• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Sky be destroyed be in the Tour?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can Sky be destroyed be in the Tour?

• Don't care, not gonna watch it at this rate. Will watch some old vino clips.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about the impact of the Wiggins Froome dynamic again this year...

It would be good to get some idea of how Wiggins is TTing compared to last year. I don't think he will win the Tour this year but if he is TTing at the same level then he could be in with a chance.

It would be great to see Wiggins in yellow after the first TT, purely to see how Sky handles things. Would he become leader? Would Chris Clive Froome ignore Sky orders and attack in the mountains? Plenty can happen between now and the Tour, but if he gets a sniff of yellow could Wiggins resist the temptation of a Tour Giro double (obviously has to win Giro first).

All of the above will hopefully have an affect on Sky's potential domination of the race:)

Contadoraus Schlecks said:

It would be good to get some idea of how Wiggins is TTing compared to last year. I don't think he will win the Tour this year but if he is TTing at the same level then he could be in with a chance.

It would be great to see Wiggins in yellow after the first TT, purely to see how Sky handles things. Would he become leader? Would Chris Clive Froome ignore Sky orders and attack in the mountains? Plenty can happen between now and the Tour, but if he gets a sniff of yellow could Wiggins resist the temptation of a Tour Giro double (obviously has to win Giro first).

All of the above will hopefully have an affect on Sky's potential domination of the race:)

Its interesting.

I can only see Wiggins going for the Tour. Consider the scenarios:

Wiggins wins the Giro: The knight then obviously wants to go for the double.

Wiggins fails to get on the podium in the Giro: New chance on the cards in the Tour.

Wiggins crashes out early in the Giro: Well, come back and take the yellow jersey in the tour instead.

I can't see any scenarios where Wiggins doesn't want to play in the tour.

And yes, Froome will attack. Very determined, our Froome.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:

If Wiggins get's himself in yellow at the Tour, and Sky try to make Froome work for him, I expect Froome to disobey orders and attack him and everybody else. After all, Froome could have won the 2011 Vuelta, and maybe the 2012 Tour (maybe) if it hadn't been for Sky making him work for Wiggins.

I think Froome's had enough of the domestique duties (especially for Wiggo) and should a 2012 Tour situation arise, will pretend his radio wasn't working. :D I can see it now "what? I was dropping Bradley? I had NO idea!" ;)

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Sky will have two or three more doms to support Froome and Wiggins this year, as no Cav or Eisel, and hopefully noone getting injured like Siutsou. I expect split tactics - Froome to tail Contador and Wiggins to diesel up the steep stuff behind the train then make up time on the TT.

Afrank said:
If Wiggins get's himself in yellow at the Tour, and Sky try to make Froome work for him, I expect Froome to disobey orders and attack him and everybody else. After all, Froome could have won the 2011 Vuelta, and maybe the 2012 Tour (maybe) if it hadn't been for Sky making him work for Wiggins.

I think Froome's had enough of the domestique duties (especially for Wiggo) and should a 2012 Tour situation arise, will pretend his radio wasn't working. :D I can see it now "what? I was dropping Bradley? I had NO idea!" ;)

If that happens, what does Porte do ? In the next 12 months I expect a lot of changes at Sky with the squad. I expect Froome, Porte and maybe EBH to move on and possibly one of the Colombians.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
If that happens, what does Porte do ? In the next 12 months I expect a lot of changes at Sky with the squad. I expect Froome, Porte and maybe EBH to move on and possibly one of the Colombians.

You mean who would Porte ride for? Wiggins or Froome?
I see Porte siding with Froome, the two are good friends.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Morbius said:
Sky will have two or three more doms to support Froome and Wiggins this year, as no Cav or Eisel, and hopefully noone getting injured like Siutsou. I expect split tactics - Froome to tail Contador and Wiggins to diesel up the steep stuff behind the train then make up time on the TT.

yeah and let Wigging won TDF?.. uffff. I don't see how Froome will go with that. He might keep saying about the team, but he's been playing that in last year vuelta and tour. He is... as nice as he is... ambitious to win the tour. No more mopping for wiggin this time around.. i don't believe he wants to do that again.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
yeah and let Wigging won TDF?.. uffff. I don't see how Froome will go with that. He might keep saying about the team, but he's been playing that in last year vuelta and tour. He is... as nice as he is... ambitious to win the tour. No more mopping for wiggin this time around.. i don't believe he wants to do that again.
Think of it another way. If Contador goes and Froome follows, should Froome cooperate or sit on his wheel? Unless Froome is confident he is is better than Contador, if he cooperates he only improves Contador's chances of beating both of them and potentially blowing up himself.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sky should be glad Nibali decided to do the Giro. :D Now if only Contador can get back to his previous level. Would love to see him and Quintana crushing the Sky train in the mountains.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
The Valverde + Quintana monster will be a major factor.

Not against Froome they will not.

Froome >>>>>>>> any other Sky climber

They will cause trouble, but I can't see how they can beat Froome and his team.

I have seen nothing that makes me think that Sky won't still be the team to beat at the Tour. Winning week long stage races is one thing but not many can do the same for three weeks. Plenty of riders can do one week at their peak but after two weeks many of them just drop off the radar.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I have seen nothing that makes me think that Sky won't still be the team to beat at the Tour. Winning week long stage races is one thing but not many can do the same for three weeks. Plenty of riders can do one week at their peak but after two weeks many of them just drop off the radar.

I still think sky is the team to beat. And they did it last year, with wiggin and his team. And ow yeah, they can peak all year long too.

Maybe Ferrari will be proven right and an outsider will win. You certainly wouldn't be putting your money on Contador at this point.

I want to see how a motivated Quintana does in a flat time trial. That was seriously impressive today but there weren't many flat KM's.

I think if this season has taught us anything then it's that the grand tours will be pretty closely fought. For all the talk of the Sky dominance they can still be beaten (Nibali in Tirreno and now Quintana in Pais Vasco). Having said that I still have Froome winning the Tour by a minute or so.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Carols said:
It's not over until they cross the finish line.....it might need alliances with multiple teams and riders working together, but the train can be broken.

We said the same thing last tour, speculating on an alliance between Nibali, Evans and van den Broeck, but we just give ourselves false hope. They care far too much about their top 10 position to form alliances with others designed to stop Sky winning.

TRENDING THREADS