking especially after the wins by Thomas and Yates. And both were more dominant wins than Froome's although Froome did win in the old style and also won on Zoncolan. A crazy year for ups and downs so far so I am guessing there will be a surprise winner at the Worlds.........

TRENDING THREADS