• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Was an extraterrestrial Reverend Moon officiating?

Race Radio said:
If this cycling thing does work out for him he can always go back to being a pimp

stefanie_cancellara.jpg

Where did he get that suit?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
This just cracks me up. Last week, Spartacus wins and the there is an immediate thread started asking who the real winner is. Today, he wins, but there is a thread started before the race is even finished. He may or may not be doped. Everyone in the peloton may be doped. But let me ask you this...could the very same thing happen if they are not doped? Seems to me that the answer is yes. Boonen himself said that he might have done the same thing (he in fact tried but could not get away). The fact that none of the guys behind Spartacus wanted to give chase indicates to me that they gave up, not that he cheated.

Probably because of the way he has been riding recently?
Climbing better than ever, dropping Boonen at Flanders I could somewhat understand, but bombarding in a TT mode in to a headwind with 50k's(!) to go after 200k's in his legs, sorry but I'm not buying it, no matter how unorganized the chase was.

Horner drinking a youth elixir and doing a TT of his life at the ripe age of 39 yesterday made me really skeptical, today made me even more.

Looks like absolutely nothing has changed doping wise in cycling.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
How do you know? Do you have anything to prove it or just speculation?

I agree. So Canc opens up a two and a half minute lead and holds it and that evidence of doping? How many riders could chase him down anyway? AC? A few others maybe?

His attack was superbly timed. I'm tired of the "we know this guy is doping" crowd without any evidence at all.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
Probably because of the way he has been riding recently?
Climbing better than ever, dropping Boonen at Flanders I could somewhat understand, but bombarding in a TT mode in to a headwind with 50k's(!) to go after 200k's in his legs, sorry but I'm not buying it, no matter how unorganized the chase was.

Horner drinking a youth elixir and doing a TT of his life at the ripe age of 39 yesterday made me really skeptical, today made me even more.
Looks like absolutely nothing has changed doping wise in cycling.

horner is 38. so you're saying horner is doping and valverde isn't :eek:?

ed rader

Escarabajo said:
How do you know? Do you have anything to prove it or just speculation?
What is there to prove? New performance enhancing methods will always be ahead of test methodology, by definition. They can't test for something they don't know about yet.

So the real trick is to keep the methods "under wraps" for as long as possible.

I have no proof anyone dopes, and I have not proof they don'tt, but:

Given how much distance Cancellara got before Boonen made it to the front and started the chase, it was impressive that there were only some 19 seconds after first pave. This means Boonen rode as fast as Cancellara those ~5km. Thereafter, Cancellara rode hard the whole way. Behind there was no proper chase. When Flecha finally attacked (with Huvshovd half-helping), the gap stayed around 3 min, so at that point Flecha rode as fast as Cancellara.

Cancellara rode 47km against individuals - not against an organized chase, and he gained 3 minutes - mostly at the times where they were arguing behind. That seems normal for a TT-expert.

I read some interresting comments from Roger de Vlaeminck.

http://www.feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=262&id=276&id_nyhed=25163

According to Vlaeminck, they only rode 38km/h the last hour. "it wasn't Cancellara who rode too fast, the others rode too slow". And "Cancellara could not have beat me, because he was tired on the velodrome, and I were never tired".

hmronnow said:
When Flecha finally attacked (with Huvshovd half-helping), the gap stayed around 3 min, so at that point Flecha rode as fast as Cancellara.

By the time Flecha gave chase Cancellara had the race in the bag. He eased off. He was no longer using an extreme aero position like he was during the first 30K

hmronnow said:
I read some interresting comments from Roger de Vlaeminck.

http://www.feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=262&id=276&id_nyhed=25163

According to Vlaeminck, they only rode 38km/h the last hour. "it wasn't Cancellara who rode too fast, the others rode too slow". And "Cancellara could not have beat me, because he was tired on the velodrome, and I were never tired".

Zomegnan's quote about old dudes and shorter legs but longer tongues seems appropriate here.

richwagmn said:
I agree. So Canc opens up a two and a half minute lead and holds it and that evidence of doping? How many riders could chase him down anyway? AC? A few others maybe?

His attack was superbly timed. I'm tired of the "we know this guy is doping" crowd without any evidence at all.

What I'm tired of is all the guys who when pushed will admit that they think they all (or very nearly all) dope, going on and on after a great performance (Canc at Roubaix and Horner at Pais Vasco) about how doped the winner had to be. Well no fricken' duh, let's shut up and enjoy the spectacle. Of course the winner was doping he'd have been 20 minutes off the back otherwise.
I say congratulate the winners and lets go back to campaigning for a clean(er) sport on monday.

BroDeal said:
By the time Flecha gave chase Cancellara had the race in the bag. He eased off. He was no longer using an extreme aero position like he was during the first 30K

The Zomegnan's quote about old dudes and shorter legs but longer tongues seems appropriate here.

Nice to see even the absolute idols can be afflicted by "the older I get the faster I was" disease.:D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hmronnow said:

The are neck and neck in the style department

ericv-ericv.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cecchini or whoever his doc is now could be using something cutting edge but it looked like contract racing to me. Saxo needs a new sponsor, or Cancellara could be negotiating with a new team next year. Not the first time we've seen someone in that situation overdo it.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I guess I'm wondering where the thread on Leukmans is. Dude is a known doper, and has been awfully powerful of late.

Him and Hoogerland, man -- those Vacansoleil boys are up to their necks in it.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
Ridicolous to claim Cancellara attacked while TB was eating/drinking. Check it out for youself in the video. Tom had finished eating/drinking and was relaxing behind Fabü, before the two FDJ/BBOX riders attacked and Cance countered their move only to realise that for once, nobody was sucking his wheel, so he put down the accelerator and the rest is history.

Agree ........ juiced or not juiced .:eek:.... great ride, great to watch .... and clearly the " Train had left the station and Boonen was still on the platform " Boonens fault and unlike SAXO who drove for a while (Ogrady was spent)... quickstep where found wanting.:confused:

Regarding Flecha's clap at the end: I just assumed, especially since he went over immediately after and gave him a huge hug, that he was clapping to salute Cancellara. They're buddies and former teammates, and it was clear Flecha was real happy for him to win.

BroDeal said:
Zomegnan's quote about old dudes and shorter legs but longer tongues seems appropriate here.

Roger de Vlaeminck

Milan-Sanremo 1973, 1978, 1979
Ronde van Vlaanderen 1977
Paris-Roubaix 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977
Liège-Bastogne-Liège 1970
Giro di Lombardia 1974, 1976
Cyclo-cross World Championships 1975
Tour de Suisse 1975 (including six stage wins)
Tour de France (stage win) 1970
Giro d'Italia
points classification: 1972, 1974, 1975
22 stage wins between 1972 and 1979
Vuelta a España (stage win) 1984
Tirreno-Adriatico (Overall) 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
Omloop Het Volk 1969, 1979
La Flèche Wallonne 1971
Züri-Metzgete 1975
Paris-Brussels 1981
Belgian National Road Race Champion 1969, 1981
Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne 1970, 1971
E3 Prijs Vlaanderen 1971
Milano-Torino 1972, 1974
Coppa Agostoni 1975, 1976
Giro del Veneto 1974
Druivenkoers Overijse 1970, 1972, 1974, 1978
Grote Scheldeprijs 1970

Dunno, maybe old Roger HAS earned the right to comment at least on winning Paris-Roubaix (and the Ronde/Roubaix double).

Not exactly a bad classics rider...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Milan-Sanremo 1973, 1978, 1979
Ronde van Vlaanderen 1977
Paris-Roubaix 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977
Liège-Bastogne-Liège 1970
Giro di Lombardia 1974, 1976
Cyclo-cross World Championships 1975
Tour de Suisse 1975 (including six stage wins)
Tour de France (stage win) 1970
Giro d'Italia
points classification: 1972, 1974, 1975
22 stage wins between 1972 and 1979
Vuelta a España (stage win) 1984
Tirreno-Adriatico (Overall) 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
Omloop Het Volk 1969, 1979
La Flèche Wallonne 1971
Züri-Metzgete 1975
Paris-Brussels 1981
Belgian National Road Race Champion 1969, 1981
Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne 1970, 1971
E3 Prijs Vlaanderen 1971
Milano-Torino 1972, 1974
Coppa Agostoni 1975, 1976
Giro del Veneto 1974
Druivenkoers Overijse 1970, 1972, 1974, 1978
Grote Scheldeprijs 1970
Dunno, maybe old Roger HAS earned the right to comment at least on winning Paris-Roubaix (and the Ronde/Roubaix double).

MacRoadie
View Public Profile
Send a private message to MacRoadie
Find all posts by MacRoadie
Add MacRoadie to Your Contacts
#95 Report Post
Unread Today, 21:35
The Smack talkers in these forums should check out the palmeres of Sercu, DeVlaemink,Merckx.

Style, class and effectivness .

MacRoadie said:
Roger de Vlaeminck

The scariest part is that he won most of those races at the same time as Merckx! After Eddy he is surely the greatest classics rider ever. He won at least one MONUMENT every year from 1972 to 1979!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara is not more or less loaded than the others. And cycling not more or less dirty than other sports.

As they're all full, on a relative basis, this should level the playfield.

This is nonsense.

Just like there are different levels of rider, there are different levels of doping programs. Why did Lance pay Ferrari extra not to work with anyone else?

The very best doctors are few and far between, and can only work with a certain amount of riders - and then politics and money rule.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
Tom T. said:
Somebody suggested starting a thread here. Cance has just taken a minute out of Boonen, Pippo, Hushovd, Hammond, Hoste, Flecha and other in about 10 km. I don't believe it for a second. I am just disgusted at this exploit, no way he isn't on an advanced "program" of some sort. I'm almost tempted to stop watching.

Here's a tissue for your issue, while you wait for the whaambulance.

TRENDING THREADS