• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like the hype...then nothing...then a glimpse...then nothing :eek: .

Waste. Yes, he could have been. He's not. He won't be. Not that I can't see a big win in Betancur's future, because he has the talent. But for a career, he's a waste. As portugal11 put it a while back, I'm not a belieber, I don't believe in Santa, really what a waste.

Tonton said:

Waste. Yes, he could have been. He's not. He won't be. Not that I can't see a big win in Betancur's future, because he has the talent. But for a career, he's a waste. As portugal11 put it a while back, I'm not a belieber, I don't believe in Santa, really what a waste.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-romandie/2019/prologue

Escarabajo said:
Tonton said:

Yeah, thats not really a good counterargument if an argument at all at this point. This level needs to be sustained and built upon for his statement not to be true, not having a decent month doing what you actually are paid to do.

Escarabajo said:
Tonton said:

That makes him right now as good as Rui Costa, whatever that means :p

Re: Re:

hammerthaim said:
We saw it last year in the Giro. He's on his way to an almost anonymous top-20 without being of any significant help to his team leader.
He didn't finish 15e at Liege last year though. We'll see today, but he looks good for now.
Last year, however, the weather conditions were much better. We all know Betancur copes very well with cold and bad weather, so maybe it gives a little bit a distorted picture. Nonetheless, you are not 15th at Liege only because of the weather, so yes, his form is there.

In general, he looks better than the previous years. The way he rides through the peloton (I refer to Omloop), his interviews, his win in Klasika Amorebieta, ...

Regarding his program, I see he is on the provisional startlist for the Giro. With Valverde unsure, he will probably start. I'm not too happy about this. In the interview after Amorebieta, he clearly stated: Romandie - altitude - Dauphiné - build up to Vuelta as his program. Was this his own wish, or did the Movistar staff change their minds? If the latter, this is very short term thinking.

My Spanish is very, very limited but I understand Marca is also torn between the decision whether to send him to the Giro, and take advantage of his current form, or don't overload his program and target other races this year, with a chance of disappearing again and throw away all the work done over the last few months.

But, he's not going to the Giro according to this article?

https://www.marca.com/ciclismo/giro-italia/2019/05/03/5ccacc2ce5fdea607b8b45a4.html

They do conclude that the logic dictates he should do the Giro.
Con estos números y las buenas prestaciones que ya ha alcanzado, lo lógico sería que estuviera en la nómina del Giro, lo que le colocaría a 51 días de competición a 2 de junio, en caso de que finalizara la ronda rosa.
But, in general, the writer expressed his concerns how he does great after a block of race days, and then throws away 15k quality Kms by disappearing.
Notice, though, that in the same outlet, Lastras named Amador as Valverde's replacement.

TRENDING THREADS