• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carbon fiber frame damage: Repair or Replace?

Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
Down tube cracked on 3/4 sides on my roadie trying to avoid hitting a deer. I love my bike and don't want to see it in a landfill. I'm leaning towards repair, but any thoughts from experience is appreciated!

Down tube cracked on 3/4 sides on my roadie trying to avoid hitting a deer. I love my bike and don't want to see it in a landfill. I'm leaning towards repair, but any thoughts from experience is appreciated!
Had a broken drive side chain stay break on a Cervelo R5. Calfee repaired it beautifully. If you are in the US you can try him.
I also had a Zipp disc wheel badly damaged in shipping. I had local gut that repair carbon parts on race cars fix. It didn't look good put it was straight and stiff.

Oct 28, 2021
Visit site
Had a broken drive side chain stay break on a Cervelo R5. Calfee repaired it beautifully. If you are in the US you can try him.
I also had a Zipp disc wheel badly damaged in shipping. I had local gut that repair carbon parts on race cars fix. It didn't look good put it was straight and stiff.
Hey VeganRob, Thanks for the reply. I researched quite a bit and had 4 companies on my radar. But I took it down to Calfee this week and I'm glad I chose them. The staff there are very professional and friendly. They took the time to show us some of their bamboo work! So cool. I'm confident they will do a good job. :0) ~Cheers

Reactions: froze
Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Hey there! Oh man, dealing with carbon frame damage can be a real bummer. I had a similar issue last summer when my bike took a spill. From what I've learned, it's essential to inspect the damage thoroughly. Small scratches or cosmetic stuff might be fine, but if it's a structural issue, you should definitely play it safe and get it looked at by a pro. I've heard of some folks trying DIY repairs with mixed results, but honestly, I wouldn't risk it with a pricey carbon frame.

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Hey there, I totally get how you feel about not wanting to toss it in a landfill. Here are some things to consider:
How bad is the crack? If it's super gnarly and looks dangerous, it might not be worth fixing.

What's your bike made of? Aluminum and steel frames are usually easier to repair than carbon fiber ones.

Repairs can cost a pretty penny, so think about whether it's worth it compared to getting a new bike.

Take it to a bike shop or frame repair expert to check it out properly. They'll give you the lowdown on whether it's fixable and safe.

Safety is key, so don't ride it until you're 100% sure it's fixed right.

If you love the bike and it's got sentimental value, that's a good reason to consider fixing it up. It's your call in the end.

Reactions: Cookster15
This hasn't happened to me but it does worry me. Hopefully it is fixable. My current road bike was purchased in 2016 and I know the frame won't last forever. The price of top end road bikes has exploded since then. Even if we have the spare cash, we also need to justify to our partners.