• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish angry

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Animal said:
Possibly a lot of US posters seem to not realize that in the US, cycling is a more middle class pursuit, and the pros that emerge out of the US tend to be college graduates with some social graces, and an education to fall back on.

In the UK, you can still encounter the gobby working class git cyclist, who if he weren't a cyclist would be down the pub waiting for someone to look at him funny. That's just how some people are.

He may be only 5'4", but I've seen his type.

And so have I. The Brit Hod carrier was often small and light for running up ladders and ramps carrying a heavy load of bricks or tiles; but as nuggety as hell. They were re-known as being the toughest guys on a construction site. OK we have machinery now for such jobs: but the legend lives on among the Brit working class. It would be risky to assume too little from these guys. Whether Cavendish himself is as good with his fists as he is with his legs, I wouldn't have a clue.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
OK, folks, enough with the personal comments. Stop it now.

Susan

Susan, I take it from the sequencing that your comment may be referring to my post. A point of clarification - a post that refer to another poster's comment as naive is not personal. It's a comment on the idea.

So they pull him out of a race before the final two stages, both of which they know he'll get nothing for them from. Sensible stuff really, be seen to be making a stand against his childish gestures whilst not having to sacrifice anything. If there was another flat sprint stage, maybe they'd have thought twice about withdrawing him.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
janus1969 said:
Without the aid of revisionist history, could you possibly name one? I don't mean someone who won a few big races, but a real champion. I'm honestly trying to recall the last time we, as a society, honored and respected such a person...the two I can come up with in modernity are Oscar Freire and Fabian Cancellara.

sorry but fabian was a complete jerk to cadel evans in last years TdF when he tried to get in a break with him in the 8th stage. with all his gesturing, it looked alot like fabian was having a tantrum at cadel

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Cavendish the future

Being reading the papers and the main cycling story is Cavendish. What a idiot & a total plum.
Many people would love to do the job he as and if he carries on the same way he will blow it.
It shows he can`t be in the same team as Gripel and also look as a transfer is coming up this year for the Isle Of Man cyclist. But I don't think Sky will touch him if this is what they will receive.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Really, people need to stop parading Cipollini as some sort classy exhibitionist. I like him, he was great for cycling, but as I stated earlier in this thread, he got thrown off the Vuelta for punching another cyclist (Cerezo). It wasn't a heat of the moment thing either - it was at the sign in. Cerezo needed stitches.

McEwen I'm also a fan of, but he wasn't shy about putting his head in during a sprint.

If you want to hold these two up as models of decency against Cavendish, then you clearly think that violence is more acceptable than mere gestures which is mental. Neither are good, but for god's sake get some perspective.

Whatever. Look at Zabel then for a classy sprinter.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
The 50 lbs you mention is it by pure coincidence the exact same weight of the chip on your shoulder?;)

Sorry, too much beer in me late at night running my mouth (fingers). I forgtot I wrote that until I just read it. :eek:

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Offtheback said:
And so have I. The Brit Hod carrier was often small and light for running up ladders and ramps carrying a heavy load of bricks or tiles; but as nuggety as hell. They were re-known as being the toughest guys on a construction site. OK we have machinery now for such jobs: but the legend lives on among the Brit working class. It would be risky to assume too little from these guys. Whether Cavendish himself is as good with his fists as he is with his legs, I wouldn't have a clue.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-mark-cavendishs-htc-columbia-scott-addict

They have Cavendish listed at 175 cm and 152 pounds.

I agree. My dad is a 5'4" , 2nd in the National AAU wrestling champs. Lost to Japanese National Champ in finals, He won more than a couple prestigious college tournaments and also pinned US Olympic team members. Also a NYC ironworker, along with his 5 brothers. It's not just the fists. It's the mind. People like that "do what they have to do," if you get my drift. Meetings between the construction manager and the foreman usually take place on the ground floor.

Odd how most people don't denigrate the pit bull by mentioning that it's not all that big of a dog. With people who can take care of themselves, as with pit bulls, most of the time there are no warning shots. There's a blow that matters followed up by a bunch more just to make sure. Maybe some gouged eyes, groin shots, and hyperextended joints. Whatever it takes.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-mark-cavendishs-htc-columbia-scott-addict

They have Cavendish listed at 175 cm and 152 pounds.

I agree. My dad is a 5'4" , 2nd in the National AAU wrestling champs. Lost to Japanese National Champ in finals, He won more than a couple prestigious college tournaments and also pinned US Olympic team members. Also a NYC ironworker, along with his 5 brothers. It's not just the fists. It's the mind. People like that "do what they have to do," if you get my drift. Meetings between the construction manager and the foreman usually take place on the ground floor.

Odd how most people don't denigrate the pit bull by mentioning that it's not all that big of a dog. With people who can take care of themselves, as with pit bulls, most of the time there are no warning shots. There's a blow that matters followed up by a bunch more just to make sure. Maybe some gouged eyes, groin shots, and hyperextended joints. Whatever it takes.

Funny you bring up the Pit Bull...rule of thumb, don't fear the dude walking with a Pit Bull...his courage is at the end of his leash..instead fear the man walking with the teacup poodle in his pocket...for he truely knows who he is and what he is capable of doing...

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Funny you bring up the Pit Bull...rule of thumb, don't fear the dude walking with a Pit Bull...his courage is at the end of his leash..instead fear the man walking with the teacup poodle in his pocket...for he truely knows who he is and what he is capable of doing...

I don't really fear people but I fear the damage they can do. My favorite, when I was a delivery boy, was, "he doesn't bite!" He doesn't bite you but I'm coming on your property and that's the dog's turf, he's supposed to bite me.

I have the same fear with angry/oblivious/careless women driving SUV's. I know I can kick their ***,;) but I'm on a bike and they're blowing by me at 50mph.

I met Mike Brown, former WEC featherweight champ, yesterday when I was out riding. I did a double take and called out his name. Real nice humble guy. He could have had the tea cup poodle in his pocket. Just like a pit bull though, real friendly, but don't cross him.:D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
So they pull him out of a race before the final two stages, both of which they know he'll get nothing for them from. Sensible stuff really, be seen to be making a stand against his childish gestures whilst not having to sacrifice anything. If there was another flat sprint stage, maybe they'd have thought twice about withdrawing him.

I believe it does 'hurt' Cav's (& the teams) preparation for the Tour.
These 2 mountain stages are a key component in getting ready to suffer for July. We know Cav will win in pretty much every 'flat' stage,but it is in stages like stage 19 last year that are an extra bonus.

As he said in The Guardian on Wednesday:
"I'm never going to win a mountain stage but it's not a problem for me. As my form gets better throughout the season, I'm always going to suffer in the mountains but I'll be ready to suffer longer."

I actually don't understand Columbia HTC's logic in sending him home - a proper apology by him, not a written statement prepared by someone else - and a public fine would have been more appropriate. I think they over reacted to the negative publicity his antics generated.

Also the 'big wigs' on C-HTC need to look at themselves too for allowing things get out of control - it wasn't like there wasn't any warning bells before.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Kender said:
sorry but fabian was a complete jerk to cadel evans in last years TdF when he tried to get in a break with him in the 8th stage. with all his gesturing, it looked alot like fabian was having a tantrum at cadel

If your name is Cadel Evans you don't get to go in mountain stage breaks without dooming everyone with you. Evans knows that, or should know that. He will never be allowed to go away, and by joining them the only thing he's doing is ruining everyone else's plans.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
If your name is Cadel Evans you don't get to go in mountain stage breaks without dooming everyone with you. Evans knows that, or should know that. He will never be allowed to go away, and by joining them the only thing he's doing is ruining everyone else's plans.

fabian acted like a baby, end of story.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
End of story? Ah yes, if you say so.

Alternatively, though, I was actually paying Cadel a compliment. He's too good a rider to be allowed to go in a mountain stage as he's simply too dangerous for the peloton to gamble on. I take it everyone remembers Pereiro Sio?

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

Alternatively, though, I was actually paying Cadel a compliment. He's too good a rider to be allowed to go in a mountain stage as he's simply too dangerous for the peloton to gamble on. I take it everyone remembers Pereiro Sio?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:

No I understood. I think it was going to be hard for him no matter what to get time like that back!

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree it was going to be hard, but with his capabilities in the mountains he was never to going to be allowed to go away, especially that early on in the TdF. Had the same scenario unfolded two days before the end and Cadel was still down that much in the GC, then it would've been a different story.

In stage 8, what if the break works together well, Cadel goes all the way and behind them there's a major crash which causes all the leaders to lose several minutes before they're organised again? Bam, you've just let another contender back into the race. Too risky with someone like Evans.

Tom Boonen has said he has the same problem. He wants to go in the break more often, but because he's Tom Boonen he won't be allowed (unless in stages like the one in TA, where everyone knows he'll get shed once the road goes too uphill).

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Also the 'big wigs' on C-HTC need to look at themselves too for allowing things get out of control - it wasn't like there wasn't any warning bells before.

Totally agree, Cav is Cav and Greipel is clearly pi55ed off and not afraid of saying so. Letting this go as far as it has seems to have made both of them edgy about their future so no surprise they have been bigging themselves up to the press - and future possibilties.

But, there are some things in this thread which are just plain wrong - like SKY would be worried about Cav not being the perfect corporate citizen - does anyone seriously think the Murdochs, Snr especially, give a **** about decorum as long as the results are coming? Sky - never wrong for long - being first is all that matters.

The interview with Kimmage was so telling. Cav rubbished the mental side of things in the past, but it may well be time to have a blub on Uncle Dave's shoulder, do some sessions with Dr Peters and get in touch with that Inner Chimp :D

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Animal - in the nicest possible way - your nickname could not be more appropiate looking at your avatar.

What do you do when you are not biking? Defensive Line? Rugby League?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Totally agree, Cav is Cav and Greipel is clearly pi55ed off and not afraid of saying so. Letting this go as far as it has seems to have made both of them edgy about their future so no surprise they have been bigging themselves up to the press - and future possibilties.

But, there are some things in this thread which are just plain wrong - like SKY would be worried about Cav not being the perfect corporate citizen - does anyone seriously think the Murdochs, Snr especially, give a **** about decorum as long as the results are coming? Sky - never wrong for long - being first is all that matters.

The interview with Kimmage was so telling. Cav rubbished the mental side of things in the past, but it may well be time to have a blub on Uncle Dave's shoulder, do some sessions with Dr Peters and get in touch with that Inner Chimp :D
Hmm, yes & no.

Greipels criticism was at the team management - Cavs criticism was at Greipel, Greipel felt his form justified inclusion in MSR, Cavs response was that an out of form Cav is better that an inform Griepel. But the team management let things escalate.

Also - it was me who brought in the Sky angle - I will admit, it was more a hypothetical.
I agree to a point on the Murdochs - although if its 'wins' they are looking for then, so far, woops.... Sky (the Corporation) can spin any story to their favour - but presently Cav does not fit their image or their stated goals, ie a Tour win within 5 years.

As for the Cav and the mental side- I took the opposite view, I remember he commented that he went to British Cycling and they did a test and his numbers were 'average', and it was suggested to him to start thinking of a life outside of cycling.

My view is Cav doesn't need to find his 'inner chimp' or soft lighting, he needs a team that are prepared to get him to the front with 200m to go and he will do the rest.