• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
arrogant? if you win and you say you are the best it's not arrogant

The main problem is that most of the population is using the word arrogant or arrogance without really knowing what it really means.
Unfortunately its pretty usual even in a speech of really educated man:(

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
the asian said:
Reason? Is it coz he's such an entertaining rider?

there are lots of entertaining riders that get a ton of hate

liking someone or not is somewhere deep down on each person and not following logical rules

i'm indifferent towards him with a slightly balance to dislike because of the "lazy" reputation, i don't like lazy people.

VeloHuman said:
Crazy that this was his first WorldTour win. Maybe Kwiatkowski picks up his first this week, too.

Yep, this was not a win although he was convinced it was. Giro 2014, stage 9.

2013_giro_d_italia_stage9_carlos_betancur1.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
What's Benanito mean? (out of curiosity)

Great win from him the other day also BTW. He become one of my favorite riders the way he rode the Giro last year, and I'm liking him even more the way he's riding this year. I think he's proving himself to actually be not quite as lazy as we all think.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
What's Benanito mean? (out of curiosity)

Great win from him the other day also BTW. He become one of my favorite riders the way he rode the Giro last year, and I'm liking him even more the way he's riding this year. I think he's proving himself to actually be not quite as lazy as we all think.

bananito means small banana ito is the diminutive in spanish

Guybrush said:
Anyone knows why his nickname is "la ronca"? he snores (ronca)?
I read in some forums that's about his voice

When he was younger, there was a famous singer that was nicknamed "la ronca" because she had a deep voice and since he also had a deep voice, they started calling him that. Carlos is also called "bananito", but he himself prefers "la ronca". There is a very good mexican ESPN sportscaster, Goga Ruiz-Sandoval (bicigoga). She LOVES cycling and has become the go to interviewer for most of latin american riders in WT/Pro conti level.
She has interviewed Carlos several times. He has brought it up before with her, that "La Ronca" is the one he likes. She also got Nairo to admit the nickname he likes, "Don Nairo". She now refers to both of them by those nicknames.

gospina said:
When he was younger, there was a famous singer that was nicknamed "la ronca" because she had a deep voice and since he also had a deep voice, they started calling him that. Carlos is also called "bananito", but he himself prefers "la ronca". There is a very good mexican ESPN sportscaster, Goga Ruiz-Sandoval (bicigoga). She LOVES cycling and has become the go to interviewer for most of latin american riders in WT/Pro conti level.
She has interviewed Carlos several times. He has brought it up before with her, that "La Ronca" is the one he likes. She also got Nairo to admit the nickname he likes, "Don Nairo". She now refers to both of them by those nicknames.

Lol Quintana didn't like Nairito? :D

Parrulo said:
This guy trully is talented to be able to be so good so soon after that!

I just hope his mentality changes a bit because with age he might not be able to find his form so fast and could really feel the lack of base miles latter in the season.

Yep. I really like him as a rider. Lazy Genius :cool:

Hope he doesn't become the next Andy Schleck.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
gospina said:

I know her! Goga is amazing! and i will use this two "official" nicknames :)

I actually hope he keeps being the lazy kiddo he is now...for example part of the fascination I had regarding Ullrich was about how he was overweight until around Dauphine, and then at the Tour he was rocking (and sometimes he was a little overweight even at the start of the Tour!!! :D )

Lovin' it.

TRENDING THREADS