• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if this 100% GC-team stuff has come to bite them a bit. Adam doesnt seem like a GC rider at this point, Simon is incredible at times, Chaves is the purest GC in GTs rider but has health problems, Haig is a great teammate/luxurydomestique, but Im afraid not much more than that.

Always thought they were at their best hunting stages and that stuff. Fortunately they were smart enough to give Trentin and Impey a bit freedom on some stages and obviously select Simon who have been amazing.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I wonder if this 100% GC-team stuff has come to bite them a bit. Adam doesnt seem like a GC rider at this point, Simon is incredible at times, Chaves is the purest GC in GTs rider but has health problems, Haig is a great teammate/luxurydomestique, but Im afraid not much more than that.

Always thought they were at their best hunting stages and that stuff. Fortunately they were smart enough to give Trentin and Impey a bit freedom on some stages and obviously select Simon who have been amazing.

In their last five GTs, they won GC once and their GC ambitions went off the rails to varying degrees four times. However they won stages at four of those five GTs anyway and sometimes multiple stages. That’s a good return for a team specializing in stage hunting, like a Lotto Soudal. Basically having Simon Yates and, perhaps to to a lesser extent, Chaves, means that stages are very likely to come if time has been dropped.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Where the GC focus has come back to bite them is they don't have the budget to strengthen their ' Classics Squad ' which is very ordinary and don't have a fast sprinter - For example, Trentin who has been a good signing and is happy with the environment will leave for CCC because he doesn't have enough support in the classics - They do need for some of their young guys to come on, so it's not all doom and gloom on the classics side - The Vuelta will be interesting because their will be no GC focus, so there will be more pressure to hunt stages.

I really do not get Adam Yates he has had a good TDF before, he was dominant in some climbs this year in Catalunya i think. So he can clearly ride a good TDF, he did far better on harder climbs than PDBF so why does he crumble when he gets to the TDF? i feel he raced too much. Should have a lighter schedule.

Yeah people say Adam doesn't have the GT engine but I just think he went too hard too much last spring.

And now he's doing this.

He was good all year, last year, except for the Tour. I dont know if the DNF in Dauphine on the last stage, could have had any impact on his performance in Tour. If it altered his build-up/form.

He has swapped Valenciana and Ruta Del Sol for UAE as his first race, this year. Then the same three races as last year. Tirreno, Catalunya and Itzulia. Maybe Fleche and LBL will be added. Then Suisse instead of Dauphine as his race before the Tour. Hopefully they will get it right.

He was good all year, last year, except for the Tour. I dont know if the DNF in Dauphine on the last stage, could have had any impact on his performance in Tour. If it altered his build-up/form.

He has swapped Valenciana and Ruta Del Sol for UAE as his first race, this year. Then the same three races as last year. Tirreno, Catalunya and Itzulia. Maybe Fleche and LBL will be added. Then Suisse instead of Dauphine as his race before the Tour. Hopefully they will get it right.

No Ardennes in 2020 - Until the last year he's form has always dropped off in August compared to the first half of the year - And he wants to stay at the team - Waiting for the day when the brothers race against each other.

I for one am absolutely disgusted that the race is going ahead given the circumstances. I saw Richie Porte coughing and spluttering all over the place in the peloton today, this nonsense will herald the end of days and should be stopped with the current GC being taken as it is. Thanks.

Does Adam Yates have the weirdest Tour career of all time?

1) On an attack he himself is attacked by a deflating kilometre-to-go gate.

2) He is the first rider in living memory to initially get the jersey to then have it taken away from him by a questionable jury decision on the Mont Ventoux.

3) He is on his way to a certain stage win and just has to ride down a descent but crashes (this time un-aided by balloon-like devices) and is overtaken by Alaphilippe.

4) He is the first rider in living memory to be handed the yellow jersey after the jury gave a time penalty to the current leader (who also was featuring in point 3).

Amazing how many odd things that have happened to him.

TRENDING THREADS