• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav and Lance down for Tour of Ireland

pmcg76 said:
Yeah, real pity it is only 3 days but its better than nothing I guess. Seen the last day on St.Patricks hill last year and it was fantastic. Race lead changed a number of times in the last hour.

was there for that day too - was a great afternoon on st patricks.

why have they shortened it this year? (or should i read an article somewhere)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
was there for that day too - was a great afternoon on st patricks.

why have they shortened it this year? (or should i read an article somewhere)

They said it was due to the economic climate - however I didn't see any report that Bord Failte or An post reduced their sponsorship.
In fact a new sponsor is in.
Lance is reported to have made close to $1,000,000 to ride the Tour of Australia - it would be interesting to know what he has charged for his participation.
It seems we got LA but lost two days racing - obviously he is a huge draw for the stakeholders but I dont believe it is in the best longterm interest for the race.

I really hope that is not the reason for the event being shortened or I will be seriously pi**ed. I thought Lances appearence was a tie-in with a Cancer summit taking place at the same time in Dublin. Wouldnt be surprised if he was looking for appearence fees also though.

I think the field will be improved this year regardless of Lance as it does not clash with the Vuelta and there is no Tour of Germany. Despite turning into a grear race last year, the depth of the field was pretty weak, nowhere near the level of the old Nissan Classic. Cav had a field day winning 3 stages.

I hope there is not a huge amount of fairweather fans because of Lance, this is one of those low key events that you can get pretty close to the pros, maybe even have a chat or whatever. Dont want to fbe fighting my way through hundreds of 'touristy Lance watchers'

Will the last stage be in Cork again, hope so, the first stage is heading to Waterford so seems logical.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I really hope that is not the reason for the event being shortened or I will be seriously pi**ed. I thought Lances appearence was a tie-in with a Cancer summit taking place at the same time in Dublin. Wouldnt be surprised if he was looking for appearence fees also though.

I think the field will be improved this year regardless of Lance as it does not clash with the Vuelta and there is no Tour of Germany. Despite turning into a grear race last year, the depth of the field was pretty weak, nowhere near the level of the old Nissan Classic. Cav had a field day winning 3 stages.

I hope there is not a huge amount of fairweather fans because of Lance, this is one of those low key events that you can get pretty close to the pros, maybe even have a chat or whatever. Dont want to fbe fighting my way through hundreds of 'touristy Lance watchers'

Will the last stage be in Cork again, hope so, the first stage is heading to Waterford so seems logical.
Ya- you just want to visit that lady down in Cork again!!

There will certainly be more 'fanfare' about the race with Armstrong's participation and I would assume the sponsors to the event were asked to chip in more. But with the economic crisis globally - but particularly in Ireland- I would assume the sponsors balked at the idea and hence the shortened event - IMO.
I just hope Armstong doesn't do what Fignon did in the Nissan of 88 and pull out on the first stage with his appearance money in his arse pocket.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Ok, now I am starting to worry that you actually know me!!!

Hahaha no! But you have to be careful what you say around here!

On the Tour of Ireland website they say that they have pulled it back to a 3 day because 'of the economic climate'. But at the end they say they will be returning to a 5 day next year!!! I think that confirms my earlier suspicions!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Damnit, where is this TofI website that has any updated news? The main site is still stuck with a pic of Strongarm, and revelations that he will be there for a cancer conference dating to Feb 22nd. Otherwise, they only changed the header last night to read the right reduced dates.

I was there for the finishes in Waterford and Cork last year. First time on Patrick's Hill, I am hoping they have at least one stage finish there again this year - it is the Irish answer to l'Alpe d'Huez. I should be back for the Waterford stage again (from quite near there, though living abroad now). Hopefully they'll make up for the shortfall with a two short stage day like they did in the days of the Nissan - short TT (say Carrick to Clonmel: a TT sounds like a part of a LA deal to win "the hearts and minds" - and prize money - of the Irish) in the morning; punchy longer stage in the afternoon (Clonmel to cork with maybe three laps), or maybe an early day 130-150 km stage and a city centre crit that evening

I'd be well fizzled off if it is a "unforeseen expenses" issue. The fact they expect it to be back to usual next year is very telling. I'd expect that Cavendish is coming on condition that the first stage at least is fast and flat with no significant hills in the last 25km. Others who are famously not taking a wage are going to be looking for more. Making the world aware of the most famous life threatening non-sexual illness isn't cheap you know:cool:

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76..did you ride for Lucan CC/IRC in the 80s/90s before legging it to USA?

The attraction of Armstrong would be worth paying for as the madia would then actually give it the coverage it deserves .. rasing the profile of the event among fair weather/casual fans is the whole idea of sponsorship, and now with the cycle to work scheme/resession it's a chance to get Joe Public back intrested in Road Racing here again

No I didnt ride for Lucan, definitely not from Dublin and nowhere old enough to fit that profile.

I like the idea of a double stage, a short TT and a road stage on the Saturday that would be good with the Sunday stage the same as last year.

I was just checking last night, the Tour is up against Tour of Limousin, Tour of Benelux and a few Italian races so a lot of ProTour teams can send their riders. Astana, Columbia are confirmed. I think Garmin, Cervelo & Saxo will also come over, not sure who else.

Hopefully, we will have Martin, Roche & Deignan actually competing this year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well, in fairness, there was a good TV show on RTE covering the Tour of Ireland, and the TDF is currently live on TG4, daily, with a highlights show, which is more than we got in Roche and Kelly's day: it is my great regret that I am not able to get it in order to hear lines like "Yuri Trofimov on foireann BBOX Bouygues Telecom agus Fumiyuki Beppu le Skil anois ar deireadh an peloton, agus sli fada deachair acu thus Mont Ventoux chuig crioch an staitse" (apologies for the lapses).

The crowds on Patrick's Hill were impressive last year, and Waterford wasn't bad - I do expect a big increase in Waterford due to Lance-mania this year though - hopefully they will have timetabled it to maximise audience and minimise aggro drivers going home.

was on st patrick's hill last year, and the ability to wander through the team camps afterwards and chat to them was great.
was looking to head back there again for this year's and with aerlingus/ryannair doing deals for around £5-£20 from london i'd be up for another fun weekend in cork.

can't believe that la is the reason they've shortened it - appearance fees?! it's not like he needs it. nice job though, charging people just to be there so he can raise the profile of cancer as if none of us know anything about it. what a con...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think split stages are a great thing and we should see it more often. At least the race won't always become the Mark Cavendish supported by Team Columbia show.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
What is cycling in Ireland like? Looks like a lot of hill and strong cross winds from the Atlantic (never been to Ireland).

Pretty much, generally you can just turn up and race once you have a UCI recognised licence. Races are very casual as in there are usually no trophies/flowers/podium (small cash prizes for first 6). Friendly atmosphere, and cater for all catogories from junior,women,vets,Cat 1, 2, and 3.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I think split stages are a great thing and we should see it more often. At least the race won't always become the Mark Cavendish supported by Team Columbia show.

Split stages aren't allowed by the UCI anymore - and I can't remember what category the Tour of Ireland is in but I assume that this is not an option.

I think the delay in releasing the stage route's is because the organization were hoping to get increased backing and didn't get it.
So now they are trying to squeeze out the stages. Bord Failte are a big sponsor so they wont be happy if its just direct routes in to the cities. I expect a wander in to Kerry again but feel the Whest will miss out.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Split stages aren't allowed by the UCI anymore - and I can't remember what category the Tour of Ireland is in but I assume that this is not an option.

I think the delay in releasing the stage route's is because the organization were hoping to get increased backing and didn't get it.
So now they are trying to squeeze out the stages. Bord Failte are a big sponsor so they wont be happy if its just direct routes in to the cities. I expect a wander in to Kerry again but feel the Whest will miss out.

Three Days of de Panne have split stages. Same for the Criterium International (I know ASO own it), Tour of the Med, Coppi-Bartali, and I'm certain it is the same in the Circuit de la Sathe, that is all I can think of. I know ProTour races aren't allowed split stages (Pays Basque used to be famous for this) anymore.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Three Days of de Panne have split stages. Same for the Criterium International (I know ASO own it), Tour of the Med, Coppi-Bartali, and I'm certain it is the same in the Circuit de la Sathe, that is all I can think of. I know ProTour races aren't allowed split stages (Pays Basque used to be famous for this) anymore.

I know it certainly is not allowed in the Pro Tour - but in the lower categoy is that not just for ITT's? Which would be fun but I dont think it will work here.

Then again isnt the organiser a relation of big Pat McQ?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Darach McQuaid is Pat's brother.

Shouldn't be a problem so....

Day 1.
Stage 1. Prologue in Dublin.
Stage 2. Dublin - Waterford.

Break for dinner.
Stage 3. Waterford - Cork.
Tea.
Stage 4 Cork - Killarney (night stage)....

Day 2..........

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Shouldn't be a problem so....

Day 1.
Stage 1. Prologue in Dublin.
Stage 2. Dublin - Waterford.

Break for dinner.
Stage 3. Waterford - Cork.
Tea.
Stage 4 Cork - Killarney (night stage)....

Day 2..........
:D

Shame it is only 3 days; split stages would make something more of an event.

As for the night stage, I'd have that through the "scenic" midlands.

As it is the rest day on Le Tour...

Now that the full route for the Tour of Ireland has been announced, I am glad it is doing the Cork/St.Patricks hill finish again.

However, one thing that bothers me and always has is why the /Nissan Classic/Tour of Ireland never went or goes north, does that part of Ireland not exist or something. The route always seems to include Galway, Dublin, Waterford, Kerry & Cork and I think the furthest north the Tour has been is to Sligo once in the Nissan era. I understand that during the Nissan era, Northern Ireland was off-limits but times have changed now and would be good for that part of Ireland.

What about Donegal? the terrain is similar to Kerry, Galway with some really tough climbs and the Ras is a regular visitor but the Tour of Ireland has never gone near this beautiful area. Also, it is home to a one of Irelands few ProTour riders, Cervelos Philip Deignan so what is stopping the organisers from taking the race northwards for once?

Maybe the organisers should rename it the Tour of Southern Ireland, they are worse than ASO!!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
As it is the rest day on Le Tour...

Now that the full route for the Tour of Ireland has been announced, I am glad it is doing the Cork/St.Patricks hill finish again.

However, one thing that bothers me and always has is why the /Nissan Classic/Tour of Ireland never went or goes north, does that part of Ireland not exist or something. The route always seems to include Galway, Dublin, Waterford, Kerry & Cork and I think the furthest north the Tour has been is to Sligo once in the Nissan era. I understand that during the Nissan era, Northern Ireland was off-limits but times have changed now and would be good for that part of Ireland.

What about Donegal? the terrain is similar to Kerry, Galway with some really tough climbs and the Ras is a regular visitor but the Tour of Ireland has never gone near this beautiful area. Also, it is home to a one of Irelands few ProTour riders, Cervelos Philip Deignan so what is stopping the organisers from taking the race northwards for once?

Maybe the organisers should rename it the Tour of Southern Ireland, they are worse than ASO!!

To answer your question - money!
It is failte Ireland who are one of the major sponsors- so they are not going to go in to NI. They are the piper and Alan Rushton will dance to their tune.

Being objective - The Ras is sponsored by the FBD who like to bring the race to the 'local community'. The TOI is interested in TV and bringing the race to the masses and showing the race to an international market. So I dont think the race will ever get further than Sligo.
Which as you point out is a shame - as its fab up there and there are lots of killer climbs too.

TRENDING THREADS