• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
23 years old - 5th place at Giro and Maglia Bianca & 3rd place at FW...Awesome!:eek:
Now he is my second biggest hope after Quintana.Really looking forward to la Vuelta and Worlds.:)
Vamos Carlos:cool:

Not suprised by his long mountain performance. As is pointed out by others before me he had shown he can do well on long climbs before. Just not consistent enough yet. This was a great Giro by him. I think he lost nearly all of his time on Nibali in the long time trial, and the rest of the time in the MTT+last mt stage?

If he had a decent ITT he would have finished podium. Amazing!

SergioHenaoBetancur453_2924286.jpg

Can't get over how huge his legs are and how well he did in the bigger climbs. Definitely would have got at least his 14th 2nd place of the Giro without the bike issues on stage 20 :D I[ve had my eye on him but first time I got to watch him through a race.

and an interview in spanish http://youtu.be/pvAz9Du3hdM?t=2m50s

aarononymous said:

Can't get over how huge his legs are and how well he did in the bigger climbs. Definitely would have got at least his 14th 2nd place of the Giro without the bike issues on stage 20 :D I[ve had my eye on him but first time I got to watch him through a race.

Many thanks for that video.

Im assuming "profe" is the name of the interviewer, or is it some Paisa slang?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not suprised by his long mountain performance. As is pointed out by others before me he had shown he can do well on long climbs before. Just not consistent enough yet. This was a great Giro by him. I think he lost nearly all of his time on Nibali in the long time trial, and the rest of the time in the MTT+last mt stage?

If he had a decent ITT he would have finished podium. Amazing!

If the weather hadn't destroyed all those stages, Betancur would have finished on the podium.

ILovecycling said:
23 years old - 5th place at Giro and Maglia Bianca & 3rd place at FW...Awesome!:eek:
Now he is my second biggest hope after Quintana.Really looking forward to la Vuelta and Worlds
Vamos Carlos:cool:

gustavoduncan said:
and 4th at lieja

And Liege and especially FW was despite doing suicide attacks. Usually when someone attacks that far from bottom on Huy they end up like 20th.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
aarononymous said:

Massive legs :D
Thanks for the video,even I understood it with my bad spanish :D...but still wonder(like hitch) what is 'profe'?

The Hitch said:
Many thanks for that video.

Im assuming "profe" is the name of the interviewer, or is it some Paisa slang?

I assumed it was short for Profesor a usual term or respect there although I think Doctor is more common. I'm pretty sure this applies kind of like Usted. My wife says Betancur is totally "chirrete" (like a urban street kid:D) which makes me like him even more.

There are a few pics of him from the Giro where it looks like he has Hulk legs but since Henao's legs was a favorite topic of Ryo I figured it was a good comparison.

It's great to see the joy in the interviewer, he appears happier than Carlos.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Looking forward to that. He should do great at the Vuelta. Plenty of mountains and short uphill sprints for him. A podium would be a fantastic result and based on his skill-set he would have a good chance of it.

I know one guy who already made a spot on my Vuelta CQ team. :D Although he might be kind of expensive by then. :eek:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
http://www.elespectador.com/deporte...3-carlos-betancur-me-gustan-los-grandes-retos

"I asked the team if i can do the Vuelta, and they said yes. After that worlds."

Oh lord. the Vuelta is so suited to Betancur. tt is too long as i recall to win overall but he can win so many stages there and probably podium.

In worlds i expect hell attack from far again and cause carnage. Maybe podium as well.

Wow thats great!!!
Who are the favourites for la Vuelta?Henao,Porte,Nibali,Sanchez,Majka,1 Movistar guy,Blanco guy, and Betancur?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Wow thats great!!!
Who are the favourites for la Vuelta?Henao,Porte,Nibali,Sanchez,Majka,1 Movistar guy,Blanco guy, and Betancur?

Porte's not riding, at least not 100%. He's doing Tour.

It's gotta be Henao, Betancur, and Nibali as the big names. At least fully committed with no Tour.

Basso, Majka others I guess.

Sanchez is too old to challenge for GT podium, Movistar will have someone as you say.

And as it's Vuelta, there may be someone unkown we never heard before challenge the best ;)

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Porte's not riding, at least not 100%. He's doing Tour.

It's gotta be Henao, Betancur, and Nibali as the big names. At least fully committed with no Tour.

Basso, Majka others I guess.

Sanchez is too old to challenge for GT podium, Movistar will have someone as you say.

And as it's Vuelta, there may be someone unkown we never heard before challenge the best ;)

Anton, Purito, Valverde, Contador??

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Carlos Betancur: de recoger café, al podio del Giro

http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/ci...de-lo-jovenes-en-el-giro-de-italia_12830620-4

He did not like picking up coffee. I guess you are going to have to use Google translate. Sorry.

Thank you,very interesting childhood Carlos had:)
Google translate usually suc.ks for this type of article,but even with my bad spanish i could read it(except few diff words):D

Ecarabajo,I assume you are from Colombia?What are the responses in recent months as for colombian cyclists in Europe?:)

ILovecycling said:
Thank you,very interesting childhood Carlos had:)
Google translate usually suc.ks for this type of article,but even with my bad spanish i could read it(except few diff words):D

Ecarabajo,I assume you are from Colombia?What are the responses in recent months as for colombian cyclists in Europe?:)
Very good. But sadly just like in many other countries they are more focused on soccer. For instance at this moment they are more interested in the Falcao transfer from Atletico de Madrid to El Monaco. And also about the next national soccer team meetings for the eliminations for the Brazil World Cup.

Few months back around November I had a conversation with some Colombians at a dinner. They were not truly cycling fans but they would show interest if somebody brought the subject to them. They were talking about the 80's and how good of an era that was and how come that era never came back. And how we have never had cyclists like in the 80's again. They were completely shocked when I told them that we are going through the best time of our cycling history. They kind of laughed at me. I told them to wait a little and they would listen about them in the news. I especially talked to them about the “Fabulous Five” That we would get GT victories from them. That we never had so many Colombian in Europeans roads since the 80’s. They asked me why they don’t read about them in the news. I told them to wait a little.

Shortly after the conversation took place Uran took silver in the Olympics. And after all that has happened this year now people are starting to show more interest again. In fact yesterday I read that Colombia for the first time in History is first in the UCI points classifications. The problem was that the victories and podiums were not coming yet until this year. Only we, cycling fans knew about it.

In fact if you take the stage to Tre Cime di Lavaredo and add Quintana and a healthy Henao we could have swept all the first positions (in different order of course, because of Nibali’s good form). And those are the Fabulous Five. And to be honest I wasn’t sure that Betancur had it in him and now we are sure that he can be consistent for three weeks (Be Afraid, very afraid). The only one that has underperformed is Duarte. But even he was coming along during the third week. If it wasn’t for his poor training schedule. Duarte is still to prove that he can hold a good form for three weeks. He hasn’t proved that yet. Anyway here is the article from Cyclingnews about the UCI points classification:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-moves-to-second-on-worldtour-rankings-after-giro-victory

WorldTour rankings - Nations
1 Colombia 766 pts
2 Italy 720
3 Spain 707
4 Great Britain 509
5 Australia 437
6 Belgium 408
7 Netherlands 396
8 France 366
9 Switzerland 362
10 Slovakia 322
11 Poland 312
12 United States 294
13 Slovenia 266
14 Ireland 247
15 Czech Republic 120
16 Norway 98
17 Portugal 94
18 Germany 80
19 Russia 42
20 Lithuania

This is the Colombian Renaissance or even better. I am hoping for the best.

Escarabajo said:
Very good. But sadly just like in many other countries they are more focused on soccer. For instance at this moment they are more interested in the Falcao transfer from Atletico de Madrid to El Monaco. And also about the next national soccer team meetings for the eliminations for the Brazil World Cup.

Few months back around November I had a conversation with some Colombians at a dinner. They were not truly cycling fans but they would show interest if somebody brought the subject to them. They were talking about the 80's and how good of an era that was and how come that era never came back. And how we have never had cyclists like in the 80's again. They were completely shocked when I told them that we are going through the best time of our cycling history. They kind of laughed at me. I told them to wait a little and they would listen about them in the news. I especially talked to them about the “Fabulous Five” That we would get GT victories from them. That we never had so many Colombian in Europeans roads since the 80’s. They asked me why they don’t read about them in the news. I told them to wait a little.

Shortly after the conversation took place Uran took silver in the Olympics. And after all that has happened this year now people are starting to show more interest again. In fact yesterday I read that Colombia for the first time in History is first in the UCI points classifications. The problem was that the victories and podiums were not coming yet until this year. Only we, cycling fans knew about it.

In fact if you take the stage to Tre Cime di Lavaredo and add Quintana and a healthy Henao we could have swept all the first positions (in different order of course, because of Nibali’s good form). And those are the Fabulous Five. And to be honest I wasn’t sure that Betancur had it in him and now we are sure that he can be consistent for three weeks (Be Afraid, very afraid). The only one that has underperformed is Duarte. But even he was coming along during the third week. If it wasn’t for his poor training schedule. Duarte is still to prove that he can hold a good form for three weeks. He hasn’t proved that yet. Anyway here is the article from Cyclingnews about the UCI points classification:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-moves-to-second-on-worldtour-rankings-after-giro-victory

If Duarte was on a world tour team then Colombia would have even more points.

Thanks for the insight Escarabajo. It is definitely an exciting time for Colombia cycling and for cycling fans that love aggressive, attacking cycling. I'm looking forward to the Colombia team to get a proper training program in so that they can add to the renaissance. The future is bright!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:

Thank you very much for this post,appreciate it:)
I wish very best for colombian cycling.When I see one of the 'Fabulous Five' attack,Im just delighted,they do it with so much ease,I really love it.Fingers crossed for good transfers,training and injury-free career for all of them.

TRENDING THREADS