• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans, welcome to the Grand Tour club

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cadel was strong throughout

rhubroma said:
Congratulations, but a win that lacked pinache.

No mountain stage victory. No time trial victory.

Can't disagree more with this. The time trial was absolutely clutch and showed he had more left in the tank than any GC contender.

Also, I think his effort in basically singlehandedly pulling the GC contender group back to Andy on the Galibier was spectacular. Trimming that gap down below 4:00 won him this Tour as much as the time trial today...

CADEL!!

He has had SO much bad luck, close calls...he has never given up or stopped trying his heart out.

I really started to appreciate his style after he became the WC and he has never given it less than his best ever since.

Cadel has what it takes to be a true champion and he is humble and real to boot!

Very deserving of this GC crown and this Tour has had some amazing racing!! I am going to be in a deep withdrawal after the Tour is over....
but on to the Vuelta!!

ACF I am so happy for you and your country! Enjoy the celebrations!
:)

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
cadel_ipad-art-wide-420x0.jpg
How Sweet it is! :D

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
In response to those saying "they don't like Cadel in interviews or on Youtube" and "we don't like Cadel's style"...

Cadel has terrible social and media skills - absolutely atrocious - no doubt. In fact, I am pretty sure he must be mildly autistic. He also previously has stressed very badly (kind of like me after 5 mins on a treadmill). And I think in every tour prior to this, he was holding on for dear life, which is a form of wheel sucking I guess, although perhaps is also the sign of the ultimate fighter... not sure. But, in this particular tour, he hasn't put a foot wrong, has rode from the front since day one, has seemed comfortable in front of the cameras (albeit a bit awkward) and for someone to still harbour negativity towards Cadels attitude and style - while understandable - isn't really fair.

This tour he has been the strongest, led the most, finished ahead of the other GC rivals on nearly every stage, rode with an attacking style since day 1 (literally), and showed the most strength over the crucial final 3 days. He climbed the Col del Chevalier over 2 mins faster than Schleck - twice. He dropped Contador and Sanchez ffs. Really deserving champ this year, much more so than his previous 2nd places, and I think any past indiscretions should be forgotton and people should remember Cadel for what he has achieved at this year's race. Not sure if he intends to continue on, but if he can continue this form, hey, who knows how well can do!

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Feeling so proud right now and I am not even an Australian!

Chapeau sir, you won one of the most exciting Grand Tours I have ever seen or heard off.

ps. Australians, you better party like crazy tonight :)

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I don't see what Sastre has got to do with anything I wrote other than tangentially, and no more than 30 or 40 other riders.

Based on your post history, I wasnt sure if thats what you meant, but when you say that the answer why Cadel couldnt win 2003-10 but can now lies in the clinic, thats how it will be interpreted.

kcbworth said:
In response to those saying "they don't like Cadel in interviews or on Youtube" and "we don't like Cadel's style"...

Cadel has terrible social and media skills - absolutely atrocious - no doubt. In fact, I am pretty sure he must be mildly autistic.

His interview after the win was brilliant, at least the one i saw. Said everything right. Asked if his career was complete he said theres always more. Talked about how winning any Grand Tour would have completed his career.

As for your second sentence, while i dont know if its fair to make that kind of evaluation, I always did think he was a bit slow in some ways including the interview yesterday, but thats just another reason to like him.

I'm not a Cadel fan but he deserved it. No doubt about it. He also was able to capitalize on the good luck he had whereas Andy was not. I really hope Andy has figured it out that he needs to improve his TT abilities. This is two years straight now where his lack of TT skills cost him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I never have been, and never will be, a Cadel fan. Nevertheless, I can happily doff my hat to him for being this year's deserved winner. Quite apart from his heroic efforts in the mountains, he rode a monstrous TT today to come within seconds of Tony Martin, who had clearly been saving everything he had left for today.

Deep respect for a worthy winner!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Congratulations Cadel!

Congratulations to all your fans as well :)

I certainly didn't expect he would win this year.

+1.

I was doing a fantasy team for a colleague before the Tour and the had Cadel same price as Alberto & Andy, and I was like "wha?".

I am very happy he proved me wrong - he rode a smart race and was aggressive when he needed to be.

Congrats to all his fans as well.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
titan_90 said:
Great ride by Cadel today. I thought he was going to take the TT win also. He was the strongest and most consistent over the three weeks. A very deserving winner.

It always amuses me that the Green Jersey for the most consistent rider actually goes to the least consistent riders as a group. Cadel won by always being close. His bad days were less bad than everyone elses.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I may not be his biggest fan, but he has deserved this win!! Was a tough way to get there, had to overcome many low points in his career, but has never given up. He is a good TdF champion, congratulations!

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Dos Schlekies

"I dont always win Grand Tours, but when I do, I prefer Dos Schlekies. Stay thirsty my friends"

Cadel Evans, the most interesting man in the world