• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Celebrating Too Early/Late

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2013
Visit site
I very much enjoyed Paolini's tribute to Pozzato:

70BC55295F6768BCBFF135B678B6_h287_w329_m2_q80_clFaloqLc.jpg

Teruel's celebration at California was particularly good because of how long it lasted, and the length of his effort to go clear before the end of the penultimate lap.

Too early:

Gianni Vermeersch at a kermess in Langemark on August 19 2012

1946734-605dde813eefa3d25aaafe9234c7acb2.JPG

1946734-6d8af754f13228be2cca47036b113e08.JPG

Too late:

John Degenkolb at Paris-Roubaix 2014 (but perhaps happy to be 2nd, I guess)

Zdenek Stybar at a stage of the Volta a Lleida 2007. I have no picture of that, no trace left on the web either but I clearly remember that he said it on his website at that time, though I can't find the article back. :( And he said it with a lot of self-derision and humour. :)

The Hitch said:
:confused:

Why don't you step aside and leave this thread to people who know what they are talking about, rather than just make up fairytales that have no basis in reality and pass them off as fact.
Ha ha you seem to have a anger management problem. Btw, do you know the saying: "Rookies tend to show off"?

Obviously I meant Caja Rural's 'second' win. I apologize to those I offended. :D
The 'winner' was Marcos Garcia, not Antonio Piedra.

641876024.gif

Marcato a few years ago in the Tour of Poland. He may well have actually won the stage had he not celebrated a lap early and virtually stopped

Yesterday it seemed like most of the peloton forgot there was one guy left in front. The way they sprinted, it wasn't just Matthews who thought he was racing for the win

Can anyone think of a case where someone won without realizing (apart from DQs) ?

scholar said:
I very much enjoyed Paolini's tribute to Pozzato:

70BC55295F6768BCBFF135B678B6_h287_w329_m2_q80_clFaloqLc.jpg

That was pretty much the defining moment of "That guy is just too cool!" for me. And let's not forget his awesome helmet.

luca_paolini_-roadbikeaction.jpg

Ruudz0r said:
Maybe a longshot but have there also been guys winning who didnt knew they won? (without disqualifications)

I'd imagine it happening rather frequently in close sprints.
Or are you asking if there's ever been someone who thought there were other riders up the road/thought there were still one lap to go?

mysterwatt said:
Marco Marcato at Cieszyn stage (Tour of Poland 2010)

For those like me who did not remember this one:
a46f9c55c516b6a9c8bca05b40f4379d.jpg

http://www.dingostew.com/phpBB3/cyclist-blows-win-with-early-celebration-t859.html said:
Italian rider Marco Marcato's early celebration cost him victory on the fourth stage of the Tour of Poland.

The race's 177km fourth stage ended with four laps of a 6.8km circuit around the Polish border town of Cieszyn, but Marcato misjudged his run to the finish after pulling away from the field.

Even though the bell rang to denote one lap to go, the Vacansoleil rider believed he had won, crossing the line with his arms aloft and blowing kisses to the confused crowd.

Only after he had slowed almost to a stop did he realise his error - but with his momentum gone and his legs aching from having sprinted too early he was quickly overhauled and then passed by the chasing pack.

Shattered, Marcato rolled over the line four minutes behind eventual stage winner Mirco Lorenzetto.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Echoes said:
Too late:

John Degenkolb at Paris-Roubaix 2014 (but perhaps happy to be 2nd, I guess)

He said in the interview afterwards that he was celebrating having won the bunch sprint for second (and doing so well, against such a field, at his age), rather than that he'd thought he'd won. And his celebration (with only one arm) hardly looked as if he'd thought he'd won.

TRENDING THREADS