• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cancellara's risky bet - focus on LBL, Lombardia...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
stay with the truth and the facts and don't turn my words around to create a lie... are you a journalist? :D

says also again a lot about you.

If you prefer Gilbert to win, that's fair and your right, no worries, everybody shall want his favourite to win. I like Gilbert's way to ride and attack. But hoping that somebody fails at something and enjoying it, that's entirely different, has no class and is pretty poor...

xkcd22.png

I would enjoy the fact that Gilbert wins, not the fact that Canc loses ;)

I never said I enjoy to see Cancellara lose though :) People know here I'm a (big) Gilbert fan, so most will know what I meant.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I would enjoy the fact that Gilbert wins, not the fact that Canc loses ;)

I never said I enjoy to see Cancellara lose though :) People know here I'm a (big) Gilbert fan, so most will know what I meant.

ok, now I can go to bed in peace! :)
yeah, they both rock, unfortunately, only one of them can win...

I think is good that Cance is seeking new challenges & perhaps begin to aim for different races than the Cobbles Classics & ITT. He's a very unique rider whose physical qualities can take him ever farther if he's willing to shape it for more challenging races. I'd love to see him at least once in his career to go for a Paris-Nice or Dauphine with the lowest weight ever attainable and see what he's capable of....

NickBVK said:
I understand him wanting the Monuments etc but I really don't think he'll be able to match some of the guys like Vino, Evans, Gilbert etc.

They can keep doing those accelerations, especially up hills - leaving Canc behind.

This, unfortunately.

I'm very upset. Spartacus vs. Boonen on the stones is worth three LBLs. I have never actually jumped up and down screaming in front of a TV before. It happened several times during Flanders.

On the plus side, who in the PR field can now ride away from and sustain a ridiculous gap over the other favorites? (Pro-tip: it's not Pippo. ;))

EDIT: "Jumped up and down screaming" should read "jumped up and down shouting." Say what you will, I *loved* that race.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
79kg is still a lot for a rider who wants to do well in the hilly races

Canc is not your average rider though...
Weight is really relative for different riders/builds. I can garauntee you that 79kg is a lot lighter relatively speaking for Canc than it is for A Shleck or Evans. He may not be as light as them but being lighter will still improve his performance on the climbs.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara isn't focussing on Liège, he is skipping PR & RVV because he's fearing Boonen's wrath after Tom's defeat this year. :p

Honestly, Cancellara is an example of a true sportsman who sets new goals every year, searching for his own physical limits. But I don't think he'll pull this one off.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, he was strong (but not strong enough) in hilly Mendrisio. Why can't he be competitive in hilly LBL? It's really hard objective, it's maybe a bit easier to attack uphill when Boonen is against you (Ronde 2010), but harder when it's S.Sanchez, Evans or Gilbert.
But look at this in different light: how many of current riders have some theoretical chances to accomplish the Grand Slam of cycling classics? I see only Cancellara and maybe Gilbert…

Kvinto said:
Well, he was strong (but not strong enough) in hilly Mendrisio. Why can't he be competitive in hilly LBL? It's really hard objective, it's maybe a bit easier to attack uphill when Boonen is against you (Ronde 2010), but harder when it's S.Sanchez, Evans or Gilbert.
But look at this in different light: how many of current riders have some theoretical chances to accomplish the Grand Slam of cycling classics? I see only Cancellara and maybe Gilbert…

I think Cancellara can do it. He lost Mendrisio by showing off how strong he was. With a more conservative approach he could have won.

I will be pulling for my man Cunego to win both races.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think Cancellara can do it. He lost Mendrisio by showing off how strong he was. With a more conservative approach he could have won.

Couldn't agree more! He showed too many times in the earlier moments of the race that he is in great shape.

However, it seems he has not learned from the defeat in Mendrisio that he should not always loudly announce his targets. He could have easily won the worlds in Mendrisio, had he not numerously stated that he is targeting the double, that he is in shape to win, etc. etc. He was so closely marked, particularly by the Spaniards, that he did not have any chance.

Will also be interesting to see whether he can keep up with getting older as he turns 30 next year...

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I also think he can. As for Cunego, I think he has to improve, because his abilities were not that good this year...

BroDeal said:

I also think Cancellara could manage it, but I emphasise the verb "manage". So many factors though, and so many other equal or more viable candidates.

I would like to see something from Cunego after a rather less than exciting 2010.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
if LBL is a serious target, why on earth would you sign for a team with the Schleck brothers on it? he won't even be undisputed team captain.

i applaud him for his ambition going for the full set of monuments though.

galaxy1 said:
if LBL is a serious target, why on earth would you sign for a team with the Schleck brothers on it? he won't even be undisputed team captain.

i applaud him for his ambition going for the full set of monuments though.

I think others have said it, but the Schlecks will probably just go all out for the Tour this year. That's the most reasonable explanation for the situation you mention, otherwise yes, you're right, it is a bit odd.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've thought about Cancellaras chances in LBL for a bit. I don't think his chances are very good. He is not going to win LBL. I don't see where he would be able to go solo nor can I see him finish faster then the likes of Gilbert, Cunego, Sanchez and others

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
do it like Vino (and Contador): get away on the false flat, protected by a strong Frank & Andy duo to discurage any chasing...
I think he has more change with the Schlecks than without or against them.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'd love to see someone beating Gilbert in Liege next year, and the year after, and after. It will help Belgians understand every year Dutch guys had after LBL with Boogerd

That wouldn't matter, he'd win other classics :p

EDIT: I think Cance can pull it of. He was ridiculously strong at Mendrisio. And he could do the same like Vino and Kolobnev this year, attack on a piece of false flat

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He could, but I just don't see him do it on his very first try.

If he's really serious about this though then he'll most likely win all the monuments when his career is over. That descend on Lombardia where Gilbert attacked can do wonders for him. I reckon Cancellara is a pretty good descender.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He could, but I just don't see him do it on his very first try.

If he's really serious about this though then he'll most likely win all the monuments when his career is over. That descend on Lombardia where Gilbert attacked can do wonders for him. I reckon Cancellara is a pretty good descender.
I'm not so sure that the Sormano descent would suit Cancellara. It's not a fast sweeping road like the ones in the Tour at all. There isn't any real place to use his power at all, it's more of a technical descent that favours an opportunist attack like Gilbert's. Cancellara wouldn't have any more advantage than Gilbert did this year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
I'm not so sure that the Sormano descent would suit Cancellara. It's not a fast sweeping road like the ones in the Tour at all. There isn't any real place to use his power at all, it's more of a technical descent that favours an opportunist attack like Gilbert's. Cancellara wouldn't have any more advantage than Gilbert did this year.

Well, besides power Cancellara also has a lot of technical skills. So that's why it could suit him(again, I have almost never seen Cancellara descend, so this is just me assuming)

I never said he would've gotten a bigger advantage than Gilbert, but Gilbert has already won it twice.

TRENDING THREADS