• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Landa win the Giro?

Now that Landa is going to be unleashed can he win the giro?

There is still a number of hard stages to come so if he is the strongest climber he should be able to make up time and he has the strongest team to support him. He is a long way down but if he attacks from a long way out and it works he could be taking back time.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Probably not, I can see him taking some more time but no way will he get 4mins. Contador only has to watch Landa now and so far we haven't seen them go head to head while being good. Landa got an easy ride for half the Mortirolo as he was pacing Aru so he was fresher at the end, but it was still an incredible attack.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
No obviously not unless contador has bad luck so i guess it's 50/50.

I wonder how strong landa is compared to the other 3 guys of the big 4 or is it that contador isn't that good in this giro.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
astana director MARTINELLI Giuseppe said it nicely a few days ago - '' You cant beat contador in a grand tour if he is in form, if you can make him work a little for it I consider that a victory. The guy has only lost 2 grand tours without a crash the last one was his last attempt of the giro- tour double, the other was his first race after the 1 year off. Its simply not possible to beat contador in a grand tour when hes in form the only way is hes crashes out.''

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
If Contador crashes, yes. Otherwise no.
+1. Landa is a prime pick for the runner-up spot, which is a very nice spot for him to be in. But if this Giro and last year's Tour (or you know, the last 100 years of GT racing) have taught us anything, is that it ain't over 'til it's over. Riders crash/get injured/get sick and it usually has very little to do with anything they did or didn't do.