• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

slosada said:
Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started

I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
slosada said:
Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started

I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.

Movistar seem to be all about the Tour this year. The positions have reversed. Froome will have the Giro in his legs this time not Quintana. Quintana gets an opportunity especially if he can negotiate the cobbles in good shape. And if Froome does not start the race even better for Quintana.

And its looks rather so far. If they can place a rider in top-10 and win a stage, its definitely a success. Betancur should be improving, took a couple of stages last year in the Vuelta as well. Montevergine could already be a good opportunity, Gran Sasso is too hard I think.

Koronin said:
slosada said:

I'm fully aware of that, however in a MTF, with the race already on, doesn't seem too wise to get the best placed rider to the team car... Food or drinks? Get Valls or anyone else bar Carapaz or Dayer. Radio doesn't work? Get a teammate to relay the messages.

slosada said:
Koronin said:
slosada said:

I'm fully aware of that, however in a MTF, with the race already on, doesn't seem too wise to get the best placed rider to the team car... Food or drinks? Get Valls or anyone else bar Carapaz or Dayer. Radio doesn't work? Get a teammate to relay the messages.

Well we area talking about a team that doesn't actually use the radio as much as other teams. However, you'd think the riders would know they have one. On the other hand, I have seen Valverde go back to the team car to talk with his director because he didn't want to do it through the radio. Of course not when the race is on and typically not in big races. I do agree he could have asked one of his teammates to go back instead. Although I'd say any of them except Carapaz who is also well positioned.

Today, nice flat sprint stage, and somehow he manages to lose a couple of seconds. Go figure.

Koronin said:
slosada said:
Koronin said:
slosada said:

Well we area talking about a team that doesn't actually use the radio as much as other teams. However, you'd think the riders would know they have one. On the other hand, I have seen Valverde go back to the team car to talk with his director because he didn't want to do it through the radio. Of course not when the race is on and typically not in big races. I do agree he could have asked one of his teammates to go back instead. Although I'd say any of them except Carapaz who is also well positioned.

Today, nice flat sprint stage, and somehow he manages to lose a couple of seconds. Go figure.

He confirmed today that he had a mechanical (kept on having one). His gears weren't changing and that's why he lost some time. He wasn't happy about it either.

gospina said:
Koronin said:
slosada said:
Koronin said:
slosada said:

He confirmed today that he had a mechanical (kept on having one). His gears weren't changing and that's why he lost some time. He wasn't happy about it either.

Thanks. That's definitely a good reason for it. I can't blame him for being unhappy either.

press conference from May 14th, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOQjSoXL7c

Translation (my own, so, self-evident disclaimer that any mistake are mine):
"Yesterday, I thought that if I stayed on Froome's wheel for a little bit I could make up some ground to the leaders but then realized he wasn't having a good day. Regardless, that was my spot, I couldn't be farther up ahead".
It doesn't state that his spot was due to ability or team orders. I think purposely said ambiguously.

"In any case, it was a great stage for me, one of the best results in a mountain stage for me this year and that continues to motivate me".
"This will be a very long Giro, already due to the many transfers, at least, from my career, I never had to do so many transfers, which impacts rest, recuperation, the team, etc. On the 3rd week this all adds up. There are people that will pay for their efforts these first couple of days while I'm more of a diesel engine".

"In hard races I always end up doing better and better and I expect that this Giro will not be the exception to this. On the 2nd week, I believe I will be much closer with the best and on the 3rd week I will be fighting with them (for stage/position)".

"And if I have to help Richard Carapaz, there will be no problem. He is demonstrating that he is currently by far the strongest in the team and there will be no issues in helping".

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Epic trolling by Betancur.

I mean, 60kg?!
He's really tiny so it's perfectly possible. I even dare to say he might weigh even less. Sergio Henao who's quite a bit taller and is overally larger framed has 61 kg, at least procyclingstats says that. Or do you think Betancur is 65 kg, same as guys almost head taller such as Nibali or Kreuziger?

Anyway this official number are not much worth. I think most riders say bigger weigth than they actually are.

TRENDING THREADS