• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Article about him. He keeps being optimistics but the reality is other. I think he is very confused about his priorities as a pro. This could be a lost year.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/c ... estar.html

Carlos-betancur-2015-ascenso-720.jpg

Re:

TMP402 said:
At least he's losing less time than Froome...
Froome can afford it while Betancur can't.He's last win was in Paris-Nice 2014,he really needs some results to put him back on track.He doesn't look he''ll be ready for Giro,they should let him do the TDF as he wants.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
TMP402 said:
Froome can afford it while Betancur can't.He's last win was in Paris-Nice 2014,he really needs some results to put him back on track.He doesn't look he''ll be ready for Giro,they should let him do the TDF as he wants.
And let him get away with what he wants? Looks like a spoiled kid.

BTW, I am in agreement that the best thing for him would be to do the Giro and Tour, but I doubt that the team will reward him like that. Especially now that they have other team leaders and are not dependent on him on Tour results.

Akuryo said:
DBotero said:
TMP402 said:

So rewarding him for his laziness? That'll teach him a lesson. :eek:

Today he arrived at 14:52,he's hopeless for Giro.He stated that the course doesn't suit him,he doesn't want to ride it.He wants to ride TDF,maybe they should let him with the hope he'll show a different motivation,some last chance for him.

They will send him to the Giro because AG2R has nothing to loose there. For the Tour the spots are more difficult and it would be like a reward for him. After that let his contract expire. AG2R cannot wait for his contract to expire. Very interested on who will be the next team to pick him up. They might get him at a bargain and he could be motivated by then.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
They will send him to the Giro because AG2R has nothing to loose there. For the Tour the spots are more difficult and it would be like a reward for him. After that let his contract expire. AG2R cannot wait for his contract to expire. Very interested on who will be the next team to pick him up. They might get him at a bargain and he could be motivated by then.

It feels like he'd be better off moving back to Colombia, and hoping for WT race invitations once in a while until he gets his motivation again.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Article about him. He keeps being optimistics but the reality is other. I think he is very confused about his priorities as a pro. This could be a lost year.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/c ... estar.html

Carlos-betancur-2015-ascenso-720.jpg

Thanks for the link.

And agreed completely- Betancur is full of excuses & full of fat too. very saddened by the way this guy is wasting his talent and this opportunity that might not come back at all.

DBotero said:
Akuryo said:
DBotero said:
TMP402 said:

So rewarding him for his laziness? That'll teach him a lesson. :eek:

Today he arrived at 14:52,he's hopeless for Giro.He stated that the course doesn't suit him,he doesn't want to ride it.He wants to ride TDF,maybe they should let him with the hope he'll show a different motivation,some last chance for him.
Nothing suits him with his current form.

AG2R has a pretty strong team this year. Even if he didn't ride the Giro he'd still have to fight for a spot on the TDF team. Then if he continues like this, and doesn't make the cut, it'd be even worse for his career. He needs to ride a GT to find some form and it'd be too risky to aim only on the TDF.

The guys on Eurosport UK were saying that Betancur was still in the peloton just before the final climb began... I am pretty sure it was someone else... Would be kind of funny if even the television guys see this phantom :D

Banana_Joe said:
The guys on Eurosport UK were saying that Betancur was still in the peloton just before the final climb began... I am pretty sure it was someone else... Would be kind of funny if even the television guys see this phantom :D

Today he even entered the breakaway - from which he will win the stage, obviously! :cool:

Akuryo said:
gmedina said:
wait...did he come with Quintana at Pais Vasco????

No, in the end he lost almost 8 minutes (69th). But today was a step in the right direction. He showed himself and that he wants to work on his form. For now I can live with that.

What are you guys ?? His mother ?? " Didn't he do well to turn up and not give up , bla bla bla"

He has more talent than most and he can't be bothered to use it...If he loses his Ag2R contract he won't get another in World tour ...He deserves a kick up the a**e

HelloDolly said:
Akuryo said:
gmedina said:

No, in the end he lost almost 8 minutes (69th). But today was a step in the right direction. He showed himself and that he wants to work on his form. For now I can live with that.

What are you guys ?? His mother ?? " Didn't he do well to turn up and not give up , bla bla bla"

He has more talent than most and he can't be bothered to use it...If he loses his Ag2R contract he won't get another in World tour ...He deserves a kick up the a**e

Oh no, I agree with you...he needs to get a win somewhere. I'd love to see him alongside Uran, Gaviria and Contreras in QuickStep but I don't want those youngsters to learn those bad habits from him. Maybe Corti has a place for him in Team Colombia?

HelloDolly said:
Akuryo said:
gmedina said:

You can't expect a win after the results he had in recent months. It's a work in progress and finally we see it. He's trying and that is a good thing. A few weeks ago he would finish an hour behind the contenders and now it is down to "only" a few minutes. It's not like he could just flip the switch and win like nothing ever happened.