• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
hrotha said:
Those Movistar riders come across as bullies to me, to be honest.

I think they are well mad they did all that work and someone else was pretty much better then them. The only rider who could follow for them was their least desired rider lol
Alex Dowsett @alexdowsett
Yep, Betancurs back! Cool guy to ride with as well. All smiles, even in today's weather. Nice job @cabg1989

Axis said:
del1962 said:
Great that he is back, I doubted him, but yesterday he sowed his talent

Hope he does the Giro, any bad weather will suit him

No Giro for him.

Which I dont understand. Hopefully he won't be told to prepare for the Vuelta like previous year cause we all know whats gonna happen. Have him on a short leash, Suisse/Dauphine and bring him to the Tour if he's good enough which he should be at 80-90%.

Re:

Pentacycle said:
If that video posted earlier was from today's stage, you can see Betancur working on the front of the pack well before the final. Shows either how strong he is, or how the other riders were hurting in this weather. Anyways MOV tactics made some sense, and Bilbao might have overreacted.
Clipboard_zpsglu38y7d.jpg

pretty nasty weather I thought

Just to recap, Betancur is still 1 in GC, 3" ahead of Bala in Castilla y Leon after the 2nd of 3 stages.
Valverde stated that he would love for Betancur to win the GC but doesn't know how tomorrow's stage will be.
Tomorrow's stage ends on a cat 1 climb. Here are the current standings.
As in previous (5? 10? 4ever?) years, Movistar/Caisse dominates this race with Caja Rural complementing.
Winner is just hanging around in 5th place and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends 1,2,3 Movistar

1 Carlos Alberto Betancur Gomez (Col) Movistar Team 8:49:11
2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:03
3 Pello Bilbao Lopez De Armentia (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA 0:00:15
4 Carlos Barbero Cuesta (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros RGA 0:00:46
5 Winner Anacona Gomez (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:56

Bala says: "I also wish yesterday's awful weather doesn't bring any illness," he said. "Even more than the Classics, I expect this to be a good preparation before the Giro. It will surely bring some morale up on me, so I can be afraid of none at the start. I'd love Carlos winning this race tomorrow - we'll see what we can do about that tomorrow."

Class act that Bala, he'll give Carlos the win! :)

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
I also think he will a fair bit stronger tomorrow...
I've had a strong dislike for Movistar since 2005 (back then, under the name Illes Balears).

It was the penultimate stage of some Spanish stage race. The last stage was a time trial, and the man in the yellow jersey was an Illes Balears guy, Iván Gutiérrez, who had been the Spanish time trial champion several times and held a non-negligible lead. So, anyone with a modicum of common sense says you protect Gutiérrez to help him win the overall, right?

Well, no. In the closing 20 km of the penultimate stage, Illes Balears sent Gutiérrez to work at the front of peloton to make sure the stage came down to a bunch sprint for Valverde to win. As a result, Gutiérrez blew up and lost the lead that day. A rider from some other team ended up winning the overall.

They basically sacrificed the overall win with Gutiérrez for a stage win with Valverde. It was not enough for someone in the team to win, it had to be the star. :rolleyes: I was very sorry for Gutiérrez and how he must have felt.

Re:

Carols said:
Bala says: "I also wish yesterday's awful weather doesn't bring any illness," he said. "Even more than the Classics, I expect this to be a good preparation before the Giro. It will surely bring some morale up on me, so I can be afraid of none at the start. I'd love Carlos winning this race tomorrow - we'll see what we can do about that tomorrow."

If Betancur is stronger than Peio in that hard climb, he will be the winner, but if no, it will be Valverde.

it will be again a fight Movistar-Caja rural. Movistar will look first and second by attacking with Valverde just the enough to Peio works with Betancur as his wheel. Valverde must be accurate in that case to be second and not to win.

Just if David Arroyo is very strong in the climb, but I dont think so, it will be different.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:

The kind of morale boost that comes with using semiamateur riders as a punching bag. :(

CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
I also think he will a fair bit stronger tomorrow...
I've had a strong dislike for Movistar since 2005 (back then, under the name Illes Balears).

It was the penultimate stage of some Spanish stage race. The last stage was a time trial, and the man in the yellow jersey was an Illes Balears guy, Iván Gutiérrez, who had been the Spanish time trial champion several times and held a non-negligible lead. So, anyone with a modicum of common sense says you protect Gutiérrez to help him win the overall, right?

Well, no. In the closing 20 km of the penultimate stage, Illes Balears sent Gutiérrez to work at the front of peloton to make sure the stage came down to a bunch sprint for Valverde to win. As a result, Gutiérrez blew up and lost the lead that day. A rider from some other team ended up winning the overall.

They basically sacrificed the overall win with Gutiérrez for a stage win with Valverde. It was not enough for someone in the team to win, it had to be the star. :rolleyes: I was very sorry for Gutiérrez and how he must have felt.

Was Carlos in that race? If not I fail to see the relevance in this thread.

Back to Carlos, I hope he wins tomorrow!

TRENDING THREADS