• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 218 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re:

Andre.J said:
Unfortunately it looks like Froome the ****** is in command now..unless he falls. Contador has reached his limits...Quintana doesn't have enough and is already too far off. Nibali is weaker than all the contenders. The French are cooked. Valverde is done. Van Garderen might stay a little closer (maybe 5 or 6 minutes by the end. The races now are for the Polka dot and Green. The rest is ****

I actually think AC will get stronger. He came out of the Giro and rested, then rode easy, and then did a small training camp. The first week of the TdF was still a building phase for him. I hope that Tejay can stay close, and maybe even challenge Froome a bit. I'm not ruling out NQ yet either. VN does look like he missed his target, but who knows, maybe he missed it short and will ride into better form this week. I'm hoping for some exciting racin!!

I'm glad that Froome said this:

“The guys gave it everything, everyone was really motivated for this team time trial,” said Froome. “Of course we saw Nico Roche struggling a little bit up that final climb but I mean that’s the nature of the team time trial, he put so much in earlier on. We can’t put it down to him struggling on the last climb. That’s just a team effort and today BMC were better than us.”

Too often we see something like Nico struggling and wonder "WTF, he screwed it for Sky", but maybe the reason they went so fast is because of the work he did earlier in the TTT.

Class by Froome.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Andre.J said:
Unfortunately it looks like Froome the ******* is in command now..unless he falls. Contador has reached his limits...Quintana doesn't have enough and is already too far off. Nibali is weaker than all the contenders. The French are cooked. Valverde is done. Van Garderen might stay a little closer (maybe 5 or 6 minutes by the end. The races now are for the Polka dot and Green. The rest is ****
Contador has reached his limits? Based on what?

I base it on his diminishing
strength towards the end of the Giro. And also on his lack of kick up the Muy....and the penultimate stage where we usually see the great Contador put in an effort for the stage victory. As sad as it is for me to say...but I think he has reached his limit. I just haven't seen his fire in the whole first week....that being said...I hope I am dead wrong and he comes back to crush that little Froome weasel.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
aTdrb9A.png

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
@SeriousSam what stages do you think are most likely to be won by Froome if you had to rank them?

IMO:

PSM
PdB
Alpe
Toussuire
Mende
Pra-Loup
I'm going to have to look at the profiles again, but I agree with PSM being the most likely and PdB second. Alpe is an interesting one, but I agree as well because he'll want to win that stage more than any other, even if his edge might have been dulled by that point. After winning Mont V in the yellow jersey, he'll want to repeat the feat the day before Paris, at the even more iconic Alpe.

LaFlorecita said:
Andre.J said:
Unfortunately it looks like Froome the ******* is in command now..unless he falls. Contador has reached his limits...Quintana doesn't have enough and is already too far off. Nibali is weaker than all the contenders. The French are cooked. Valverde is done. Van Garderen might stay a little closer (maybe 5 or 6 minutes by the end. The races now are for the Polka dot and Green. The rest is ****
Contador has reached his limits? Based on what?

Contador is still in the race of course but Nibali is on the edge. Quintana and Froome look to be the freshest so far of the big four. TJVG will be hoping for some sign of weakness as he is the obvious threat to the podium if he can avoid having a bad day in the mountains.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Another confirmation that Froome is nervous: Démare said that Froome exchanged some shoulders with him on the sprint stage on Friday and badmouthed him - 2 km from the finish. Froome has upset quite a number of people by now.
Steven de Jongh said he had heard the same from multiple riders, Froome will try crazy tricks to get into a safe position (ironic) like elbowing and shouldering. If he stays this nervous, it'll be a miracle if he doesn't crash :eek:

LaFlorecita said:
Jagartrott said:
Another confirmation that Froome is nervous: Démare said that Froome exchanged some shoulders with him on the sprint stage on Friday and badmouthed him - 2 km from the finish. Froome has upset quite a number of people by now.
Steven de Jongh said he had heard the same from multiple riders, Froome will try crazy tricks to get into a safe position (ironic) like elbowing and shouldering. If he stays this nervous, it'll be a miracle if he doesn't crash :eek:

That's called riding a bike.

Of course he was nervous in the first week, they were talking it up as 9 spring classics, you had to fight to get into good positions and now Froome does that takes the lead and folk are not happy about it.....I doubt he'll be nervous now because we are about to hit the mountains

Re:

rick james said:
Of course he was nervous in the first week, they were talking it up as 9 spring classics, you had to fight to get into good positions and now Froome does that takes the lead and folk are not happy about it.....I doubt he'll be nervous now because we are about to hit the mountains
Don't you think it is a bit odd that others view him as a crash hazard, because of the way he is trying to avoid crashes? Surely someone on his team should have seen how counter-productive his behavior was?

Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
Démare sounded genuinely, well, shocked. This wasn't on km 80 or something, this was in full sprint preparation, a GC guy coming to exchange blows with a sprinter.

Sounds like Demare needs to toughen up then. With the way the rules are GC guys have to be at the front (ok, maybe not that far forward!) and as a sprinter he's going to have to deal with it.

I'd guess it's more that Demare is not seen as a top line sprinter so maybe isn't let through the pack as easily as guys like Cav, Greipel, Sagan etc. and he gets frustrated.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
Démare sounded genuinely, well, shocked. This wasn't on km 80 or something, this was in full sprint preparation, a GC guy coming to exchange blows with a sprinter.

Sounds like Demare needs to toughen up then. With the way the rules are GC guys have to be at the front (ok, maybe not that far forward!) and as a sprinter he's going to have to deal with it.

I'd guess it's more that Demare is not seen as a top line sprinter so maybe isn't let through the pack as easily as guys like Cav, Greipel, Sagan etc. and he gets frustrated.

Exactly. And either haven't hear any whining by Cav, Greipel, Sagan etc.

Re:

Jagartrott said:

I'm thinking that Demare should better concentrate on his sprinting abilities which are lacking at the moment and leave Froome alone.I like Demare but crying about this is hilarious considering he's a sprinter.He should be happy that was Froome and not Renshaw.

King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:

But it's not just Demare who has complained about it, many riders are apparently a bit fed up with Froome and Sky's dangerous riding.