• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Evans win this giro?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can Evans win this giro?

• I dont care, I'm done with this giro.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
If he keeps attacking crashed podium contenders, yes. next Tuesday stage: BMC car to Cadel, "Quintana flatted hit it guys" :(

hfer07 said:
I start to believe Evans is going to pull a "Hesjedal" this year....:(

Why the frown ? If Evans can be strong in week 3 he will have earned his win just as Ryder did against Purito :)

As a non Evans fan, why are you now thinking he could win? I am an Evans fan but I am still wary. Maybe Quintana is showing some cracks due to injury or lack of form but still I have trouble believing due to Cadel's age he could stay ahead on the mountains to come.

But on the other hand Cadel seems very relaxed and confident in his post race interviews. If he was feeling under pressure it is not showing in his words or body language. It's almost like he knows he's got what he needs to handle the competition at this Giro? But perhaps more so with Purito and Quintana's misfortune. I have never been too concerned about him handling Uran. Purely on the fact Evans seems in better form than one year ago.

Cookster15 said:
But on the other hand Cadel seems very relaxed and confident in his post race interviews. If he was feeling under pressure it is not showing in his words or body language. It's almost like he knows he's got what he needs to handle the competition at this Giro?

He had the same attitude last year when talking to the media. It doesn't mean much to me.

SafeBet said:
He had the same attitude last year when talking to the media. It doesn't mean much to me.

Last year he was doing the Giro as prep for the Tour. There was no pressure. The podium was a bonus for him which is why he was relaxed then. This year the Giro is the only objective for Evans. He's not showing the pressure.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Last year he was doing the Giro as prep for the Tour. There was no pressure. The podium was a bonus for him which is why he was relaxed then. This year the Giro is the only objective for Evans. He's not showing the pressure.

Why he needs to have pressure? He is not a newbie, he already won the tour, he has nothing to prove. If he can win the Giro, that is only another trophy to his splendid career. If not, so be it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think Pozzovivo is in good form, and Cadel beat him in Trentino so I think Cadel is also. The TT will be the test, if he gets another minute there that'll be 2 minutes on Uran and 3 on Quintana. If he doesn't then he's in serious trouble. BUt thinking about 2 minutes up on Uran and 3 up on Quintana going into the final week, he just needs to race smart, and rely on his team. Don't try to match Quintana and blow up, just ride tempo and lose 30 seconds every MTF. If Quintana goes one mountain early, use Sanchez and catch him on the downhill...(hehehe Arroyo says hi :) )
I think it'll be much closer than that in the TT, and as a longtime fan of Evans I'm waiting for the multi minute loss one day, however the others need to put the pressure on and make it happen. If Quintana waits to see weakness and then attacks, like Andy, I think it'll be too late.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah, Ulissi, who was dropped on the frikking Carpegna.

And if you watched closely, Evans did definately not look at ease most of the time. Hell he lost time in the sprint to Kelderman for goodness sake

No sport contains fans more adept at reading facial and body expressions and all they entail than cycling fans. Not a one.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
After last year's Horner Vuelta Show I wouldn't be surprised if a junior compared to Horner, that is Cadel, can keep up for three weeks. Evans in yesterday's shape with a 2 minute lead can win the Giro. I think the key is to not crack when it matters most, in the last hard week. Whether he is capable remains to be seen but I think he already secured a podium finish if nothing exceptional happens.

I'd rather not be comparing Evans with Horner atm. If Evans wins the giro, which is still a few serious efforts away, I would like to think there will be no question marks over his form.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
howardyou said:
Not that i can find. The only people that seem to have had an issue with Cadel's actions the other day are fans of other riders.

He did actually say it. At least I read it on a Dutch cycling news website:

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/26936/wilco-kelderman-ik-verbaas-me-hier-zelf-keer-op-keer.html

Talks about how he suprised himself with his good results and he literally says at some point:
"Naar Evans kijk ik niet, want zijn voorsprong heeft hij cadeau gekregen door een crash."

which means:
"I'm not looking at Evans, because he got his lead as a present because of a crash"

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Keldermerckx "I don't watch Evans, besides he got most of his gap because of a crash anyway"

ohhhhhh :eek:
Keldermerckx has a big mouth! That's very refreshing and entertaining to see, instead of the usual bland comments made by riders. I'll turn into a fan if he becomes the Cavendish of the GC riders!

trevim said:
Keldermerckx has a big mouth! That's very refreshing and entertaining to see, instead of the usual bland comments made by riders. I'll turn into a fan if he becomes the Cavendish of the GC riders!

he also said before the giro that when he's in good form, the big riders don't go much faster "you can't go 40 kph on a climb anymore" :D

TRENDING THREADS