• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
AG2R should never have let him stay in Colombia that long. His days on the European cycling scene may be over.

From what I can gather from his twitter and such he loves his family a lot, but you have to make some sacrifices if you're going to be a pro cyclist in Europe. Maybe he doesn't have what it takes to make those sacrifices.

I can't imagine the local scene in Columbia pays enough for him to choose a pro life back home. He doesn't have an education or technical skill to fall back on AFAIK. Having a family is expensive when both parents are working, but if he's the sole income?

He'll be back. Someone will take him back and give him a chance to relive past glory. He's too talented not to. Maybe an international team is better suited to massage his fragile ID than a french team.

What level he comes back at is another story... :rolleyes:

ILovecycling said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Escarabajo said:
Banana_Joe said:
No Vuelta for him!
AG2R finally sending a message.
He is done. Better start looking for another team.
his career is done and he made enough money to never worry again in colombia
I doubt this.
I dont know his contract details but I doubt he made more than 1M euros.If he plans to live more than 60 years on this planet it won't be enough to not 'worry again'

I could live all my life very well with the half of that money, and in sopain, not in Colombia.

Taxus4a said:
ILovecycling said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Escarabajo said:
Banana_Joe said:
No Vuelta for him!
AG2R finally sending a message.
He is done. Better start looking for another team.
his career is done and he made enough money to never worry again in colombia
I doubt this.
I dont know his contract details but I doubt he made more than 1M euros.If he plans to live more than 60 years on this planet it won't be enough to not 'worry again'

I could live all my life very well with the half of that money, and in sopain, not in Colombia.
Drinking beer and in cockfights?

Escarabajo said:
Drinking beer and in cockfights?
Well, if he can stay off the cockfighting it should quite last a bit. @ COP 11,000/six-pack @ COP 3,500 / € you'd need to set aside about €45,000 renting about 5% in euros to insure yourself a two-six pack daily stipend for infinity (it's important to have goals in life).

It's all moot anyway. He's under contract until 2016 and he's not stupid enough to break it. And again, he's 25, he's contended and won at the hilly classics, he's got a GT top five, and even half-arsing it he's good enough to finish in the top-20 in the Giro without even trying and almost win a stage. Unless he breaks down completely he's not "done" by a long, long shot.

Of greater interest is what AG2R is trying to do with him. They haven't won a Vuelta stage in years and even an out-of-shape Betancur was a better bet to win a stage than anyone they brought (and I'll stand by that even if they end up winning a stage -the only guy on that team that's won anything this year is Pozzovivo, and he'll be fighting for the GC edit: forgot about Gouegard. I don't feel too bad about it). I think they're suicidally set on freezing him out of the team to try and get him to quit.

He signed his first (and current) contract 3 years ago, when he was 22. Lots of potential, but also lots of unknown (both have prevailed at certain times). I doubt his contract is that good and that, after 3 years, he can comfortably survive on that.
Even less when you drink and bet, and you are used to certain life style.
If he thinks that way, he will crash into reality soon.

Bonus: If Taxus thinks he can live the rest of his life with half million euros in Spain, you can calculate his advanced age

Re:

slosada said:
He signed his first (and current) contract 3 years ago, when he was 22. Lots of potential, but also lots of unknown (both have prevailed at certain times). I doubt his contract is that good and that, after 3 years, he can comfortably survive on that.

and he might have paid French taxes on those wages too...?

slosada said:
Bonus: If Taxus thinks he can live the rest of his life with half million euros in Spain, you can calculate his advanced age

Taxus posted a photo of himself in another thread. He doesn't look that old. But he might be a monk with such low overheads.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Drinking beer and in cockfights?[/quote]

I have taxus on ignore so initially I havent seen the answer...but that is pure stupid or you are(Taxus) very economized,I dont see a way how you can live a Life with this,assuming next 50 years of your life that would be 10000€ per year excluding spain inflation rate :D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
you can easily life of 1 million euros for the rest of your life. let's say you loan this to a bank for 10-20 years you'll get 4-5% rating which would be 40000-50000 a year. a very big salary in colombia

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
you can easily life of 1 million euros for the rest of your life. let's say you loan this to a bank for 10-20 years you'll get 4-5% rating which would be 40000-50000 a year. a very big salary in colombia
Well, the inflation in Colombia is at 4.5%, so that essentially eats up all of this salary you mentioned.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

maltiv said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Well, the inflation in Colombia is at 4.5%, so that essentially eats up all of this salary you mentioned.
obviously not. inflation is 4.5%$ so what? that means prices rise 4.5% a year that doesn't change the fact you can easily live of a high income

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:

He can live with that of course without worries and he can race in South America if he doesn't care about Europe anymore.Even a quarter of those money will be enough for the rest of your life in an eastern European country these days.

Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Betancur has left AG2R La Mondiale
That's one way to put it. :p

No surprise there. Probably should have happened a year ago. I wonder where he'll wind up? He should probably ride for a team based in Colombia for now and if he decides sometime in the future that he's willing to fully commit to racing in Europe he can always come back assuming he performs well in S. America.

zQLjk9d31jlMQ.gif

it was expected. There is so much a team can put up with a rider's bad attitude towards his profession, like Carlos has over the last years. Talent alone is not enough -there is the "discipline & the commitment" when a contract is signed and what is expected from the athlete to return in kind for it..
I truly hope this is an eye opener for him and gets on track soon enough to "rescue" his career.

Good Luck Bananito.

I can't feel sorry for him. It's not like he wasn't given many a opportunity to get back on track - but instead gave the middle finger to his team and the fans with his obnoxious and infantile behaviour. Props to AG2R, I'd have been much more ruthless much sooner.

TRENDING THREADS