• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
ice&fire said:
GuyIncognito said:
GC leader for the Giro, supposedly. I'm yet to see a credible source back that up, though.
I can see at best shared leadership with Amador until the race decides in favour of one of them.

This is more the more likely scenario.
The more likely scenario is he never is getting i proper shape still I reckon. Surely theres a DNF today, but thats to be expected

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
ice&fire said:
GuyIncognito said:
GC leader for the Giro, supposedly. I'm yet to see a credible source back that up, though.
I can see at best shared leadership with Amador until the race decides in favour of one of them.

This is more the more likely scenario.
The more likely scenario is he never is getting i proper shape still I reckon. Surely theres a DNF today, but thats to be expected

There is always this as well.

Betancur was still in the peloton in the last ten kilometers, doing some work at the front of the peloton and finished in 77th place. Good to have some kilometers in the legs. I think he's slightly better than last year at this point, but that's hard to compare ofcourse.

I'm curious to see what his racing calendar will be. I hope they won't send him for the third time in a row to Belgium, although he's on the provisional startlist for Wevelgem. Movistar is riding for the first time in recent years the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali, that's definitely a better alternative for Betancur.

Re:

Popchu said:
Betancur was still in the peloton in the last ten kilometers, doing some work at the front of the peloton and finished in 77th place. Good to have some kilometers in the legs. I think he's slightly better than last year at this point, but that's hard to compare ofcourse.

I'm curious to see what his racing calendar will be. I hope they won't send him for the third time in a row to Belgium, although he's on the provisional startlist for Wevelgem. Movistar is riding for the first time in recent years the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali, that's definitely a better alternative for Betancur.

No idea what their plan for him is. However they've already said they are planning on sending Soler to Paris-Roubiax for who knows what reason. Truthfully I'm not sure anyone has any clue what Movistar is doing this year.

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Dr. Watson said:
It will forever be a mystery to me how there are 135 pages about this guy
His off season weight gain and subsequent struggles to finish races became a meme in this tiny corner of the internet

There you have it. Mystery no more.

Thanks, I will gladly join this meme then

Dr. Watson said:
Squire said:
Dr. Watson said:
You obviously didn't watch him when he was the most exciting talent in the world.

And when was that?

Some years ago, to be fair. Then he became a mystery:
What - if any - shape will he be in when he turns up to races?
Will he even turn up to races?
Where is he?

Dr. Watson said:
Squire said:
Dr. Watson said:
You obviously didn't watch him when he was the most exciting talent in the world.

And when was that?

When he finished 5th at the Giro, 3rd at Flèche, and 4th at Liège at 23 in his first year on the WT.

His "early" FW attack is the best we've seen in years.

So he's riding Coppi e Bartali now which is good news. There's a bit of everything in this race with an ITT, TTT, sprint stage(s) and a hillier stage. I think it will be too early to have some results, but he definitely should show some form with less than two months to go to the Giro.

He had a good time trial - in line with his previous ITT performances - to conclude a rather anonymous but good week. And more good news: he's scheduled to ride GP Miguel Indurain and Pais Vasco, so it looks like he'll have a proper build-up to the Giro.

Re:

Popchu said:
He had a good time trial - in line with his previous ITT performances - to conclude a rather anonymous but good week. And more good news: he's scheduled to ride GP Miguel Indurain and Pais Vasco, so it looks like he'll have a proper build-up to the Giro.
Yeah, I noticed too - thats really a perfect schedule. Hope he can do well in Pais Vasco, but he won't have any freedom. He should have decent opportunities to make a big result in Indurain, altho its still maybe one week too early.

TRENDING THREADS