• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/simon-yates-not-interested-tour-de-france-408362
Simon Yates says he is ‘not interested in the Tour de France’ and that it doesn’t inspire the same passion at the Giro d’Italia for him.

The British star, who won his first Grand Tour last season, revealed he has no immediate plans to return to the Tour de France because he does not feel the same desire to win.

In an interview with Spanish cycling website Ciclo21, the Mitchelton-Scott rider said: “You know what? I’m not interested in the Tour.

“I simply don’t feel the same passion for it.

“I go to the Giro and I’m anxious to win. I go to the Vuelta and the same things happens – I think ‘I can’t wait to start the race and try to win.’

Sacre bleu! Zut alors! and other sterotype French expressions - note speaking to Spanish reporter :D

Re:

yaco said:
We found a point of difference between the two brothers - Adam has always been super keen on the TDF while it's been my understanding Simon can take or leave the TDF - And of course Chaves is not interested in the TDF.

Chaves' biggest dream is to win the Tour. I've seen him say that several times (probably on the backstage pass).

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
yaco said:
We found a point of difference between the two brothers - Adam has always been super keen on the TDF while it's been my understanding Simon can take or leave the TDF - And of course Chaves is not interested in the TDF.

Chaves' biggest dream is to win the Tour. I've seen him say that several times (probably on the backstage pass).

Chaves has little interest in the TDF - Yes as a young boy nearly every boy's dream is to win the TDF, but things change when you are a professional - He was none too happy riding the 2017 TDF.

yaco said:
tobydawq said:
yaco said:

Chaves has little interest in the TDF - Yes as a young boy nearly every boy's dream is to win the TDF, but things change when you are a professional - He was none too happy riding the 2017 TDF.

I didn't realize that either. Interesting although I think his abilities fit the other two GTs better. Maybe he figured that out?

Valv.Piti said:
RedheadDane said:
Those boys just inspire each others so it's extreme.
You can say that, but I don't hope and think that Simon is that inspired by his brother's attacking instincts. He is almost the polar opposite when it comes to that and I think its well established by now that Simon is the bigger talent.

Not necessarily inspired by way of riding, but simply inspired to do well.

Re:

yaco said:
Need to get A.Yates to focus on Fleche Wallone and LBL - He's shown in the past and this week in TA that he can be effective in this style of writing.

Whilst I can see what you're getting at and there is the potential for those races, in order to be successful he will need to ditch his "oi wanna roide at the backa da pack" mentality and stay attentive rather than rely on his team mates to position him.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Need to get A.Yates to focus on Fleche Wallone and LBL - He's shown in the past and this week in TA that he can be effective in this style of writing.

Whilst I can see what you're getting at and there is the potential for those races, in order to be successful he will need to ditch his "oi wanna roide at the backa da pack" mentality and stay attentive rather than rely on his team mates to position him.

A.Yates has won San Sebastien and a top 10 in LBL when working for Albasini and a second in Montreal,so his palmares is OK - Whereas Simon has shown little capacity in one day races - MS need to have a real crack at Fleche Wallone.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

A.Yates has won San Sebastien and a top 10 in LBL when working for Albasini and a second in Montreal,so his palmares is OK - Whereas Simon has shown little capacity in one day races - MS need to have a real crack at Fleche Wallone.

Am aware of his record and I think LBL has some distinct possibilities. FW - maybe. My point is that he needs to get rid of the "loafing at the back and expect my team to come fetch me" mentality and be fully switched on.

As for MS plans, with Albasini now past being a factor I see them as being in a state of flux as regards Ardennes. Impey could be a factor for AGR but not the others. I think Hamilton and Stannard may have potential there but this season and the next at least will be all about gaining race knowledge. Haig I can see as being a player for both FW & LBL but they need to sort out which Yates will ride where and whether Chaves may be worth a fly at least at one. There's clearly no shortage of Ardennes potential present but all are at different stages and how does it fit with other priorities for these riders.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Am aware of his record and I think LBL has some distinct possibilities. FW - maybe. My point is that he needs to get rid of the "loafing at the back and expect my team to come fetch me" mentality and be fully switched on.

That itself might be a reason to send him to FW; to force him out of that mentality.

The mindgames have started...

Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) threw the hammer down with a vengeance in his pre-Giro d'Italia press conference, stating categorically that he is in top condition to win his second consecutive Grand Tour. If he was in his rivals' position, he said, "I would be scared, I’d be shitting myself.”

Re:

Poursuivant said:
The mindgames have started...

Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) threw the hammer down with a vengeance in his pre-Giro d'Italia press conference, stating categorically that he is in top condition to win his second consecutive Grand Tour. If he was in his rivals' position, he said, "I would be scared, I’d be shitting myself.”
Was he referring to Dumoulin? :D

Jokes apart, pretty arrogant our little Simon, he must be super confident