• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel's destintation...

Where will Cadel be in 2010?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Where will evans go? Please tell all.. Sorry az-kaaf for stealing a thread but hey everyones doing and i thought a poll would be a good idea.

I'll go first then:

SKY or Lampre.

SKY for obvious reasons. They have the budget, set up, and want a proper GC leader (sorry to all Lokvist fans but i think he needs more maturing and at the moment is more suited to week long stage races). They could use Evans for a few years to help develop Lokvist and EBH.

I see Lampre as a real dark horse to get Evans, as they already had the money (1.5 mil euros) set aside for Danilo Di Luca and also have just got a new sponsor. (farnese Vini). 1.5 mil would still be a pay cut for Evans wouldn't it?

So i'll vote for SKY

A

Anonymous

El Imbatido said:
1.5 mil would still be a pay cut for Evans wouldn't it?

I have no source for this, but I had a feeling he was on 2.5, but that's just an old memory

I want him to go to Sky, but I would prefer Wiggo to Sky and Evans to Garmin. So I guess I'll vote Sky as a prediction of where he is actually going to end up

I just hope its not a step down (in terms of GC help) to Lampre, Katusha, Columbia, Quick Step, French teams

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
he is going to BMC, close the poll.

why?

business model: Cervelo 2009

BMC is Swiss

BMC and Andy Rihs will have a working relationship with Rominger of IMG, Evans manager

rainbow rings buys an invite

Ballan and Hincapie proved ambition

Cancellara will come in 2011, and try and win the Tour. But 'tl then, they are sort of stuck, and need a Tour invite.

Is about $$$. Not about team support. Not sure who they can now get to support Evans in the mtns. But this is not about winning the Tour. Evans and his manager are about $$$, not about planning to get the appropriate team. Besides, the biggest variable in winning the Tour is the medical support, not the team support.

rainbow is the change

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

why?

BMC is Swiss

BMC and Andy Rihs will have a working relationship with Rominger of IMG, Evans manager

Cancellara will come in 2011, and try and win the Tour. But 'tl then, they are sort of stuck, and need a Tour invite.

Is about $$$. Not about team support. Not sure who they can now get to support Evans in the mtns. But this is not about winning the Tour. Evans and his manager are about $$$, not about planning to get the appropriate team. Besides, the biggest variable in winning the Tour is the medical support, not the team support.

rainbow is the change

What a load of garbage. I think CE wants to win the tour. Going to BMC is not going to win you the tour. Money is lower down on the priority list compared to a tdf win.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
What a load of garbage. I think CE wants to win the tour. Going to BMC is not going to win you the tour. Money is lower down on the priority list compared to a tdf win.
if Evans wanted to win the Tour, he should have planned his career 5 years ago, and took less money, and looked at the teams that win the Tour. Or got his medical program in order.

You have no clue AusCycle

Mountain Goat said:
I have no source for this, but I had a feeling he was on 2.5, but that's just an old memory

I remeber hearing something like that too. It said something along the lines of that CE is the second highest paid rider in the sport behind Valverde. I think it said Valv.piti was on 3mil+ and CE was on 2mil or so.

Mountain Goat said:
I just hope its not a step down (in terms of GC help) to Lampre, Katusha, Columbia, Quick Step, French teams

I too hope it is not a backwards step to got to almost any of the teams you named above. Just a thought. Ag2r would probably be the only french team that it would not be a backwards step for as they already have some decent climbers (Efimkin, Valjavec, Goubert, Gadret, Nocentini, Dessel) But they most likely wouldn't have the budget.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
if Evans wanted to win the Tour, he should have planned his career 5 years ago, and took less money, and looked at the teams that win the Tour. Or got his medical program in order.

You have no clue AusCycle

I have no clue...:eek:, you know nothing, a cyclist doesn't race for money. they race to win. BMC won't even be inivited to the tour. I know that you are wrong for a fact.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I remeber hearing something like that too. It said something along the lines of that CE is the second highest paid rider in the sport behind Valverde. I think it said Valv.piti was on 3mil+ and CE was on 2mil or so.

I too hope it is not a backwards step to got to almost any of the teams you named above. Just a thought. Ag2r would probably be the only french team that it would not be a backwards step for as they already have some decent climbers (Efimkin, Valjavec, Goubert, Gadret, Nocentini, Dessel) But they most likely wouldn't have the budget.

ag2r have a bigger budget than silence lotto

blackcat said:

why?

BMC is Swiss

rainbow is the change

It actually makes a lot of sense, because it's exactly the missing link BMC needed.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:

rainbow is the change

If it was about money he would not have renewed his S/L contract after the 2008 Tour. Katusha wanted him as their marquee GC rider when they entered the ProTour and offered him well above what he got at Silence.

Why does he even need more money at this stage? Go to his website and have a look at the 4 cars he owns. Anyone with 4 cars does not need more than what he is earning now (which I think we have decided is about 2mill)

Everything with Evans since his 2007 Tour has been about the TEAM. This contract is about TEAM support as everyone who watches stage races and reads this website knows that the guy has potential if he had a little more team support.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I have no clue...:eek:, you know nothing, a cyclist doesn't race for money. they race to win. BMC won't even be inivited to the tour. I know that you are wrong for a fact.

edited by mod

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
If it was about money he would not have renewed his S/L contract after the 2008 Tour. Katusha wanted him as their marquee GC rider when they entered the ProTour and offered him well above what he got at Silence.

Why does he even need more money at this stage? Go to his website and have a look at the 4 cars he owns. Anyone with 4 cars does not need more than what he is earning now (which I think we have decided is about 2mill)

Everything with Evans since his 2007 Tour has been about the TEAM. This contract is about TEAM support as everyone who watches stage races and reads this website knows that the guy has potential if he had a little more team support.
did you believe Armstrong's book? Don't believe everything you read.

I would not assume automatically Evans had a contract on the table that had him a larger offer with Katusha.

He never had the right team. Lotto were never the right team. He should have left in 07.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Blackcat reasoning from my experience makes more sense than aussiecyclefans. Cadel loves the dollars. Sixty minutes did a piece in 2007 and interviewed Rogers and Evans. Rogers showed Liz Hayes his wife and kids in a small restaurant and that was it. A humble approach. Cadel flaunted the fancy car and credentials. Too totally opposite perspectives and attitudes contrast together. Left me thinking Cadel loved money, perhaps more so than winning, after all, Rogers showed what was most precious to him, his family, Cadel showed his Lotus. I read something of this, others may not, but it was revealing of the character of both men and how they portray themselves to the world.

Yeah Cadel says he wants to win the Tour and people say he is intelligent and capable, but don't ask why then hasn't he taken the necessary steps. The love of money is one explanation. It negates not winning. He chased dollars he could get and then worried about the team and winning. If BMC get an invite to the Tour from Prudhomme and can guarantee a start (I don't think they can given all the teams bar one this year will get one and so will the Shack) then Cadel may well have signed. Lampre are my pick. But I could see Cadel riding for BMC. Rainbow jersey does earn you more money, especially given the way aussie cycling fans have reacted to Cadels win.

Ps, aussiecyclefan94, the Editor of SBS cycling central left a comment on their site about possible teams for Cadel. He mentioned five, all the teams you put in the poll. I think he copied you and this is not the first time I've suspected they've copied the ideas of bloggers on this forum. The timing fits. Or maybe you copied him? Nah, doubt that. Also, AG2R's budget has nothing to do with it. They have to have the money to pay out Cadels existing contract and pay him for the next year. Garmin have money (he won't go there) and so do Katusha. AG2R don't have the available funds. Few teams do.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
BMC makes a lot of sense to me, as does AG2R.

But he could end up in any team with the funds and a DS masochistic enough to put up with his personality.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Blackcat & Aus94!

C'mon guys - if you have the info great - if not give your best guess.
Let Cadel decide which one of you is correct.

From what he has said lately he still believes he can win the Tour - and even though I do not share his conviction I applaude his ambition.
Which team he selects though will show whether he is cashing in on his Rainbow Jersey or if he genuinely believes he can win the Tour.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
blackcat quit having a bawww

sky would be cool. Im just glad that cadel finally left silence lotto, they were so pathetic. Next years tour is gonna be so damn awesome.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

+1
Blackcat, if it was about money then Cadel would not be leaving. Could BMC pay cadel more than 2 million dollars? I don't think so. My **** knows more than you. hardly anyone would seriously think he was going to bmc. they won't ride the tour and couldn't support him to win any race he targets. S/L would have a better support crew than them. I know for a fact you are wrong so it doesn't matter.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
+1
Blackcat, if it was about money then Cadel would not be leaving. Could BMC pay cadel more than 2 million dollars? I don't think so. My **** knows more than you. hardly anyone would seriously think he was going to bmc. they won't ride the tour and couldn't support him to win any race he targets. S/L would have a better support crew than them. I know for a fact you are wrong so it doesn't matter.
BMC are just mimicking Cervelo 2009.

Ballan and Hincapie have pedigree and the credentials to command a Tour invite, without Evans.

The Tour invite will be automatic.

BMC is owned by Andy Rihs, one of Switzerland's richest individuals, an Industrialist who owns the majority of the holding company that owns the controlling share of Phonak. He wants his team back.

Be sure they will have the Swiss' best rider Cancellara in 2011, and he will be leading a Tour tilt.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Where will evans go? Please tell all.. Sorry az-kaaf for stealing a thread but hey everyones doing and i thought a poll would be a good idea.

I think you're missing the two most likely and logical alternatives: Katusha and BMC

El Imbatido said:
1.5 mil would still be a pay cut for Evans wouldn't it?

So i'll vote for SKY

Actually it would be a significant increase to his Lotto salary of approximately 1.1 million.

People don't seem to realize that Lotto have a very small budget for a ProTour team :)

A

Anonymous

Galic Ho said:
Blackcat reasoning from my experience makes more sense than aussiecyclefans. Cadel loves the dollars. Sixty minutes did a piece in 2007 and interviewed Rogers and Evans. Rogers showed Liz Hayes his wife and kids in a small restaurant and that was it. A humble approach. Cadel flaunted the fancy car and credentials. Too totally opposite perspectives and attitudes contrast together. Left me thinking Cadel loved money, perhaps more so than winning, after all, Rogers showed what was most precious to him, his family, Cadel showed his Lotus. I read something of this, others may not, but it was revealing of the character of both men and how they portray themselves to the world.

I think this is more indicative of how 60 minutes portrayed the riders. I doubt Rogers and Evans had much input into what was shown. The producers would have said, Cadel your the top dog, show us you cars, and to rogers, well we need a different angle, do a family piece on him.

They wanted to show two different sides of the story. That riders can be family men, and they can earn lot's of money if they are searching for a Tour crown. Any television producer would not have shown two stories about the exact same thing (i.e. show Rogers with money, and Evans with money OR Rogers with family and Evans with family), so for me, I didn't read anything into this.

Cadel has shown a lot through SBS pieces that he is very down to earth, supports Tibet, Indigenous Australia and various other causes, and more than ever he is portrayed as a loveable son (by his mum) and a caring husband (by his wife) and we all know he loves his dog too.

I think it's interesting about how you portray that piece, but I have to disagree on that one. personally, I think he is loaded up with $$$ at the moment, and the many many interviews he's done this week suggests he wants to be a winner, not a rich second place getter. He said on ONE HD on thursday that he hasn't acheived his goals as a road racer yet. It's fair to say he has achieved his monetary goals at this stage in his career, so I really do think its about team support than money

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i'd exclude katusha...read some place they already have 29 riders on the books
and closed for business this year? i find it probable that he goes to columbia

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
I think you're missing the two most likely and logical alternatives: Katusha and BMC

Actually it would be a significant increase to his Lotto salary of approximately 1.1 million.

People don't seem to realize that Lotto have a very small budget for a ProTour team :)

What's your source for the amount on his contract at S/L?
Can i change my prediction for what team he is going to - well it's cervelo. just my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS