• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

So, can he do it?

• Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's possible. The double is hardly unprecedented. The key is being able to win the Giro without being at your best. Obviously that takes a rider with a large margin over the rest of the competition

Contador failed in 2011 partly because of crashes in the Tour but mostly because he was too good in the Giro - hitting that level of form again probably is impossible. If he'd been at a much lower level in May but still good enough to win narrowly then he may well have been in peak form for the Tour

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins will win neither next year, unless a Sky DS lies to him and telsl him that there are free bars around the next bend, for the first rider to reach them.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Of course he can do it, but he probably won't.

I honestly, can't see Nibali beating him in the Giro. Quite a few people seem to seriously over-estimate Nibali's climbing ability.

Like Wiggo himself, Nibali is one of those riders who just has to hang in there when the true mountain goats pile on the pressure.

But, unlike Wiggo, Nibali is rubbish at pacing himself and riding to a schedule.

Unlike Purito, and Hesjedal, Nibali will at least have team support, but certainly no more team support than Wiggo ... probably less in quality and quantity.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
No, he might win the Giro next year but that will be difficult enough. If Contador and Andy are back in the TdF and both are 100% then Wiggins won't stand a chance. At the moment I think the only one capable of doing the double is Contador.

But I don't think Wiggins is seriously considering defending his Tour title. He will aim for the Giro and start the Tour to help Froome. His recent statement is just a gesture because he can't say he isn't interested in winning the Tour next year.

wow- so Wiggo wins the Tour "under a very unique set of circumstances" & suddenly he's taking about doing the double?

wow.....

& mean- wow....

either at Sky they're foolishly overconfidence about their "programme" or Wiggo is back on drinking....

hfer07 said:
wow- so Wiggo wins the Tour "under a very unique set of circumstances" & suddenly he's taking about doing the double?

wow.....

& mean- wow....

either at Sky they're foolishly overconfidence about their "programme" or Wiggo is back on drinking....

He is

bmt8hw

Wiggins says he is in better shape than last year at this point in time. Considering 2010 I dont know how far to trust him. It is good to see him drinking and enjoying himself on his week break from training in Mallorca..

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't be drinking that much anymore this late in your preparation. From all the news stories I've heard he hasn't done much training either. Was also out for quite some time because of that car accident.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
You shouldn't be drinking that much anymore this late in your preparation. From all the news stories I've heard he hasn't done much training either. Was also out for quite some time because of that car accident.

It's great when you're wrong more than once in a post.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Don't come complaining when Wiggo doesn't perform as good anymore as 2012. ;)

He's in better shape from what exactly? Smoking all the marginal gains?

I think you have me mistaken for a Wiggins fan.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
I think you have me mistaken for a Wiggins fan.

Not at all, I know you're not a Wiggins fan. Doesn't mean you can't be wrong about him though. ;)

This isn't the time of Bernard Hinault anymore where you could do nothing for a whole winter.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Not at all, I know you're not a Wiggins fan. Doesn't mean you can't be wrong about him though. ;)

When you catch me posting about how he'll win the Giro and/or Tour next year, let me know.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
When you catch me posting about how he'll win the Giro and/or Tour next year, let me know.

If he doesn't win the Giro then he clearly stuffed up his preparation because with last year's form it should be a walk in the park. Unless he crashes or gets terribly sick of course.

His early season form can't possibly be any good or he's the most talented cyclist in the world. These post-season pictures of Wiggins and Froome are hilarious. So much difference. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS