• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chess! Do you play?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mad Elephant Man said:
I have played whole games blindfold before but not for a long time. Not sure I could do it now.
Some players are able to do blindfold simuls. A simul is where a strong player takes on a number of weaker players, it can be quite a large number sometimes. I have seen GM Ian Rogers, formerly Australia's top player, now retired, give a blindfold simul against 5 players, quite amazing.
I know, there are very good people out there :D
But I can't I'm afraid. I also realized I should have played 2. ...Nf6 instead of d6 :eek:

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I know, there are very good people out there :D
But I can't I'm afraid. I also realized I should have played 2. ...Nf6 instead of d6 :eek:

2... d6 is okay I think.
2.... Nf6 is certain okay as well.
2.... d5 is played alot.

But we can stop the game here. I should leave chess alone, it is not good for me.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Never played much before. Since the bar at my uni has a few sets kicking about, a standing weekly lunch date recently turned into a standing weekly lunch+chess date. She is currently trouncing me.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to play in school but some of the guys there are total geniuses who have won this tournament and that tournament. Still I won my fair share of games, including some against some of the top chess players in the school. Had to stop when things got a bit too violent though.. Currently I just play sometimes just for fun.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
aphronesis said:
I played consistently from childhood to graduate school, then let it lapse. It's in the list of things that I keep meaning to revive. I used to have a strong end and middle game but really had to study formal openings in order to advance.

Flip, I hate it when people come up with the elaborate openings. Every single player I play against studies and use the openings and so I am left attempting to defend myself from them and learnings how to scramble to save yourself. Yet I still never use openings just out of a matter of principle. :eek:

I like to drag the games out, but my end game when it comes to the battle for pawns tends to be a bit poor.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
A good knowledge of openings is a must if you play at a competitive level. Especially in games which have time controls.

Oh I know them and how to counter them..It doesn't make sense why I don't use them, but I don't enjoy playing competitively and so attempt to tone down the competitiveness.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Are there chess players in here?
Are you a professional?
Amateur?
Do you play only once per year?
This is the thread for you :)
We could also play against each other online! Or make a CN tournament :D

PS
I'm an amateur, lately I started studying some theory (never did before) but overall I suck. :p

A little. Just learned the rules cca 3 years ago, but I like it. My level is about level 4. playing Chess Titans in Windows Vista. Id like to try a game with you somewhere on web.

Re:

The Hitch said:
I play chess. Doesn't suit me too well due to my poor attention span.

Has anyone ever played "Go" and can compare the 2?
I played it a bit but never put any effort to really understand it, so I can't really compare, beside saying that it's completely different :p
Netserk said:
I'll probably lose, but I wouldn't mind having a game against Esh or someone else :p PS:Esh, where's Parlulzo?
In the OP three years ago I said I was an amateur, and I still am :eek: I play on the ICC if you want... I also had an account on chess.com but haven't used it in years.

Re:

Netserk said:
I have just signed up on lichess.org. I think it's way more fun to play against someone you 'know' than the computer or a random internet dude, so if you're up for it, it'd be fun ;)

Do you think our lazy Portuguese friend play?
next week ;)
No clue about Parrulo. He's been busy in real life lately iirc.

TRENDING THREADS