• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Cardiac Anomalies - is something going on or is this normal?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Cardiac Anomalies - is something going on or is this nor

A good move from British Cycling. It's always seemed a bit of an oversight to only include the Electrocardiogram same as UCI and not go the whole hog with Echo Doppler and Echocardiogram too. It needs to be done by all NGBs really and UCI.

samhocking said:
A good move from British Cycling. It's always seemed a bit of an oversight to only include the Electrocardiogram same as UCI and not go the whole hog with Echo Doppler and Echocardiogram too. It needs to be done by all NGBs really and UCI.
It's good PR from BC. But the credit is all due to Liverpool John Moores. Let's see what BC does when that funding runs out ...

fmk_RoI said:
samhocking said:
It's good PR from BC. But the credit is all due to Liverpool John Moores. Let's see what BC does when that funding runs out ...
It's really due to John Somauroo, he's one of the leading researchers in this area in the world. Different universities are better or worse at supporting their researchers, but most only play a small role in securing funding for projects like this, which probably comes through the BHF or Cardiac Risk in the Young (who have funded some of his previous work).

Aug 20, 2016
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
King Boonen said:
This thread started with such good intentions...
This thread started with the intention of trying to add perspective to a complicated issue. Fifteen months in, has this thread achieved anything? Consider the reality.

......., nine months through 2018 and I don't think there's been a single cardiac case at WT level, which I don't think has happened since 2013.
There was one. Michael Goolerts at Paris Roubaix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Goolaerts

King Boonen said:
It's really due to John Somauroo, he's one of the leading researchers in this area in the world. Different universities are better or worse at supporting their researchers, but most only play a small role in securing funding for projects like this, which probably comes through the BHF or Cardiac Risk in the Young (who have funded some of his previous work).
Good point, well made.

My understanding from the newsletter is British Cycling have added this as policy, it's not just a research collaboration. One of my friends is a BC coach i'll see if he knows if BC are funding it or not too.

fmk_RoI said:
Norks74 said:
There was one. Michael Goolerts at Paris Roubaix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Goolaerts
Oh. My. God.

Seriously.

Vérandas Willems–Crelan is a pro-conti team. Which is not WT.
WT is ambiguous, it can refer to a level of team (WorldTeam) or of event (World Tour): it was you who introduced the ambiguity without clarification. Paris-Roubaix is undoubtedly WT according to the second meaning, and you owe Norks74 an apology for your extreme rudeness.

Armchair cyclist said:
fmk_RoI said:
Norks74 said:
Oh. My. God.

Seriously.

WT is ambiguous, it can refer to a level of team (WorldTeam) or of event (World Tour): it was you who introduced the ambiguity without clarification. Paris-Roubaix is undoubtedly WT according to the second meaning, and you owe Norks74 an apology for your extreme rudeness.
Read the thread before offering lectures.

If he died in his bed would be it be classed as a memory foam mattress level event?

What a stupid comment: your comment was unclear, N74 interpreted it in a different way than you intended, and you leapt down his throat. Behave.

Your post that he was quoting used the term World Tour, not WorldTeam.

Goolaerts rode World Tour races, he was a World Tour rider.

Yes. Seriously.

No-one is claiming he was a WorldTeam rider: you seem to be either unaware of, or unwilling to acknowledge, the difference.

But unless you are willing to apologise for the arrogance with which you have pursued your error, there is no sense in deflecting the thread further, and we will learn something about you.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Yes. Seriously.

No-one is claiming he was a WorldTeam rider: you seem to be either unaware of, or unwilling to acknowledge, the difference.

But unless you are willing to apologise for the arrogance with which you have pursued your error, there is no sense in deflecting the thread further, and we will learn something about you.
If you have anything substantive to add to the topic, please do. Otherwise, troll someone else. I've already learned more than I need to know about you.

fmk_RoI said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Yes. Seriously.

If you have anything substantive to add to the topic, please do. Otherwise, troll someone else. I've already learned more than I need to know about you.
Except that you haven't learned much of anything, it's that each individual heart patient is very different, and thusly, there is no formula.

Tricycle Rider said:
Except that you haven't learned much of anything, it's that each individual heart patient is very different, and thusly, there is no formula.
I've really got no idea where you got the idea there's a formula involved. Maybe once more you're just piling in without reading?

fmk_RoI said:
Tricycle Rider said:
I've really got no idea where you got the idea there's a formula involved. Maybe once more you're just piling in without reading?
Is this some kind of a reddit sub poster that you're confusing me with?

I'm not looking for karma, are you?

Reactions: fmk_RoI
Freeman on British Cycling's lack of support for cardiac screening beyond Podium and Academy athletes:
Personally, I wanted to extend the screening to any rider on a British Cycling programme aged fourteen and above, but despite proposing it in-house in early 2016 it was not picked up on as preparations for Rio 2016 were key at that time.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Freeman on British Cycling's lack of support for cardiac screening beyond Podium and Academy athletes:
Personally, I wanted to extend the screening to any rider on a British Cycling programme aged fourteen and above, but despite proposing it in-house in early 2016 it was not picked up on as preparations for Rio 2016 were key at that time.
In 2017 he proposed it again, following Charlie Craig's death:
Immediately after his death I went to management, knowing that it was time to act. But I was told that the problems caused by Jiffygate meant that the funding of the WPP programme was under threat. I should get on and do my job with the podium riders.

And February 2018, coroner Chris Moris on Craig's death:
It is of residual concern that British Cycling still does not routinely undertake medical evaluation or screening prior to accepting individuals on to their junior training programme. All sports have a role to play in reducing the number of young deaths.

Aug 20, 2016

fmk_RoI said:
Norks74 said:
Oh. My. God.

Seriously.

fmk_RoI. Easy now. I was merely trying to remind you that the incident occurred during 2018 at a World Tour race, which you evidently know as it's mentioned in your initial post. I took WT in the post I replied to to mean World Tour level racing rather than specifically, a World Tour team.

As with regards to the topic at large, it's my opinion that it is normal and to be expected. And that's before factoring in any doping whatsoever.

It's been quite a while since we had one of these in a WT rider: 37-year-old Belarussian Vasil Kiryienka (currently Sky, ex of Movistar and Tinkoff) sidelined with cardiac anomaly (no details on type). Sky doc Iñigo Sarriegui:
“All of our riders have a cardiac screening every year – and in Kiry’s screening we found an anomaly that required further investigation. Following tests, Kiry is currently undergoing treatment and he will remain sidelined until further notice.”
Annoyingly, Sky have only revealed this after questions were aksed about Kiryienka's abscence from races.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
masking_agent The Clinic 28

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS