• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ricco' said:
How old is his son?

He really seams to love that kid and I'm starting to think that he doesn't care much about coming to Europe so he can stay more time with him.
Around 1 year I think.
I believe you are right, if you look on his instagram, 99% of his posts these days are about his son, his wife and his family.
Perhaps it would have been better for him to sign for a Colombian team so he can still be with his family a lot.

LaFlorecita said:
Ricco' said:
How old is his son?

He really seams to love that kid and I'm starting to think that he doesn't care much about coming to Europe so he can stay more time with him.
Around 1 year I think.
I believe you are right, if you look on his instagram, 99% of his posts these days are about his son, his wife and his family.
Perhaps it would have been better for him to sign for a Colombian team so he can still be with his family a lot.
I thought he was planning on moving his family with him when he went over to Europe. Sometimes kids motivate people to stay home more, sometimes, to work harder. That "for him I'd give anything in this life" line could go both ways.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Movistar has been suggesting to Betancur to come to Spain to live with his family. In Pamplona, Dayer and Nairo Quintana live with their families and they think it would be great to Betancur to train and prepared the races together.

Re: Re:

classicomano said:
Escarabajo said:
classicomano said:
Carlos will skip the Colombian Nationals. He wants to focus on the Ardennes now.
So he will focus on the Ardennes by skipping the nationals? How are those two events exclusive? :confused:
Its Betancur logic so who the **** knows. He might just end up traveling to the Ardennes to go rafting or something.
:D :D :D

Could be too cold still!

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
BigMac said:
rote_laterne said:
Still waiting for him to prove AG2R was wrong ..

What do you mean prove AG2R wrong? He's only got himself to blame for them parting ways.

Of course. But I'm pretty sure rote_laterne is putting himself in Carlos' mind :)

Now that I read again it can have even another meaning. Maybe rote meant they're still waiting for him to do anything decent at all, while he agrees with AG2R. Don't know, was too quick to read. Sorry. :)

The guy keeps postponing everything... before we know it, its August and he and Movistar decided to try to prepare for the 2017-season by racing those 5-10 extra pounds off in the Vuelta. Just got nostalgic for a while when I saw him on the Mur in 2013, but I think its a little too late by now to have any kinds of expectations for the Ardennes if those are gonna be his first race. HOPEFULLY he will do decently and have the Giro in mind, but I doubt that Betancur can turn up in the Giro with 3 race days and do something. He needed what... 30 in 2015 to be half decent half way through on a couple of stages?

I dont know if it has been mentioned, but I read somewhere that Nairo and Dayer wanted him to move to Spain with his family, I think that was what originally was thought out by Movistar signing him, the fact that they already had 3 Columbians, but I dno what to make out of this situation as it is right now..

Re:

staubsauger said:
Maybe, just maybe with Valverde & Quintana focus on Giro & Tour Movistar wants Betancur to slowly but steadily build up towards the Vuelta!?

That's the only tiny little hope left in the end.

Im pretty confident that Quintana wants to try to race the Vuelta as well - at least if he doesn't win the Tour. Quinco has been adamant about racing less before the Tour in order to be 100% ready for that which also implies that he wants to be fresher for Olympics and possibly the Vuelta. And you never know with Valverde...

But I think that the main goal for Betancur should be racing at a high level in the spring, Im pretty sure thats how Movistar feels about it.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Maybe, just maybe with Valverde & Quintana focus on Giro & Tour Movistar wants Betancur to slowly but steadily build up towards the Vuelta!?

He should be happy if he even make the team for Vuelta! Unzue is a serious man, he will not make experiments like that

Re:

staubsauger said:

Unzue is a very clever DC in dealing with the riders programs, but I doubt he's going to play the game of "waiting" on Betancur, knowing in advance his issues aren't lack of talent or skills, but rather discipline & commitment to the profession. He's got to prove himself worthy of his improvements to get a chance to go to races a a leader.

TRENDING THREADS