• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yates is entering rarefied air ( non sprinter ) with a total of ten GT stage wins - For all his foibles, he's had an outstanding career.
Agree. He's a great racer in GTs, even when he's out of GC contention he's still looking for the win. Today he lurked at the back of the break forever, stayed cool when Carapaz attacked then pounced at the perfect moment.

He must be really frustrated right now - he's clearly got the form to win the overall.

The reason being he often rides at the back of the peloton for no reason.

But I don't think the difference between a 5th and a 10th place in GC matters that much to him. Or do you think he'd still be in contention for a podium?
No. Don't think it matters at all to him.

I guess if he can get it he'd take a top 10 as a bonus on tpo of more stages, and top 10 should be doable if he gets into a breakaway or there is enough carnage.

Today made me think the climbing field below the top 10 might be pretty eeeehhh.

Yates must be one of the most inconsistent (quality) riders ever.

On his day he can drop anyone not named Pogacar. On his off day (which happens at least once per GT) he can shed 15 or 20 minutes. If he is able to limit his losses on his off day then he can Top5 or podium.

Going to the Tour for stages is an awful idea if he's still not recovered. Just go for the Vuelta. The least complicated GT, suits him the best, has time to recover and race for GC, and the Slovenians will probably be a little bit tired.

Meanwhile his contract is up at the end fo the year. TBE should be 100% trying everything to extend him, but with Yates I feel a bunch of other teams, especially Ineos should be all over Simon Yates.

Last edited:
Reactions: KZD
Going to the Tour for stages is an awful idea if he's still not recovered. Just go for the Vuelta. The least complicated GT, suits him the best, has time to recover and race for GC, and the Slovenians will probably be a little bit tired.

Meanwhile his contract is up at the end fo the year. TBE should be 100% trying everything to extend him, but with Yates I feel a bunch of other teams, especially Ineos should be all over Simon Yates.

You can take it to the bank that Simon will renew with BEX, although he may have to re-consider his GC ambitions at GT's - Simon will not go to the TDF if he has not recovered, BUT if he does will ride for GC if he survives the first five stages, or otherwise he will go to stages - I understand that Simon chooses his own program but the BEX program for the Vuelta was to focus on stages, especially sprint stages - Then again if Groves leaves they may not send him to the Vuelta and change focus.