• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara's Dangerous neutralisation...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
What is it with this guy, neutralising a stage of the TdF, who does he think he is to make choices like this and ruin a stage for the fans and other riders. Downright dangerous and he needs to cop on..he's a danger to other riders....

ps i think he did it cause the battery in his bike died...:rolleyes:

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
to the OP:

i wouldn't be so drastic... it turned out to be a damn dangerous stage. and on the other hand, even if Cancellara initiated the protest, there didn't seem to be much complaining in the peloton... i mean one would have expected for the sprinters do their thing regardless of the seniors decision. they didn't so i assume that this was the general feeling towards the organizers.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
metaCYCLE said:
to the OP:

i wouldn't be so drastic... it turned out to be a damn dangerous stage. and on the other hand, even if Cancellara initiated the protest, there didn't seem to be much complaining in the peloton... i mean one would have expected for the sprinters do their thing regardless of the seniors decision. they didn't so i assume that this was the general feeling towards the organizers.

i just wish cav would have still been there, to see him come flying out of a pack going 20kph for second place and getting dirty looks would have been priceless.:D

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
Thee_chisa said:
i just wish cav would have still been there, to see him come flying out of a pack going 20kph for second place and getting dirty looks would have been priceless.:D

i'd actually pay for that!:D:D:D

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
If you didn't notice, Cav was not in a position to do such a thing and I don't think it had anything to do with the neutralization of the sprint.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
What is it with this guy, neutralising a stage of the TdF, who does he think he is to make choices like this and ruin a stage for the fans and other riders. Downright dangerous and he needs to cop on..he's a danger to other riders....

the yellow jersey.

ed rader

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

There have been versions of this in many Tours and we'll have something new to talk about tomorrow. By the way; has it escaped everyone's attention that he gave up the YELLOW JERSEY to be a good team player to the Schleck's? Name any other rider of Cancellara's stature that has done that.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
9000ft said:
If you didn't notice, Cav was not in a position to do such a thing and I don't think it had anything to do with the neutralization of the sprint.

:rolleyes: read my post properly, please, i know he wasn't there, that's why i said "i just wish cav would have still been there";)

Oldman said:
There have been versions of this in many Tours and we'll have something new to talk about tomorrow. By the way; has it escaped everyone's attention that he gave up the YELLOW JERSEY to be a good team player to the Schleck's? Name any other rider of Cancellara's stature that has done that.
Not like he had a choice. He didn't fall back to their group either, did he?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
It was a crap move by Saxo...gotta wonder, if THEIR guys hadn't been caught up, would Fabian had made such a move?

I hope these guys shave ALL their parts in the mornings...not just their legs.;)

Everyone is getting soft...they are supposed to be the CONVICTS of the road...rain, snow, whatever, they are professionals and they should have kept on trucking.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Old School said:
It was a crap move by Saxo...gotta wonder, if THEIR guys hadn't been caught up, would Fabian had made such a move?

I hope these guys shave ALL their parts in the mornings...not just their legs.;)

Everyone is getting soft...they are supposed to be the CONVICTS of the road...rain, snow, whatever, they are professionals and they should have kept on trucking.

Firstly I acknowledge that these guys are not hard men like yourself, who I'm sure would have carried on charging with two broken legs:rolleyes:

Actually it was a great move by Saxo. Fabian gallantly sacrificed his yellow jersey for the good of the team. In gaining tacit agreement from the other riders in the front group to wait he suceeded in allowing his team leaders to lose no time.

I am not sure why others are whining about FC's actions. If other teams had alternate views there was nothing to stop them from ignoring him and carrying on racing. As Chris Horner has already stated, there was an unspoken decision made by the riders to take the action they did.

Also their guys DID get caught up, they just weren't as far back as the Saxo guys but all of the main GC contenders benefited from Fabian wanting to wait.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Firstly I acknowledge that these guys are not hard men like yourself, who I'm sure would have carried on charging with two broken legs:rolleyes:

Actually it was a great move by Saxo. Fabian gallantly sacrificed his yellow jersey for the good of the team. In gaining tacit agreement from the other riders in the front group to wait he suceeded in allowing his team leaders to lose no time.

I am not sure why others are whining about FC's actions. If other teams had alternate views there was nothing to stop them from ignoring him and carrying on racing. As Chris Horner has already stated, there was an unspoken decision made by the riders to take the action they did.

Also their guys DID get caught up, they just weren't as far back as the Saxo guys but all of the main GC contenders benefited from Fabian wanting to wait.

Good post.

Yeah, this is what I don't understand. The criticism of these guys as wimps. Andy Schleck was messed up bad, in a daze, and then you see him hammering away trying to get back. How can you not be impressed by that.

Farrar riding to the finish with a broken elbow. They are badasses no doubt.

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Who is he? He's wearing the yellow jersey. He gave up the jersey in a very eloquent gesture of sportsmanship, that's who he is! It wasn't only his team that got back on but a lot of other GC contenders.

When a stage is this dangerous someone needs to send a message to the Tour organizers and the other people who are supposed to be protecting the riders.

I didn't see one fan fall/crash and lose a pound of flesh and if all they come for is to see riders get hurt than this sport is in way far more trouble than the problems of doping.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
smittyjs said:
Who is he? He's wearing the yellow jersey. He gave up the jersey in a very eloquent gesture of sportsmanship, that's who he is! It wasn't only his team that got back on but a lot of other GC contenders.

When a stage is this dangerous someone needs to send a message to the Tour organizers and the other people who are supposed to be protecting the riders.

I didn't see one fan fall/crash and lose a pound of flesh and if all they come for is to see riders get hurt than this sport is in way far more trouble than the problems of doping.

Burn cycling to the ground!! Burn it down!!!!
Angry_Mob_by_Acwraith.jpg

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Crazy Cyclist said:
Whilst I hate the unfairness of crashes this decision sets a dangerous precident.

What happens if, say, Contador gets held up in a crash tomorrow?

that's why having cobbles during the tour is stupid.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

actually i agree 100% with you. :eek:

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Many of the riders and teams failed to prepare adequately for the course today. Slick downhills, rain, etc. requires wider tires and lower pressures. I bet they were all on 21 mm tubies pumped up past 120 psi. Stupid.

These guys can ride. Too bad we missed a good race today.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Neutralisation of stage 2

I remember that nobody waited after the crash in, I think 1999, when Alex Zuelle and others crashed on a greasy causeway. This causeway is covered by the sea at high tide.

michaeld said:
Many of the riders and teams failed to prepare adequately for the course today. Slick downhills, rain, etc. requires wider tires and lower pressures. I bet they were all on 21 mm tubies pumped up past 120 psi. Stupid.

"Francesco Gavazzi crashed out of the breakaway on the Stockeu. A TV motorcycle then crashed while avoiding hitting Gavazzi, and the bike spilled oil on the road. The oil had time to run down the hill by the time the peloton came through a few minutes later"

How do you prepare for that? The race organizers SHOULD have neutralized the race; they do in NASCAR, why not cycling. Sixty cyclists crashed; Gelsink (broke a bone in his r arm),VdV is out....:mad:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JTPato said:
I remember that nobody waited after the crash in, I think 1999, when Alex Zuelle and others crashed on a greasy causeway. This causeway is covered by the sea at high tide.

Not only did they not wait; they took the opportunity to attack and diminish the GC contendors. "They" included "that certain mr. lance armstrong". This time there was enough support from enough teams that couldn't account for critical teammates that the riders pushed the Reset button. Like it or not a single rider did not alter the stage. Fabian as the rider giving up his Yellow Jersey was the logical mouthpiece and, yes, it served his team. He had another choice and that would be to go on the offensive and increase his GC lead. He appeared to be at the front of the small group that had escaped the crash and could easily have caught Chavenel. He'd have fewer friends in the peloton.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
thread=stupid easy for couch tough guys to make assumptions and have opinions about race tactics and rider safety i wonder how many actually race or have raced who have these opinions.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
michaeld said:

right on 25's and 100 psi everything would have been perfect. wtf?

TRENDING THREADS