• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jancouver said:
35th today ... hooray hooray hooray! :D

Its funny how some fans are celebrating his 35th position almost like winning a rainbow jersey :cool:
It must be like that in cycling, the easy sometimes is to win, the difficult and key steps are the importants.

Maybe he dont progress more than that anymore, but it is a big progression from last summer and maybe he could perform this year close to his previous level, maybe even this Giro.

He has been two Vuelta a España riding at the last part of the peloton. This of course is not the same.

I like to follow the progresion of riders from the bottom to the top.

Fat Cat getting into some shape - at least the good one so to speak .............

Even with all this improvement-I doubt he can achieve anything in this Giro, since is required to have a "great form" to pursue a stage win-the least-

Carlos MUST realize that TIME cannot be wasted with his lack of commitment and have this mentality of- "next season" type, well knowing how short a cyclist's career can be if he doesn't live up to his full potential & fully develop his talents.

Re:

hfer07 said:
Fat Cat getting into some shape - at least the good one so to speak .............

Even with all this improvement-I doubt he can achieve anything in this Giro, since is required to have a "great form" to pursue a stage win-the least-

Carlos MUST realize that TIME cannot be wasted with his lack of commitment and have this mentality of- "next season" type, well knowing how short a cyclist's career can be if he doesn't live up to his full potential & fully develop his talents.
If he realized, he wouldn't be in this sorry state

Re: Re:

lenric said:
IndianCyclist said:
lenric said:
Fatancur is riding Giro as a way of preparing himself for le Tour, which makes him smarter than Ullrich, who rode the Tour to prepare... the Tour.
Ullrich was insanely talented & it worked for him

Yes, it worked so well that he achieved 20% of his potential.
Even with that 2 GTs and number of GT podiums. Not 30+ like Betancur

DBotero said:
He gave it a try today,so his level is clear.He might be ready for Le Tour if selected.
Don't give up the third week of this Giro yet. Today he wasn't good enough, but it wasn't that bad. Don't forget he and Kruijswijk did a lot of effort in the breakaway.

I don't expect him to ride the Tour de France. That would be too much. My only concern is he won't train again after this Giro when he goes back to Colombia. But let's stay positive, he races in the front again since a few days. ;)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

NairoQ said:
Jancouver said:
After todays stage, I think Fatancur is closer to being a sprinter than being a climber :D

And what is he, watching today's stage?

Well, as I said before, when you spend the winter joking around, you will never catch up during the season. Nothing too complicated about that.

And to answer your question, currently he really is closer to being a "finisher" than climber as that sprinting requires only a burst of energy where climber needs a proper fitness that is only achieved with long term training/planning.

Re:

hfer07 said:
two days in row participating in the breakaway only means he's getting better and better. keep going Bananito, keep slimming down that fat azz of yours :)

Until he becomes a precocious Thomas Vockler and can only win from the break. Not that I think Betancur will get another win in his career, no.

Re:

hfer07 said:
two days in row participating in the breakaway only means he's getting better and better. keep going Bananito, keep slimming down that fat azz of yours :)

If he keeps going like this with breakaway after breakaway,he'll not finish this Giro.He should target a stage win and that's it,spare his efforts and concentrate on this goal.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

hfer07 said:

Slimming down or fat azz has nothing to do with his current "performance" ...

hint ... there is quite a few slim guys in the pro peloton that cant climb $H!T ...