• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Evans win this giro?

Can Evans win this giro?

• I dont care, I'm done with this giro.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
The question is rather how many riders are better at climbing than Evans in the current peloton? Then we can begin to calculate.

Quintana should be able to get 5-10 minutes ahead of Evans if he really wanted to.

People forgetting about Uran? He is only 57 sec down and has looked strong. 2 Minutes for Quintana in the mountains is not a lot if he is on form plus Cadel is 37 and we don't know how his body and immune system will react in week 3. Yes Horner is 42 but can you get two statistical outliers in two successive years?

I am an Evans fan since 1999 but I am still trying to be realistic. I'll start getting excited if he TTs well as I am quietly confident in his climbing. He is definately looking stronger than last year while climbing. But Cadel has not ridden a strong TT since the 2011 TDF and he was terrible in last years Giro TT but I think he has better prep and form this year.

Yes he gained a lot of time today but still too many questions to be answered by both him and his rivals. Lets see.

The first TT is the critical stage for Evans. If he can't put decent time into his rivals his second TT will probably be worse and then he has the third week to contend with. He already has a minute on Uran but the gap to Quintana is probably the important one and it's not enough at the moment unless Evans can climb like Horner did in the Vuelta !

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes he can, now someone besides Evans must break the record on Zoncolan to change it and took him the lead.

It will be hard now, but I hope he doesn't win this Giro.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It's possible. He was always going to require some luck to win the Giro. If he stays healthy and some of the other main guys get unlucky he's a good shot.

hfer07 said:
Let me put it this way:

I will have no problem at all with Cadel winning IF the result is the outcome of a good/fierce fight with the remaining GC contenders and NOT because of today's carnage alone.......

After the last week today may be all but forgotten. I hope so. But if Evans stays healthy and if he TTs well he will give it a big shake thats for sure .Still big "ifs" though.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't see much belief here in Cadel and I'm surprised.
He already has a comfortable advantage which is likely to grow after the first tt, he's not bad at all in the mountains (especially when he just has to ride defensively), he's obviously excellently prepared and has experience of winning the GT, and maybe the most important - I'm not convinced Quintana or Uran or anyone else can take 3+ minutes on him. Maybe if Quintana repeats his Tour performance, but I doubt he'll hit that form in the last week.
So, it's Evans' race to lose at the moment, imo.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
b3n3v3nt3 said:
Can he win? Sure.
Will he? eh, probably not.

Lol. I think in Dolomites Quintana will say this to Evan:
"What happened behind, I really have no idea. I haven't seen it."

while Quintana is riding alone on the top of the mountain to get his maglia rosa :D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Lol. I think in Dolomites Quintana will say this to Evan:
"What happened behind, I really have no idea. I haven't seen it."

while Quintana is riding alone on the top of the mountain to get his maglia rosa :D

LOL the chance of Quintana winning this Giro is the same as AC winning this year Tour :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts