• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was super happy for Simon yesterday. There, he once again showed he‘s one of the very best WT riders. Also, his ITT on Wednesday was super.

Even though there are Pogacar and Roglic, cycling is so unpredictable. You had years when Pereiro, Sastre, Evans or Thomas won the Tour. You never know what happens in the race.

Adam and Simon Yates should do the Tours de France for the next years for Ineos and BikeEx, respectively, and do them as leaders. They both are potential TdF winners. They don‘t get hyped too much, any more, so why not start and look how the race develops?

Adam showed at UAE Tour that he can be at Pogi‘s level, and Simon showed yesterday that he can beat Primoz. For us as spectators, it‘s always good to have both Yates in a race. Both not only are incredibly fast, they also have the courage to attack when they see the slightest possibility to. :)

I was super happy for Simon yesterday. There, he once again showed he‘s one of the very best WT riders. Also, his ITT on Wednesday was super.

Even though there are Pogacar and Roglic, cycling is so unpredictable. You had years when Pereiro, Sastre, Evans or Thomas won the Tour. You never know what happens in the race.

Adam and Simon Yates should do the Tours de France for the next years for Ineos and BikeEx, respectively, and do them as leaders. They both are potential TdF winners. They don‘t get hyped too much, any more, so why not start and look how the race develops?

Adam showed at UAE Tour that he can be at Pogi‘s level, and Simon showed yesterday that he can beat Primoz. For us as spectators, it‘s always good to have both Yates in a race. Both not only are incredibly fast, they also have the courage to attack when they see the slightest possibility to. :)

Try telling that last point to the posters here.

Try telling that last point to the posters here.
LOL. Including me. We have seen this picture in the past. In a podcast yesterday they were commenting the exact same things. Some of them think they discovered the contenders for the Slovenians. And the others have seen this picture before with the Yates brothers. Basically Simon lacks consistency for 3 weeks and Yates sometimes disappears during the summer days.

But any contender at peak performance is welcome in order to have good spectacle. However, I think Simon is focusing on the Giro again. Maybe I am wrong and they change his schedule.

I know, and I still think it is a stupid plan. They have done that for multiple years now. But Yates his best year by far was the year where he did Giro + Vuelta. If he does it this year I think he has a good chance to podium both races. In the Tour he might have a chance to win stages, but there aren't too many chances there.

He did win two stages at the 2019 TDF and had a chance in the aborted stage 19 - He also crashed out in 2021 - He only rode the Giro in 2020.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
He did win two stages at the 2019 TDF and had a chance in the aborted stage 19 - He also crashed out in 2021 - He only rode the Giro in 2020.

Naaah, in the year that Simon won the Vuelta he also dominated the Giro in the first two weeks with an almost Pogacar like kind of level. And then in stage 19 came a very big collapse after some minor signs that his performance was decreasing already in stage 18.

Naaah, in the year that Simon won the Vuelta he also dominated the Giro in the first two weeks with an almost Pogacar like kind of level. And then in stage 19 came a very big collapse after some minor signs that his performance was decreasing already in stage 18.

And you don't realise that S.Yates was supposed to back up in the 2018 TDF as a stage hunter but had not sufficiently recovered frpm the Giro, so the fall back was the Vuelta - So it was circumstances that he went to Vuelta, like Bernal was supposed to ride the 2019 Giro until he broke his collarbone, so then reset for the TDF. Also consider that Yates may not want to ride GC at two GT's in one year.

Adam is leading Ineos at Le Tour, Simon is leading Bike Exchange at Giro, that's why Simon is approaching top form in Paris-Nice because he's only got one more race before Giro and that's Catalunya, then he goes to Giro altitude camp I'd think for the last few weeks.

I have already posted that Yates will chase GC at the Giro - TDF for stages is if he recovers from the Giro - Anyway, Simon chooses his own program at BEX.

And you don't realise that S.Yates was supposed to back up in the 2018 TDF as a stage hunter but had not sufficiently recovered frpm the Giro, so the fall back was the Vuelta - So it was circumstances that he went to Vuelta, like Bernal was supposed to ride the 2019 Giro until he broke his collarbone, so then reset for the TDF. Also consider that Yates may not want to ride GC at two GT's in one year.

So? I still think that the Giro - Vuelta combination is by far best suited for him. Regardless of whether he wants to ride two GTs for GC or not. And the fact that he was supposed to ride the Tour does not make his season in 2018 any less successful. It was simply by far his best season, with the type op program I would love to see him do again.

Stage hunting in the Tour well yeah. Maybe he wins a stage, but for a rider like him that does not really matter that much anymore in my opinion.

One of the weirdest things about Simon Yates is his total lack of one day racing results. Usually when a rider is superb on his day but unreliable over an extended period, a lot of his wins will be one day races. It’s not as if he’s a diesel climber without the weapons to win.

Yes, I would also add that for me it is weird how his twin brother has significantly better one day racing results.

One of the weirdest things about Simon Yates is his total lack of one day racing results. Usually when a rider is superb on his day but unreliable over an extended period, a lot of his wins will be one day races. It’s not as if he’s a diesel climber without the weapons to win.

He's just not good at it - Porte is similar - Could never understand how both went to the Olympics in 2021.

He's just not good at it - Porte is similar - Could never understand how both went to the Olympics in 2021.

Well yes, I agree that he’s not good at it. But that doesn’t really clarify why he’s not good at it.

The positioning issue others mention is clearly a part of it, but much worse riders than him aren’t good at positioning in a peloton or comfortable in it and they still have better one day results than him.

Well yes, I agree that he’s not good at it. But that doesn’t really clarify why he’s not good at it.

The positioning issue others mention is clearly a part of it, but much worse riders than him aren’t good at positioning in a peloton or comfortable in it and they still have better one day results than him.

My guess is distance - All the top level one day races are over 200kms - Combine this with the greater intensity compared to a stage race and then you a possible answer.

I think its also heavily down to the preparation and form curve ahead of a one day race rather than endurance or positioning.

If endurance was the issue Simon would have good results in shorter one day races. And contrary to popular believe the monuments arent ridden extremely fast on every hill or the flats either. You can easily find stages ridden more brutally in the medium mountains than is often the case in Liege or Lombardia

They were destined for greatness from an early age. Here a random player from the local football team asks for a photo with them. "I'm going to go to Madrid a win something big, maybe you could too" Simon told him

FN1LhuXXsAAIpa0.jpg

Apparently Yates has a contusion of the knee he fell on yesterday. Hopefully it isn't too bad. At least he should have two easy days now to recover a bit. Friday might be more difficult if they go all out on the steep climb, but that one is quite far from the finish. Hopefully by Sunday he has recovered. After losing Lopez it would be a shame if Yates is now also out of the race early on.

Apparently Yates has a contusion of the knee he fell on yesterday. Hopefully it isn't too bad. At least he should have two easy days now to recover a bit. Friday might be more difficult if they go all out on the steep climb, but that one is quite far from the finish. Hopefully by Sunday he has recovered. After losing Lopez it would be a shame if Yates is now also out of the race early on.

Adam will ride until Simon has recovered.

TRENDING THREADS