• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cardiac Anomalies - is something going on or is this normal?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One of the reasons this list of cardiac cases exists is to add perspective whenever one of these cases arises. We have a tendency to remember selectively other cases and that can lead us to thinking there's more of this about than there really is.

But one of the problems with a list like this is the completeness illusion: you see a list, you think it lists all the relevant data. But, in reality, it doesn't. Case in point: Romain Sicard (33, Total Direct Énergie), who has thrown in the towel on his career having first been diagnosed with an undisclosed cardiac condition three years ago and having been off the bike since the beginning of February this year.

TDÉ boss Jean-René Bernaudeau credited the FFC's health checks - introduced around the time of the Festina affaire - in identifying Sicard's condition:
"Today, the health monitoring of our riders is working. The exams are even more extensive than before. This allows them to have guarantees on the practice of their sport. The FFC’s medical check-up revealed a cardiac pathology in Romain that was incompatible with the pursuit of his activity as a professional cyclist."

What makes me - a medical layman - wonder is why do they detect these things in riders 30+?
I get that there are many normal people living with certain heart conditions that only get detected in a pro athlete's check-up or when pushed to the limit, but are there that many heart conditions that only evolve with time?

What makes me - a medical layman - wonder is why do they detect these things in riders 30+?
I get that there are many normal people living with certain heart conditions that only get detected in a pro athlete's check-up or when pushed to the limit, but are there that many heart conditions that only evolve with time?

Because these things don't happen overnight. They are the result of long term stress to the heart. The same with mental issues in sports where there are players are repeatedly hit on the head. No-one got dementia in their 20s from one whack on the head.

The team/hospital have reported his overnight cardio tests came back all clear, so that could probably rule out both infection and any inherent heart condition causing yesterdays events. Could well just be just random event that happens sometimes in sports. The French sports media already jumping straight to the side effects of Tizanidine found in the teams possession last year because someone read the side-effects of heart failure and seizure. Amazing investigative journalism!

Colbrelli victime d’un produit suspect ? (sports.fr)

Which is what French sports media generally do. Nobody else was e.g. writing thousands of lines and creating TV shows about Varjas and motor doping without any evidence only for their own police to conclude it was all made up by Varjas & LeMond lol!
La Gazzetta also jumped down the whole motor doping rabbit hole, so it's not just them. That Varjas guy always screamed conman to me, if he actually had exclusive, big money deals with some teams he'd keep his mouth shut instead of using the media and the whole speculations to promote his motors...

The team/hospital have reported his overnight cardio tests came back all clear, so that could probably rule out both infection and any inherent heart condition causing yesterdays events. Could well just be just random event that happens sometimes in sports. The French sports media already jumping straight to the side effects of Tizanidine found in the teams possession last year because someone read the side-effects of heart failure and seizure. Amazing investigative journalism!

If you read the whole article, you will see that it is not nearly as outrageous as what you write : "The French sports media already jumping straight to the side effects of Tizanidine found in the teams possession last year because someone read the side-effects of heart failure and seizure."

Sounds like they’re just throwing darts at the wall hoping one sticks.

that’s good they haven’t found any heart conditions which gets rid of the the heart failure theory, which is a chronic condition anyways.

While not the same, I had gotten pericarditis so the heart sack became inflamed and infected. I wasn’t sick before hand and all the results came back negative so the doctors didn’t know why or how I got.

If he actually got defibrillated then his heart was beating too fast from v fib or pulsless v tach. Which if we want to go the clinic route he might have been prescribed a bronchodilator (albuteral/salbutamol, clenbuterol, salmeterol) for the bronchitis to help breathe easier from the inflammation so to open the airway. All of those increase the heart rate and then add in the exercise.

Sounds like they’re just throwing darts at the wall hoping one sticks.

that’s good they haven’t found any heart conditions which gets rid of the the heart failure theory, which is a chronic condition anyways.

While not the same, I had gotten pericarditis so the heart sack became inflamed and infected. I wasn’t sick before hand and all the results came back negative so the doctors didn’t know why or how I got.

If he actually got defibrillated then his heart was beating too fast from v fib or pulsless v tach. Which if we want to go the clinic route he might have been prescribed a bronchodilator (albuteral/salbutamol, clenbuterol, salmeterol) for the bronchitis to help breathe easier from the inflammation so to open the airway. All of those increase the heart rate and then add in the exercise.
The Dr first at the scene treating him said he had seizures 100m after crossing the line, lost consciousness and went into cardiac arrest. He also made the statement that if this happens again without paramedics close to him (training) he'll be dead. This is quite a way from the team and Colbrelli saying they're already planning his return and essentially nothing is wrong with him, but it sounds like he's having the main tests today.

Mar 23, 2022
Visit site
I think lots of riders are going through Tizanidine withdrawl right now. Matthews sick. Simon yates way off the pace. https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/volta-a-catalunya/2022/stage-3 Lots of DNFs. They all got spooked by Colbrelli. Yes it's the first mountain stage so more DNFs expected but these DNFs are some big names. "Italian bronchitis" is rife at the moment. This also suggests to me that these guys might not be doing this on doctors orders. Surely a doctor would wean these guys off the stuff slowly. Interesting times. Could even be a bad batch of tizanidine they all got a hold of.

I think lots of riders are going through Tizanidine withdrawl right now. Matthews sick. Simon yates way off the pace. https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/volta-a-catalunya/2022/stage-3 Lots of DNFs. They all got spooked by Colbrelli. Yes it's the first mountain stage so more DNFs expected but these DNFs are some big names. "Italian bronchitis" is rife at the moment. This also suggests to me that these guys might not be doing this on doctors orders. Surely a doctor would wean these guys off the stuff slowly. Interesting times. Could even be a bad batch of tizanidine they all got a hold of.

Benotti is that you ?

Mar 23, 2022
Visit site
Benotti is that you ?
I'm flattered... I think. Who's Benotti? I just had to make an account after lurking because this is the most convinced I've been of doping.

I also want to add that Rafael Nadal has a "broken rib" or something, I don't follow tennis. This makes the bad batch theory more plausible. And also explains why these guys are going cold turkey and getting withdrawls.

Mar 23, 2022
Visit site
Just noticing more riders underperforming and DNFing. Australians Haig and Porte for example. Tennis player Ashleigh Barty also announcing "shock retirement". Tellingly she's also australian. This is very speculative now but from reading quotes and watching statements/interviews from Barty I'm guessing she's no longer willing to risk her health and has also reached a personal moral crossroads. Though it's an easy decision for her to retire because she's so accomplished.

Reactions: veganrob
Didn't post this at the time as was busy writing something but Tim Decercq's comment is worth bearing in mind:
"At first it was quite horrifying," he said. "'Oh dear, my heart', I thought. Then I dug a little deeper and realised that, all in all, it wasn't that bad. Pericarditis is not a 'real' heart condition – there was no fluid accumulation or scar tissue, my electrocardiogram was completely normal, and an MRI ruled out myocarditis. I don't have to fear any long-term consequences, but still you don't take your heart for granted.

"I tested positive [for COVID-19] slightly symptomatically – I didn't have a fever or anything like that. So, I thought 'it can't do any harm, there is no great danger'. But it turns out you have to be more alert with it than with a normal cold, because the virus likes to 'attach' itself.

"I hear I'm not the only one in the peloton, that there are several riders who are going through more or less the same thing. In my opinion, it's a pity that they don't come out and break the 'taboo' because in essence there is nothing serious going on."
Among the riders who have broken the taboo on this subject are Sarah Gigante who was out over the winter with myopericarditis, and Chloe Hosking who had a time out earlier in the year with pericarditis.

I know it may feel like the link between Covid and potential heart problems for athletes was overstated earlier, but it shouldn't be ignored. As stated in Sporza by the Belgian fed's doctor, Kris Van der Mieren , the risk of myocarditis or pericarditis is real:
“There is danger in both the short and long term. If there is inflammation there, you can get arrhythmias or even heart failure. In the long term, scar tissue can develop, which can lead to heart rhythm disorders or heart failure.”

NB: Just because there may be a link between Covid and myocarditis or pericarditis, it doesn't follow that all cases of these are caused by Covid. They were happening before the lurgi too.

Reactions: veganrob and Ripper
Gigante caught COVID in February 2022 - Her case of myopericarditis was in August/September 2021 - It's always possible that her case could even be linked to her vaccination - In saying that I have no doubt there is a link between COVID and potential health issues.

Who are you referring to, that got hold of a bad batch of tizanidine? Do you think they have a private telegram group where they order drugs together ? Because I don't.

Didn't post this at the time as was busy writing something but Tim Decercq's comment is worth bearing in mind:Among the riders who have broken the taboo on this subject are Sarah Gigante who was out over the winter with myopericarditis, and Chloe Hosking who had a time out earlier in the year with pericarditis.

I know it may feel like the link between Covid and potential heart problems for athletes was overstated earlier, but it shouldn't be ignored. As stated in Sporza by the Belgian fed's doctor, Kris Van der Mieren , the risk of myocarditis or pericarditis is real:

NB: Just because there may be a link between Covid and myocarditis or pericarditis, it doesn't follow that all cases of these are caused by Covid. They were happening before the lurgi too.
I have had "real" heart problems, and while myo/pericarditis are certainly serious conditions, in the vast majority of cases they are relatively inconsequential. One interesting thing is that once you contract them you apparently are more likely to get them again.

Reactions: Pantani_lives

TRENDING THREADS