• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Popchu said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKiNrtsslE

Could someone roughly translate this interview? I don't speak Spanish.
He was looking forward to race MSR.
When it comes to GTs his main goal will be the Vuelta, but apparently he wants to ride the Tour.
Now he'll race a few Belgian classics to built some form, Pais Vasco and then the Ardennes classics (he said that he really likes them and that he's eager to race them).
Ps: I don't speak Spanish, but I was able to understand a bit of it.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Popchu said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKiNrtsslE

Could someone roughly translate this interview? I don't speak Spanish.
He was looking forward to race MSR.
When it comes to GTs his main goal will be the Vuelta, but apparently he wants to ride the Tour.
Now he'll race a few Belgian classics to built some form, Pais Vasco and then the Ardennes classics (he said that he really likes them and that he's eager to race them).
Ps: I don't speak Spanish, but I was able to understand a bit of it.
Thank you for the translation! I couldn't listen to it myself because I hadn't earplugs with me, but indeed, it was not that hard too understand some things.

Anyway, that doesn't sound too bad. It's good that he is scheduled to ride Pais Vasco (although he is not on the provisional startlist), and not Sarthe which is at the same time but of a lower level, so the management of Movistar must be confident that his form is OK. It could be the ideal preparation for the Ardennes. Last year he played a role in the finale of Liège, so with a better form he should be capable of doing great things in Liège.

Another positive element is that he has a clear target in the second part of the season: the Vuelta. Adding the Tour to that is maybe a bit optimistic, but it could a goal for him to work for.

Call me naive, but once again I have good hopes and I hope he can prove the doubters wrong who are saying that he's done. ;)

I think its weird for him to have La Vuelta as a big goal since he usually is 10-15 kg overweight at that point, but if it motivates him, then go for it. The Vuelta team will also be open when no Quintana is there, both him and Carapaz could be there. But just thinking loud, why not just the Giro? Its the GT he is most reliable for.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think its weird for him to have La Vuelta as a big goal since he usually is 10-15 kg overweight at that point, but if it motivates him, then go for it. The Vuelta team will also be open when no Quintana is there, both him and Carapaz could be there. But just thinking loud, why not just the Giro? Its the GT he is most reliable for.
If Betancur races consistently through the year with only short breaks, he'll have lost that 10kgs stopping him from producing good results. Maybe the Vuelta could be the best GT for him if he's settled in to his team and environment and has a strong base from the rest of the season.

I don't think it's actually physically possible for him to have a good base at this point. Not after at least three full winters of doing ***-all. You can more or less get away with that when you're still young, but as you grow older you really need a proper base to build on.

Bananito before the race:
10i5p9l.jpg

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Don't pay attention to what he said. He is completely off. He has no clue about what is going on. He keeps saying that he is motivated and yet shows up completely over weight. Then he wants to do the Tour de France. LOL. Is this guy drunk? And then he continues by saying to keep doing what he is doing. Really? To continue doing nothing??? I have seen some professionals in my life like that. These types of people just don't get it. They have an imaginary world in their head. Completely detached from reality. He is a goner IMHO.

Unzue cannot wait to get rid of him fast enough!

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Don't pay attention to what he said. He is completely off. He has no clue about what is going on. He keeps saying that he is motivated and yet shows up completely over weight. Then he wants to do the Tour de France. LOL. Is this guy drunk? And then he continues by saying to keep doing what he is doing. Really? To continue doing nothing??? I have seen some professionals in my life like that. These types of people just don't get it. They have an imaginary world in their head. Completely detached from reality. He is a goner IMHO.

Unzue cannot wait to get him to fast enough
Fixed that bit for you

TRENDING THREADS