• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Kotar_Rhakoz

BANNED
Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes it is not about the structure of the organisation but the quality of the people within the structure. Some people might be prepared to do more than others to help riders with their training and in making sure that they are actually training properly.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
veji11 said:
what on earth is that s***t comment ??? Honestly, are you drunk ? Why on earth would AG2R be a bunch of amateurs ??? Their result for the last 2 years, the way they have kept Pozzo growing, have had solid teams on all GTs with good leutenants and dedicated gregarii allowing leaders to achieve good results, all this screams of pathetic amateurism ? Gee.. Some people here.

lol slow down:eek:

You do not call managers who allowed to the rider with great potential to do utter**** for months amateurs? So how do you call them money spenders?:rolleyes:

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
lol slow down:eek:

You do not call managers who allowed to the rider with great potential to do utter**** for months amateurs? So how do you call them money spenders?:rolleyes:

Do you think they "allowed him" to do whatever he wanted ? don't you think they tried to talk to him, get him to tell them what was going on etc ?

Again I am not saying that AG2R didn't mismanage the situation. But to present it like a simple situation f*****d up by an "amateur" staff is desinginuous. This is a compllicated situation, with a team with a fair bit of money invested in a rider they know is uber talented but have a hard time controling. Just firing him might be a big big mistake if he wins monuments and GTs in the future, letting him go ? Why ? Again complicated situation...

I don't see why suddenly those uber pros at OPQS or somewhere elst would have obviously made a better job.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
veji11 said:
what on earth is that s***t comment ??? Honestly, are you drunk ? Why on earth would AG2R be a bunch of amateurs ??? Their result for the last 2 years, the way they have kept Pozzo growing, have had solid teams on all GTs with good leutenants and dedicated gregarii allowing leaders to achieve good results, all this screams of pathetic amateurism ? Gee.. Some people here.

veji11 said:
Do you think they "allowed him" to do whatever he wanted ? don't you think they tried to talk to him, get him to tell them what was going on etc ?

Again I am not saying that AG2R didn't mismanage the situation. But to present it like a simple situation f*****d up by an "amateur" staff is desinginuous. This is a compllicated situation, with a team with a fair bit of money invested in a rider they know is uber talented but have a hard time controling. Just firing him might be a big big mistake if he wins monuments and GTs in the future, letting him go ? Why ? Again complicated situation...

I don't see why suddenly those uber pros at OPQS or somewhere elst would have obviously made a better job.

money and right people.

when you do something profesionaly you have to do it 100%,not only 'they tried to talk with him'...
and obviously they dont do it,so for me they are amateurs (maybe too harsh in your vocab,but thats a problem of english language)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
money and right people.

when you do something profesionaly you have to do it 100%,not only 'they tried to talk with him'...
and obviously they dont do it,so for me they are amateurs (maybe too harsh in your vocab,but thats a problem of english language)

Yeah right, basically when everything goes right you are a pro otherwise.... So are Sky staff amateurs because Porte can't seem to be able to finish a race correctly this year or because Uran couldn't do squat after his Giro last year ?

S*** happens; and sometimes it takes time to sort it out.

Ag2r are the team that only recently started issuing TT bikes to their GC riders to practice on. They are definitely on the "old school" end of the spectrum in the modern peloton in most regards.

They have improved beyond recognition over the last couple of years, but that's been down to much improved signing policy more than a wholesale modernisation of methods. They aren't "amateurs", but they are probably one of the less well equipped teams to deal with babysitting a flakey super talent. Hopefully though they will learn from this year and not let him out of their sight next year.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
the big fault of ag2r is that what has happened was easy to predict.
last year beta did exactly the same, he arrived fat and out of shape at the vuelta. the final part of the season was a disaster.
note that in the final part of the season there are races like emilia, milano torino and lombardia that perfectly fit bananito' s attitude.
also the words in florence were a good chance for beta.
he said that the words were his target, but then he did not train while in colombia.

in the past, every time he went to colombia he came back fat and out of shape.
his bad work ethic was well known since his years with acqua & sapone.
when he won emilia and performed well in lombardia, in his first year as a pro, he was forced by palmiro masciarelli to stay in europe after the giro di italia.
the old moser domestique perfectly realized that the only way to keep the shape beta had at the end of the giro (he was fourth in the colle delle finestre stage won by kyrienka) was to forbid him to go back to colombia and make him race and train under strict control..
note that even that year, he started that giro in bad shape and overweight.
it was his first gt , and when he came from colombia he was very badly prepared.
palmiro was desperate, because he knew beta' s talent and they had to work hard before the giro and in the first two week of the race to bring beta at a decent level.

beta is not quintana or uran, that go to colombia and train very seriously.
team and coach have to know that and behave consequently

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
From reading some of Nico Roche's blogs when he was at AG2R, they always came off as a bit amateurish to be at WT level. Don't know if it was solely due to a lack of funds to hire more coaches and sports scientists, or a tendency to rely on older, more traditional ways of running a team or what. Maybe they have improved by now.

I could see how somebody like Betancur could've been left to his own devices too much and struggled at that team.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Jagartrott said:
AG2R were fantastic at the Tour though.

Betancur may have lost 2-3 kg since the start, I think. About ten to go.

He should stop dropping weight immediately. The ITT is mostly downhill. He might still have a chance to do something.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Betancur's problem is Betancur. I have friends/associates that are large, and they seem happy with life. Maybe he's like them. Not sure. But as an elite cyclist he has to either do better than he is or find a different profession. He's starting to make me regret joking on him.

yespatterns said:
I think Betancur's problem is Betancur. I have friends/associates that are large,

nice euphemism there

damn, maybe it's because of this

large.jpg

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
nice euphemism there

damn, maybe it's because of this

large.jpg

Ah, nah, I'm just saying I know peeps of bigger girth, and they seem happy enough. Carlos, however, seems all kinds of mixed up and (I'd wager) unhappy. Dude just needs to get his head straight. Which may be a huge endeavor.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
the guy looks happy to me. what is better than drinking beers and betting on cocck fights all day long?

Oh I don't know... practically anything that doesn't include random gratuitous animal cruelty just for the lulz.

roundabout said:
189. COLBETANCUR, Carlos Alberto 12 AG2R La Mondiale 4h 54' 57'' + 19' 30''
190. GERGRETSCH, Patrick 15 AG2R La Mondiale 4h 54' 58'' + 19' 31''
192. BLRHUTAROVICH, Yauheni 16 AG2R La Mondiale 4h 55' 14'' + 19' 47''

Wonder who was being paced.

No one, I heard a rumour that Betancur actually set the fastest time up the last climb it's just he stopped for 20mins for beer and tapas at the bottom.

Sorry it's just to easy :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BeagRigh said:
No one, I heard a rumour that Betancur actually set the fastest time up the last climb it's just he stopped for 20mins for beer and tapas at the bottom.

Sorry it's just to easy :rolleyes:
I see your signature,you should be the biggest bananito fan right now:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
proffz said:
the big fault of ag2r is that what has happened was easy to predict.
last year beta did exactly the same,
he arrived fat and out of shape at the vuelta. the final part of the season was a disaster.
note that in the final part of the season there are races like emilia, milano torino and lombardia that perfectly fit bananito' s attitude.
also the words in florence were a good chance for beta.
he said that the words were his target, but then he did not train while in colombia.

in the past, every time he went to colombia he came back fat and out of shape.
his bad work ethic was well known since his years with acqua & sapone.
when he won emilia and performed well in lombardia, in his first year as a pro, he was forced by palmiro masciarelli to stay in europe after the giro di italia.
the old moser domestique perfectly realized that the only way to keep the shape beta had at the end of the giro (he was fourth in the colle delle finestre stage won by kyrienka) was to forbid him to go back to colombia and make him race and train under strict control..
note that even that year, he started that giro in bad shape and overweight.
it was his first gt , and when he came from colombia he was very badly prepared.
palmiro was desperate, because he knew beta' s talent and they had to work hard before the giro and in the first two week of the race to bring beta at a decent level.

beta is not quintana or uran, that go to colombia and train very seriously.
team and coach have to know that and behave consequently

EXATCLY!

that;'s the point