• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can anyone beat these 6

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bennett is definitely the most vulnerable on this list but that's more of a reflection on the chaotic nature of bunch sprints than anything else. Ewan appears to be the main threat when at his peak.

The top 5 are easily the 5 best bike racers in the world over the last 12 months.

I only started following closely again in late 2000s early 2010s, MvdP and co. make me sometimes think that probably I started watching again in a rather low-level generation. I remember Sagan looked so good and special when he emerged, then he proceeded to not win crazy amount of races despite looking so special.
But again, maybe I just started watching in an era of extreme specialization, when Sagan was the only new rider at that time that bore some sort of resemblance to the great all-rounders of the past, while other top riders at their peak age would have probably been called one trick pony in other eras. Maybe that uptight era is ending and we're back to seeing new talents who were built to focus on and can do almost everything, some of them with crazy high level.
Too bad Moreno Moser was not one of them -:

• Sad
Reactions: SafeBet
I only started following closely again in late 2000s early 2010s, MvdP and co. make me sometimes think that probably I started watching again in a rather low-level generation. I remember Sagan looked so good and special when he emerged, then he proceeded to not win crazy amount of races despite looking so special.
But again, maybe I just started watching in an era of extreme specialization, when Sagan was the only new rider at that time that bore some sort of resemblance to the great all-rounders of the past, while other top riders at their peak age would have probably been called one trick pony in other eras. Maybe that uptight era is ending and we're back to seeing new talents who were built to focus on and can do almost everything, some of them with crazy high level.
Too bad Moreno Moser was not one of them -:

I dunno if I would say a low level generation. Remember there have been some pretty special riders in the last 10-15 years. I think it is more of a case that cycling is now in a "Golden Generation" where we are seeing generational type riders that somewhat resembles the 60s and 70s.

You got to see Cavendish, Boonen, Valverde, Cancellara, Greipel , Gilbert, Contador, Froome etc.

The difference is that we are seeing riders in their teens early 20s dominate and it's going to be very difficult to win a race that includes some combination of WVA, MVDP, Alaphillipe, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Hirschi, et al.

I dunno if I would say a low level generation. Remember there have been some pretty special riders in the last 10-15 years. I think it is more of a case that cycling is now in a "Golden Generation" where we are seeing generational type riders that somewhat resembles the 60s and 70s.

You got to see Cavendish, Boonen, Valverde, Cancellara, Greipel , Gilbert, Contador, Froome etc.

The difference is that we are seeing riders in their teens early 20s dominate and it's going to be very difficult to win a race that includes some combination of WVA, MVDP, Alaphillipe, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Hirschi, et al.

"low level generation" was the first phase of my train of thought, which I diverted later to the more broad skillset of current top riders. I mean I won't say that anyone racing today is better than top Contador/Froome in climbing, top Boonen in cobble, top Cav in sprinting, or any top riders of 8-10 years ago in any discipline. But even riders like Gilbert seems so fixated in one discipline for awhile early to mid 2010s. It looks that things have changed, you can wish for refined Valverde-Cancellara hybrid these days.

I would not include Greipel in that list as he was clearly below Cavendish head to head and never won a monument or Worlds unlike Cav.

The rest of the riders on that list all won Grand Tours or multiple monuments/world championships.

Would Kristoff have been in the top 16 favourites in 2015? Or Bettiol in '19 for that matter.
Kristoff probably would have—he was already getting established for having a good sprint at the end of long, very hard races, and in some interview he said he realized he made a mistake not staying with the leaders in the previous edition b/c he thought he would blow up, but then was surprised how strong he felt at the race finish. He might not have among the top 5 favorites, but top 10-16, yes.

ed. Ah, I see Boni beat me to it!:)

Bennett is definitely the most vulnerable on this list but that's more of a reflection on the chaotic nature of bunch sprints than anything else. Ewan appears to be the main threat when at his peak.

The top 5 are easily the 5 best bike racers in the world over the last 12 months.

Ironically, it actually looks like he's probably the least vulnerable right now. Only one other rider capable of beating him regularly and he's currently winning that head to head 5—1 in terms of wins.

TRENDING THREADS