• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav as World-Champ should be riding Omloop AND K-B-K this weekend!!!!

It's not right that the world-champ i.e. Cav misses out on Omloop and he is only riding K-B-K this weekend. As the World-Champion he SHOULD most definitely have started Omloop today to give the race the respect it deserves. Even winning K-B-K tomorrow is not enough justification for not riding today.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Facepalm-jesus-facepalm-facepalm.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No he shouldn't, Sky have more capable man than Cavendish on the cobbles. Now he'll be extra fresh for Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne where he can actually win. It's called being realistic.

That is exactly my point. Cav is being realistic by riding K-B-K only. If he were a true World-Champ he should have at least started Omloop and supported his team-mates, if only psychologically by being there.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Respecting races in the rainbow jersey is all well and good, but not at the expense of lessening a rider's chances to win another race that deserves respect.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
A true world champion would ride 450 race days. Clearly Cav just doesn't give a **** about cycling.

He should also forego sleep in favour of training 8 hours each night then racing in the day. If he's not racing he should stay on the bike 24/7 untill the next race. Anything less is just not giving the jersey the respect it deserves. Respect the jersey's authoritah!

bladerunner said:
That is exactly my point. Cav is being realistic by riding K-B-K only. If he were a true World-Champ he should have at least started Omloop and supported his team-mates, if only psychologically by being there.

That's ludicrous. His team should give the race the respect it deserves by putting in a lineup that will actually be the best for the race. Or are you mad at Cadel Evans for not riding Paris-Roubaix in 2010?

bladerunner said:

How is he going to psychologically support the team? There aren't any radios, so unless he climbs off on the Haaghoek so that he can psychologically support his teammates by cheering them on as they go past the second time?

Libertine Seguros said:
How is he going to psychologically support the team? There aren't any radios, so unless he climbs off on the Haaghoek so that he can psychologically support his teammates by cheering them on as they go past the second time?

And you defend this guy but constantly slate Schleck. Dear oh dear oh deary me.

ferryman said:
And you defend this guy but constantly slate Schleck. Dear oh dear oh deary me.

There is a difference. Mark Cavendish has chosen (or his team has chosen) not to ride a race to which he is not suited in order to provide better support for the riders who are. Schleck would have rode anyway but dropped out or just acted generally like he didn't care, and taken up a roster spot for his team.

What is more of a disrespect of the rainbow jersey, picking your race days based on ones you can compete in? Or lolling around at the back and climbing off?

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Carlo Algatrensig said:
Just to prove I have Nothing better to do I've looked it up and did the following riders disrespect the race by not riding in it as reigning world champs?

Freire (twice)
Cippolini
Bettini
Ballan
Evans

Sorry mate, you come across as too much of a 'Try Hard', Kool Katz like 'Bladerunner' and 'The Youngest' have very knowingly and ironically got you in their pockets as you display too much effort! Obviously the World Champ isn't worthy of his bands.. ; )

Thanks for doing the research Carlo.
I think Friere did ride Het Volk in 2003 and Bettini did also in 2007 and they did not ride the other times because they were not well. The point is that riders do not tend to wear the jersey many times in their career and it is tradition that they ride the first big race in Belgium. I like Cav and I think he is fantastic but I just think that he & his management play it too safe. Cav would have had an absolutely BRILLIANT reception in Ghent yesterday from all the true fans knowing that it wasn't his type of race but his presence would have generated so much positive energy for everyone involved.
Never mind, let's see how he goes today at K-B-K.