• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Caffeine bombshell

Prodigy

BANNED
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
Taking health advice from the Daily mail is probably he most dangerous thing about that article!

No they're actually quite good on health matters. They know middle aged people love all that. They have a huge health section.

It's not the Mail anyway, it's a study they're citing.

I often take those caffeine gells. Maybe it's holding me back?

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
that would explain why if i have a strong coffee my bp goes from 120/60 to 130/70 and my pulse goes up to about 100bpm..

Reducing flow to the heart would not increase your blood pressure. In fact it would cause you to go hypotensive due to reduced cardiac output.

That article is just silly for a number of reasons. A small n for the human population (20 adults...I bet they were all Italian as well). They measured flow to the heart after an hour but no mention of change in blood volume. Caffeine is a diuretic causing a reduction in their blood volume which causes a reduction in return flow to the heart.

Just ignore it.

Prodigy

BANNED
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
.Grahf said:
Reducing flow to the heart would not increase your blood pressure. In fact it would cause you to go hypotensive due to reduced cardiac output.

That article is just silly for a number of reasons. A small n for the human population (20 adults...I bet they were all Italian as well). They measured flow to the heart after an hour but no mention of change in blood volume. Caffeine is a diuretic causing a reduction in their blood volume which causes a reduction in return flow to the heart.

Just ignore it.

The study is by proper qualified professionals, and 20 people is more than many other medical trials I have seen, so I wouldn't ignore it. It's information that must be noted, but of course with caution.

It's careful to say that in the long term caffeine is still good for the heart because of the other properties. But I'm just interested in the short term effects on performance. It has been thought that caffeine is a sports aid. Maybe the extra concentration overrides the possible cardio issues, I don't know.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
some people go berserk when drinking too much caffeine. They have been known to post 50 items to a singleforum in a single day!!! at least that is what the study that had 26 people said, and that is the biggest sample i have ever neard of.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i swear excessive coffee consumption accelerates the development of front lobe which more than compensates for the reduced flow to the heart which i swear fully explains armstrongs wins and his well documented obsession with caffeine pills.

ravens said:
some people go berserk when drinking too much caffeine. They have been known to post 50 items to a singleforum in a single day!!! at least that is what the study that had 26 people said, and that is the biggest sample i have ever neard of.

Quit yer trolling, nobody would be lame enough to post 50 times in one day on a single forum, caffeine or not.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i swear excessive coffee consumption accelerates the development of front lobe which more than compensates for the reduced flow to the heart which i swear fully explains armstrongs wins and his well documented obsession with caffeine pills.
That's grossly unfair -
I realise the Olsen girl was pretty skinny but to call her a "caffeine pill" ..:p

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
@raven, Nah, caffeine is supposed to improve concentration and cognition. If the posts were moronic it's probably just that the study subject was just inherently defective...

@dim, my heart races with caffeine too. I thought the effect is something to do with the SA node (which controls heart rate) and calcium in the blood...but I could be talking shyte here

Prodigy

BANNED
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Quit yer trolling, nobody would be lame enough to post 50 times in one day on a single forum, caffeine or not.

You'd be surprised how many posts it takes to fend off a group trolling attack. They move in packs so you have to have your wits about you.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
That's grossly unfair -
I realise the Olsen girl was pretty skinny but to call her a "caffeine pill" ..:p
this is grossly unfair to the prodigy's topic title. are you confusing caffeine bomb shell withe caffeine bimbo shell?:p

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:

It's scientific fact! Since I put a block on a certain Pro****, blood flow to my brain and heart have increased. Feel my pulse...

A

Anonymous

.Grahf said:

Just ignore it.

oh i was being sarcy.. .id already written the article off as ********.. the mail are idiots.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
@raven, Nah, caffeine is supposed to improve concentration and cognition. If the posts were moronic it's probably just that the study subject was just inherently defective...

@dim, my heart races with caffeine too. I thought the effect is something to do with the SA node (which controls heart rate) and calcium in the blood...but I could be talking shyte here

WADA should ban slim Red Heads too - as that what get's my heart racing.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Prodigy said:
The study is by proper qualified professionals, and 20 people is more than many other medical trials I have seen, so I wouldn't ignore it. It's information that must be noted, but of course with caution.

It's careful to say that in the long term caffeine is still good for the heart because of the other properties. But I'm just interested in the short term effects on performance. It has been thought that caffeine is a sports aid. Maybe the extra concentration overrides the possible cardio issues, I don't know.

I would suggest not ignoring the article, but perhaps take it with a grain of salt. The study seems to only focus on blood flow to the heart. Another effect of caffine is some amount of dehydration, certainly not good for cycling, but the degree may not be enough to cause problems. I´ve never read anything about it, but I would think that coffe can´t be too good for the liver. The article also mentions moderation as 4-5 cups a day. I don´t consider that moderate at all. I try to stay within 3 cups as a limit.

TRENDING THREADS